Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,433 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am moving to the area in about a week for a job and wanted to ask about communiting. My spouse will be working at the Dulles airport (5am-4pm) and I will be working in Silver Spring (6am-230). We have decided to move near the airport but I dont want to move anywhere that will make my commute worse. Which area would be best. I was told Leesburg but as far as the miles it seemed longer than sterling, herndon, reston and the chantilly area but was also told that the expressway is faster. Can anyone help with this please. Arlington and Alexandria are not really options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
So what is the question? You've already decided to move near the airport.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
What is your budget? The further east you can live, the better to minimize what will be a challenging commute for you while being a relative "reverse" commute for your spouse. McLean might be ideal notwithstanding the premium rents. The Merrifield area might work as well. I would suggest Idylwood but I don't know anything about their rental stock. Sterling, Herndon and Reston are fine areas but you may find yourself resenting your drive time to and from Silver Spring.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
Leesburg to Silve Spring would be an awful commute. Even Reston or Sterling to Silver Spring would be pretty miserable. Moving in closer to the Beltway would put you further from the airport but better comute to Siver Spring, and would give your husband a commute to Dulles that would be mostly against the main flow of traffic, so shouldn't be too bad.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 AM

231 posts, read 455,785 times
Gonna have to agree. This is a bad home-work pairing. Toll road to 495 and down to Silver Spring...

<shudder>

Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
The beltway has gotten much better in the past 3-4 months, I guess because of hot lanes construction winding down. It's going to be fully complete by the end of this year. I do Tysons to Silver Spring and it's about 45 minutes on average now each way, at the height of rush hour. Some days better some days worse. Hopefully it gets even better when the hot lanes are complete. Probably Tysons would be the best possible location for both of you, it's kind of in the middle and both commutes would be managable, but it is far more expensive than Leesburg. As others have said Leesburg to Silver Spring would be a bear. The farther in towards the beltway you can live the better for you but it will cost more. Where ever you end up make sure you're very close to the tollroad though, it will make your life easier. E.g. do not live in Chantilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia