Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 17,088 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am mommy new to Herndon/Reston area, and looking for day cares in the 20171 area (preferably close to work). I would like to see my son on camera if the option is available.

There are few day cares
1. Kindercare
2. Winwood
3. Beantree
4. Home day cares

We are relocating to this area, and up until now, he has only been used to nanny. Since he is more than a year now, I am planning to try how a day care/home day care works out.

Please help me in choosing the centers. I have heard Winwood is a long wait, is it really that good? Other centers, seats were available.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM

198 posts, read 358,837 times
Winwood does have cameras. There are a couple different Kindercare locations (North Village and Lake Newport are two). I'm not familiar with Beantree or any particular home daycares.

Another one in the area is Robert E. Simon Center (a couple blocks from Winwood), but no cameras, I don't think. www.simoncenter.org

One thing I found with the waitlists is that it can be hit or miss. For example, at one I was told it would be at least a few months before I got a spot because there were maybe 10 people on the list before me. I was called less than a week later and they had an open spot.

These are some of the many reasons that the lists can be misleading:
1) people often move away from this area or maybe decide to stay home so openings can change unexpectedly
2) the kids ahead of you on the list may not be ready for a spot yet (not yet born, still on maternity leave, etc)
3) the kids ahead on the list may be older now and need a spot in a different room
4) the kids ahead of you may have already accepted a position at another school since they were unable to get in this one and may be happy with their arrangement

So, if there's one that interests you, go ahead and get on the list and you may be surprised.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM

722 posts, read 1,926,821 times
I don't live in that area of NOVA, but two of my children attended Winwood in Gainesville (at age 3 and up for preschool, though) and we were VERY happy with it.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 17,088 times
I called up and suddenly got a spot open in winwood. But I wont be in Herndon for those dates, but they still want me to pay for that week when I am not there yet. They wont be able to hold the dates, so asking me to pay for dates even when I have not yet started. So I want to know if its really worth it. I have not basically moved to Herndon so have not visited any daycares yet. But dont wantto lose the spot in winwood if its that good. Pls suggest your ideas.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM

531 posts, read 1,431,282 times
From what I heard, Beantree is the best among the four. It does not have a wait list because it is a lot more expensive. If money is not a concern, I will choose Beantree.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 PM

199 posts, read 673,364 times
When we checked out BeanTree 4 years ago they didn't have cameras that you could watch online. They had cameras that displayed on a screen in the lobby. I imagine they have openings because of their cost. 4yrs ago the infant room was $1900/month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia