Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM

126 posts, read 189,490 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a new town house in Ashburn (Brambleton area). I have visited some builders. I don't no why do they price such costlier even in the sluggish housing market and that too around 40 miles away from DC. They go upto half million for a town house. Are they worth the price?
Is it worth to buy? Is this the right time to buy? I'm so confused and also have been paying too much as rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Meh I bought in brambleton. I say they're worth it. But I wish they were a bit cheaper, but the area is really nice for what you get. They're also building this area up significantly in the next couple of years, so maybe that's why too? Haha I'm not sure. Which neighborhood are you lookin in?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome99 View Post
Is it worth to buy?
Times have changed. At this point you should only look at your primary residence as your long-term home; not necessarily a "money-making" investment. So, to answer the question; "Is it worth it?". Only you can answer that. Is it worth is to you to pay that price for that specific house? If so, buy; interest rates are low. If not, don't.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Default thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I like this area (Loudoun County Pkwy & Craigton Miller and Smith Grand Vista collection). I don't want to be in a very hectic area. I don't anticipate to make money out of it in a few years. I only want to buy at reasonable price especially everyone knows housing market here in US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Meh I bought in brambleton. I say they're worth it. But I wish they were a bit cheaper, but the area is really nice for what you get. They're also building this area up significantly in the next couple of years, so maybe that's why too? Haha I'm not sure. Which neighborhood are you lookin in?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 AM

423 posts, read 1,238,369 times
The builders charge premium prices for homes because they can ... pure and simple. Brambleton certainly doesn't have a reputation as the cheap part of town. I think that Spencgr it spot on ..... the current times are a bit different, and you should consider buying a house as a longer term commitment. Undoubtedly your home value will trend upwards, it just might take a little longer than we have been used to around this area.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Thanks. I agree. At the same time if you visit some of the websites like redfin lot of new town houses and new homes listed couple of months back are not sold yet. They are still on the market. That really confuses me. How should I bargain? Any tips..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
The builders charge premium prices for homes because they can ... pure and simple. Brambleton certainly doesn't have a reputation as the cheap part of town. I think that Spencgr it spot on ..... the current times are a bit different, and you should consider buying a house as a longer term commitment. Undoubtedly your home value will trend upwards, it just might take a little longer than we have been used to around this area.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,562,913 times
6 years or so ago, the average entry price to this part of Loudoun was around $1 million. With the events of the past few years in the economy, this area has changed a bit. Recently I attended a study on the market for residential. Loudoun county is THE tightest market in the country in terms of housing stock and land lot availability. There is a price point though of significant change in supply: $600,000. If you're under that price point, there is less than a year of available developable lots and stock. If you go over that price point, the inventory jumps to a 5 year supply. Home builders are looking at this area in context of the $1,000,000 days, and knowing that at some point the housing market is going to recover. Therefore, townhomes offer the most bang for that buck for a builder. More profit from a smaller lot investment. I have a feeling that if it weren't for the Loundoun planning board people, no single family homes would be getting built out here right now, just town houses.

That being said, a rising tide lifts all boats. The question is, and data of the past would suggest, that a single family detached home in Loudoun for under $600,000 would be the safest bet for when the tide begins to rise again. Not saying the town house won't rise too, but with less homes and more town homes being built here now, it'll be a balance supply and demand when that time comes, and it is coming, make no mistake about it.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,562,913 times
Also, some of those new houses listed months ago that aren't sold, aren't actually built yet, they're on there for advertising the decoplemt purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia