Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 PM

373 posts, read 874,677 times

Advertisements

I know you want your nest, but I would definately recommend renting for a year or two. That way you have time to check out various areas and also to settle into a job. You probably wouldn't want to settle on a house then either have a long commute or have to miss out on a job opportunity that would be good for you (or your boyfriend). I also wouldn't worry too much about schools yet. You aren't married yet, so assuming you did get married in a year or two, then have kids a year or two after that, your kids wouldn't start kindergarted for 7-10 years. In 7-10 years, you'll likely be thinking of/already bought another house for a variety of reasons, such as want a bigger house, one closer to your work, etc. I wouldn't pick a house that goes to a terrible elementary school, but I wouldn't worry that it has to be the best yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,134,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
I know you want your nest, but I would definately recommend renting for a year or two. That way you have time to check out various areas and also to settle into a job.
I have to agree with spleuchan. Since you're not familiar with the area AND you do not have jobs, it does not make sense (to me at least) to find a permanent/semi-permanent place right now.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,134,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyborninDC View Post
What we are looking for;
Walkable area. I'm from a small town where you could walk everywhere, and it was residential around a small downtown with a few shops. I couldn't live somewhere that sprawled out with strip malls and McMansion developments...

. . . Short-ish commute. I know the DC commutes can be horrendous depending on where you live, but I'd prefer to stick close by. At most a 20-30 minute commute is acceptable. The commute from my town to Center City, Philly was only 10 minutes hahah I have high standards . . . .

Honestly, just looking for a stable, safe-feeling, comfortable suburb that is walkable and has a 'small-town' feel. I keep hearing how no DC suburbs have that feel, but hey, I figured I'd put it out there.
Hmmm, have you visited the possible towns you're looking at? Not sure what clarifies as "small, walkable" areas but there are very few in NOVA that compares to the Philly area--mainly because most of NOVA is new building. DelRay has also been mentioned. And that's probably the only one I can think of that also offers the short commute you desire. There's a small old townish part of Fairfax City as well as Vienna, but the bigger place is Leesburg which is a much longer commute. Although Reston has been mentioned, the walkable area is basically a large Town Ctr -- quite nice for movies and dining but not a "small town feel". And it's newish and everything else around it is newish.

Have you considered areas of Washington, DC? And I realize you are already looking in Maryland. You mentioned house criteria but not square footage or age. If you prefer an older home, you might find something that may need a little work but at least you can design it to your specifications. Good luck with everything!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM

29 posts, read 68,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
I know you want your nest, but I would definately recommend renting for a year or two. That way you have time to check out various areas and also to settle into a job. You probably wouldn't want to settle on a house then either have a long commute or have to miss out on a job opportunity that would be good for you (or your boyfriend). I also wouldn't worry too much about schools yet. You aren't married yet, so assuming you did get married in a year or two, then have kids a year or two after that, your kids wouldn't start kindergarted for 7-10 years. In 7-10 years, you'll likely be thinking of/already bought another house for a variety of reasons, such as want a bigger house, one closer to your work, etc. I wouldn't pick a house that goes to a terrible elementary school, but I wouldn't worry that it has to be the best yet.
I completely agree on this but my question is how much weighting should you give to schools in this situation when you dont have kids and they will go to school in 7-10 years and want to buy a home? Because the person who is going to buy from you when you try to sell is going to look at the school ratings etc, right? Reason I asked is I am in similar situation(no kids yet) and looking for a house and some of the areas where I looked up the school ratings were 2 or 3 star out of 5, although they fall in my price range, so should I really pass up on those places?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM

9,786 posts, read 15,885,405 times
You should check out Town of Vienna. I think you would like it. I'm from PA and visit NJ frequently, so I "get" the small town thing. There's not much like it here, unfortunately. I think Town of Vienna comes pretty close and has a lot of strong points - good schools, small-town feel, relatively close in, has a Metro stop, is centrally located in the DC area, is relatively affordable (and has a lot of starter-size homes). Hope this helps. I've lived here for 11 years and love it!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,986,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin347 View Post
I completely agree on this but my question is how much weighting should you give to schools in this situation when you dont have kids and they will go to school in 7-10 years and want to buy a home? Because the person who is going to buy from you when you try to sell is going to look at the school ratings etc, right? Reason I asked is I am in similar situation(no kids yet) and looking for a house and some of the areas where I looked up the school ratings were 2 or 3 star out of 5, although they fall in my price range, so should I really pass up on those places?

Thanks
I don't think you should pass them up. It depends what else the area has going for it. Are there public transportation options, walkability, night life, activities, etc? What is attracting you to the area (other than price?) If those are things that will still be there in 7-10 years when you try to sell the house, then new buyers will likely still find value in those same things.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM

373 posts, read 874,677 times
Quote:

Thanks
In my opinion its all a guessing game. I bought a house a little over a year ago and the elementary school was rated a 4 out of 5. On the same website, it is a 2 out of 5. I don't think the elementary school is any worse than it was a year ago. These ratings fluctuate from year to year. I think you really just have to look at the area and decide whether or not you think that will still be a good area when you go to sell. If you like the house and area and don't have a reason to think it will go down hill soon, I would get it.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM

429 posts, read 1,167,321 times
Quote:

Thanks
Basically, I agree with Spleuchan and CaliTerp07. All other things being equal, it is good to be in a strong school district, but if you don't personally need schools, there's generally no compelling reason to pay a premium for them. Yes, good schools will help resale value and ease of sale, but if the school system is weak, that should be reflected in a lower price to begin with.

The other thing I'd add, though is that you should consider the linkage between school and type of housing. If you're buying an efficiency or a one-bedroom apartment, your target audience isn't likely to have kids and probably won't care about the schools. If you're talking about a 4 bedroom SFH, the people who are likely to buy will probably care very much about schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia