Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 11,076 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I am new to VA and would like to know what are my options to drive from Centreville to Alexandria around rush hour both (morning and afternoon)?

I definitely want to avoid 66 and 495 as much as possible, but mapquest is only giving me this option. Is there alot of traffic on Fairfax parkway? Or is there another route? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 AM

282 posts, read 873,319 times
Yes, there is a lot of traffic on the Ffx Co Parkway. There's just a lot of traffic. Having some flexibility, e.g., leaving before 6am or after 9am in the morning, is the best way to avoid the worst of it.

Here are some alternatives to try. However, you may find it's more of a change of scenery (creeping between stoplights, instead of creeping along the Interstates) than a quicker route.

Rte. 29 to Rte 236, 236 will take you all the way to Alexandria.
Braddock Rd to Rolling Rd to Old Keene Mill (which turns into Franconia) to Telegraph.
Braddock Rd to Backlick Rd to Edsall Rd.
And give the Ffx Parkway a shot, too.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Yeah, this is a little like trying to fly from O'Hare to O'Hare -- there's no way to avoid O'Hare. Your best bet might end up being just to stay on 66 as long as you can stand it, then find some way to back-road it to somewhere on 495 south of 66. It isn't going to end up being easy under any circumstances.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM

159 posts, read 278,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfraz View Post
Hi:

I am new to VA and would like to know what are my options to drive from Centreville to Alexandria around rush hour both (morning and afternoon)?

I definitely want to avoid 66 and 495 as much as possible, but mapquest is only giving me this option. Is there alot of traffic on Fairfax parkway? Or is there another route? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
What part of Alexandria, it's pretty huge? Near Old Town, Landmark, Kingstowne or Franconia?

I have discovered in my near 20 years of commuting in this mess, there are not many shortcuts that save time consistently. The major arteries (66, 495, 7100 now Rt 286 and 395) usually run better. On side roads, you can get caught in school bus, commuter bus or delivery truck traffic which slows things down because of fewer lanes.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 11,076 times
Thanks for all the responses. I will be commuting to near Landmark, Alexandria.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:15 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Your best bet is to take Braddock Road to 7100 South then continue onto Franconia-Springfield Parkway, then take Van Dorn St north to the Landmark area. This is the most free-flowing route by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia