Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 PM

65 posts, read 258,913 times

Advertisements

I live in Broadlands and I commute to Herndon for work. My route to and from work takes me thru a 4 way stop at Waxpool Rd and Ashburn Village Blvd. Frequently a cop will sit at one of the four sides waiting to catch people who have expired tags and safety stickers. My concern is that I feel this is entrapment. I of course was one of those people tonight. My safety sticker expired 2 DAYS AGO.. April! Its my fault because, I just kept putting it off.

Is this entrapment? Is this right? Is there anything I can do, besides taking off work and going to leesburg to fight it. Ill get the stupid inspection done this weekend, but I dont agree with their tactics. Any suggestions on what I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
No, this is not entrapment. Entrapment is the "luring by a law-enforcement agent of a person into committing a crime". You committed the crime all on your own; the officer had nothing to do with pushing you to commit the crime.

He only caught you.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
The situation you described is similar to a cop running radar while in the median of a highway. It's definitely not entrapment. You were caught fair and square.

Suggestions: Get your car inspected and pay the fine.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,560,991 times
He's also probably the one who sits on the downward slope of Croson near Belmont Ridge, tagging folks who juice it over the peak of the hill all the time! He also sits at that intersection to nail folks who roll the stop sign. I go that route every day myself, and have seen him too, just lurking off to the side, watching. Here's a tip on the Leesburg DMV, go during the week, not the weekend. I went one Saturday morning and it was jammed. They stopped letting folks in around 9:30am because they weren't going to get to all the people there before closing at noon. During the week though.....ghost town!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM

219 posts, read 472,407 times
They're even lazier in Fairfax County. They cruise through the park and rides during the day, and ticket every expired tag. Easy as shooting fish in a barrel!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
They're even lazier in Fairfax County. They cruise through the park and rides during the day, and ticket every expired tag. Easy as shooting fish in a barrel!
That doesn't sound lazy to me, unless you mean those too lazy to keep their tags up to date.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Wow, now I feel extra lucky. My tags were expired for almost a month before I noticed it. Glad I took care of it instead of letting it slide further.

Doubt it would do any good to fight it. Sorry it happened to you, though.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 AM

198 posts, read 358,356 times
The Fairfax law enforcement officers often stand at the toll booths entering/exiting the Dulles Toll Road because they can get a good look when the vehicles slow down. Usually they are in pairs - one looking at the stickers and waiving those in violation over to the side of the road, and one on the side writing tickets to those folks. I would say that in the last week, I've seen them at least five times. Of course, I think they had a lot more people pulled over in the last two days since some of the folks with April expirations forgot to renew (or took a gamble that they wouldn't get caught)!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post
The Fairfax law enforcement officers often stand at the toll booths entering/exiting the Dulles Toll Road because they can get a good look when the vehicles slow down. Usually they are in pairs - one looking at the stickers and waiving those in violation over to the side of the road, and one on the side writing tickets to those folks. I would say that in the last week, I've seen them at least five times. Of course, I think they had a lot more people pulled over in the last two days since some of the folks with April expirations forgot to renew (or took a gamble that they wouldn't get caught)!
I see them all the time on the Toll Road exits and I welcome this!! The more money they make from these tickets, the less they need from my tax dollars. And this is a good location, beause it doesn't slow down traffic.

(and, yes, I have actually received a ticket this way for an expired inspection. I thanked the officer, and drove immediately to an inspection station. Sent the check for the ticket the next day.)

Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM

198 posts, read 358,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I see them all the time on the Toll Road exits and I welcome this!! The more money they make from these tickets, the less they need from my tax dollars. And this is a good location, beause it doesn't slow down traffic.

(and, yes, I have actually received a ticket this way for an expired inspection. I thanked the officer, and drove immediately to an inspection station. Sent the check for the ticket the next day.)

I agree - it doesn't bother me that they do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia