Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,342 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I came here a few months ago asking for advice on where to live in VA and Im still looking. My job is in Hernon on dulles technology drive and I need to find something close to that area ASAP ( No more than 20-30minutes drive), 15-20min would be ideal. About me, I will be moving with my daughter ( 2years old) and I am 28, just in case it helps in narrowing down areas. I think the areas I was looking @ online were Reston, Centreville, Leesburg, Ashburn and Herndon. I am not familiar with VA at all, so I really don’t know what to look for and where, all the info I have is stuff I found on the internet. Anyways, I am looking for a very safe area (#1) on my list, so please do not recommend anything that’s on the fence on safety. The other things Im looking for are somewhat some sort of reasonable shops and restaurants close by, not too rural, I am more of a city kinda girl but would be okay with suburban as well, and kid friendly ( daughter is 2). I am looking for a 2 bedroom but would settle for a 1 bedroom in the right place, or a small townhouse even and I would prefer not to spend more than $1500 and I have a cat so the community should be open to pets. Do you know of any apartment complexes that fit what im looking for? I know it’s a lot but I would be willing to compromise on the other things on my list, the only one I wont compromise about is safety. Also, if you could tell me out of the cities I put down which one you would recommend for my lifestyle, that would help as well. Thank you so much for reading and any help you’d offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM

121 posts, read 248,629 times
I moved to Archstone at Woodland Park a few months ago and I love it here. I am not sure about availability of 2 bedroom apartments but I live in a 1 bedroom that is pretty spacious and I pay less than 1350 a month.
Archstone Woodland Park Apartments in Herndon | Archstone Apartments

The neighborhood is safe and there are resturants, grocery stores and shopping across the street.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 AM

SaintTaris,i will take a look at that one. Thank you

Also I have an appointment to visit Saddle Ridge apartments in ASHBURN, VA. Does anyone know anything about that area, community? Thank you guys

Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,494 times
Ashford Meadows Herndon Apartments | Luxury Apartments in Herndon, VA
While looking for a house to buy, I lived in Ashford Meadows Shenandoah model - 2 bedrooms and a garage with tons of storage. Their website indicates that this model is currently priced at $1477-$1517. This VERY close to your office - my guess is 5 minutes. Lots of shopping at the Clock Tower center and not far from Herndon and Reston shops and restaurants.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 AM

198 posts, read 358,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTaris View Post
I moved to Archstone at Woodland Park a few months ago and I love it here. I am not sure about availability of 2 bedroom apartments but I live in a 1 bedroom that is pretty spacious and I pay less than 1350 a month.
Archstone Woodland Park Apartments in Herndon | Archstone Apartments

The neighborhood is safe and there are resturants, grocery stores and shopping across the street.

There are several other apartment complexes in this area as well. I lived in Metropolitan of Fairfax which is on Fox Mill, just up the street from Archstone. There are some brand new apartments (Van Metre, maybe?), and I think there are apartments above the Harris Teeter shopping center. Might be worth stopping in for a visit at a few of them in the area to see which floorplans/price points/amenities are a good fit for you. In addition, you may want to look at privately owned townhomes and condos for rent in the area.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM

JFromReston, I will add that one to my list. How much were your utilities on average? Thank you

Old 11-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post
There are several other apartment complexes in this area as well. I lived in Metropolitan of Fairfax which is on Fox Mill, just up the street from Archstone. There are some brand new apartments (Van Metre, maybe?), and I think there are apartments above the Harris Teeter shopping center. Might be worth stopping in for a visit at a few of them in the area to see which floorplans/price points/amenities are a good fit for you. In addition, you may want to look at privately owned townhomes and condos for rent in the area.

Good luck!
Do you know a website to find privately owned condos and townhouses besides craigslist and homedatabase? I haven't found a lot of those.Thank you

Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
JFromReston, I will add that one to my list. How much were your utilities on average? Thank you
Sorry I can't remember what we spent on utilities.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Thank you

Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Do you know a website to find privately owned condos and townhouses besides craigslist and homedatabase? I haven't found a lot of those.Thank you
militarybyowner is another one, but craigslist is by far the most popular around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia