Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM

49 posts, read 138,226 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I have boxes of paperback books, hardcover books and college text books. Where can I donate or recycle these items near Fairfax?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
The public library will accept the paperbooks and hard cover books. The textbooks will be accepted depending on how old they are. Most places won't take them--I had to recycle mine.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 PM

143 posts, read 335,885 times
Both the Goodwill and the Merrifield Unique have book sections and will accept your donated books. Don't know about textbooks though...it seems a lot of thrift stores will not accept textbooks.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Try a used book stores. You might make a few bucks out of them.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Most of mine were donated to the public library. If you itemize on your taxes, you can claim the donation.

If the books are very old and/or in wide distribution, you may have trouble at a used bookstore. They keep pretty tight control of the inventory and don't take on too many that would be poor sellers. If you have any, though, that might be good for high school kids (reading programs/AP classes etc) they seem to be good about taking those. Kids have to read many of the classics throughout high school so I found those easy to sell back.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Check your textbooks on here to get an idea if they are worth something, and if they are sell it to them or another online book seller. I've used them in the past. Cash4Books.net - Sell Used Books Online - Free Shipping, Fast Payment

For regular books, you can sell them to McKays in Manassas and get credit and/or cash (not much). Sometimes I feel like I am turning in 10 books for credit and can buy 2 books in exchange. But, it helps me unload books I don't want and get books for "free" that I do. It's not that hard to get to from Fairfax and a great place to spend a couple of hours browsing books if you love books and used bookstores. Plus McKays keeps a big bin outside their front door of all unwanted books that they won't accept. They're free for the taking.

If you want to spend a bit more time and earn some money, you can look your books up on Amazon and see if they are worth anything. But that could mean holding on to them for awhile until someone wants to purchase your book.

If you just want to donate, most places take used books. As someone mentioned, Unique, Goodwill, Salvation Army, libraries, Pennywise (in Vienna). What they don't use they will pass on or recycle themselves. Pennywise keeps a few "free" bins of books out front for books they don't take.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
amazon.com has a book for amazon credits program. They even provide the shipping label.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
A friend I know at a university at one time collected textbooks for African schools with which he has contacts. He boxes them up and when he gets a certain quantity of boxes, pays to ship them (not cheap; it is his contribution along with his time). The books are very gratefully received, as he expressed it, "they have so little and need so much." So, if you have a lot of them, you might contact a university library near you and ask if they know of anyone who does something similar.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM

49 posts, read 138,226 times
All, thanks for the tips and info!!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Here is another organization that will accept books for donation (with free shipping labels). Donate - Share Your Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia