Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,507 times

Advertisements

We recently moved but are unable to sell our previous townhouse in Woodbridge thanks to being completely upside-down on our mortgage, so we now have both our new home and the townhouse to "fix up." Before we rent out the townhouse, we need to have it:
  • professionally cleaned (because I just had a baby and am NOT cleaning it myself!)
  • carpets deep cleaned
  • landscaped (small front and back yards, admittedly have not been well maintained and haven't even been mowed yet this season!)
  • HVAC vents installed in the basement (the "finished" basement has laminate floors, panelled walls, and drop-tile ceiling, but NO heat/air conditioning vents! something we did not notice until we'd already purchased and moved in...)
We already had the townhouse freshly painted inside, and the company we used did a good job, but I would be open to suggestions for painters for our new home in Sterling (much more wall space thanks to cathedral ceilings). We could also use a landscaper for our new home; hoping to find someone who will do both Woodbridge and Sterling so we can use their work on our townhouse yard as a bit of a trial run to see if we want to use them for our new house as well.

I am seeking recommendations because I had a less-than-stellar experience with a contractor during a full bath remodel in the townhouse last year despite having checked their BBB rating and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM

199 posts, read 672,489 times
have you tried angie's list? I know it has a subscription fee, but for all the things you are looking for, it might be worth it. Plus you'll get a lot more user reviews per contractor.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM

262 posts, read 841,095 times
Nonprofit Ratings of Local Service Companies and Health Care Providers

Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
I had a good experience with Air Conditioning Units, Heat Pumps & Repair Systems Manassas | Heating & Air Conditioning Contractors Manassas, Woodbridge, Gainesville & Centreville, Virginia (VA). I recommended them to my coworker and she too liked their work/prices.

Can't help with the others, but good luck!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,023 times
The Washington Post has this site for local companies also.
Service Alley | Find Local Contractors, Painters, Electricians and other Home Service Providers

Also, check the sticky at the top of this thread on local businesses. We had our basement redone a few years ago and I know I added that info to the sticky (S&D Improvements) and I think you will find others there also.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 AM

301 posts, read 691,383 times
1. I have used a few different carpet cleaners over the years, and my personal favorite was Stanley Steemer. My former next door neighbor was in carpet sales and he recommended Stanley Steemer as well.

2. As for landscaping, I used Premium Lawn & Landscape and was very happy. They were significantly cheaper than a couple of other quotes I received (Merrifield Garden Center, etc.) and they did a good job. In fact, when I had sprinklers installed later, the sprinkler guy commented on the excellent work that the landscaper did with the field stone border.

3. I have a contractor who primarily does paint and small carpentry jobs. He painted my home and installed crown moulding/chair rail. He does good work and was much cheaper than other quotes I received. I haven't talked to him in a couple of years, but I'd be happy to pass along his info if you're interested.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM

199 posts, read 672,489 times
Groupon has a deal for half off Angie's List subscription, Angie's List Deal of the Day | Groupon Washington DC

Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post
Groupon has a deal for half off Angie's List subscription, Angie's List Deal of the Day | Groupon Washington DC
Excellent, thank you!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 AM

9,877 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post

I am a member of Angie's List and feel it has provided me some good recommendations on contractors. That being said, they have a (IMO) shady practice of renewal. Unless you call and make them change your preferences, they have an "automatic renewal policy" and will charge your credit card. While that might not be so bad, it is important to note that their "renewal rate" is $80 per year, which is significantly higher than the rate quoted on the website. By having automatic renewal, many people might not notice the increase.

I did, and immediately complained. If you call, they will give you the old rate, but it is not automatic.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,121 times
Joel, I'm just curious as to who you work for, since you have five posts, every one of them telling people to try SR Carpet Cleaning. I have my suspicions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia