Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,788 times

Advertisements

Hello all and Greetings. I'm (yet another) relocating from South Florida to the Fredericksburg area. I'll be working at the Mary Washington Hospital and I'm looking forward to living in the north and experiencing 4 seasons, and all that NoVa has to offer (I'm one of the few Miami natives (born and raised) so the perennial green and 90-100 degree swamp weather is old to me to say the least. Looking to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom home/townhome near the area for a reasonable amount of $ in a safe area. I have 2 kids 14 and 11 so looking for Good schools (High shool and Middle) (coming from South Florida anything should be an improvement). I don't mind a bit of a commute (fact of life here in SoFl) and Ill be working evenings (12-9) so early am traffic shouldn't be a problem for me. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated! (Will be in the area next week looking around, very excited! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
Well how much is a reasonable amount of money?

Given your shift, you could live in
Stafford County (best schools, best for a generic commute if you ever needed a new job)
Fredericksburg itself
Spotsylvania County
Caroline County (more rural, schools aren't as good but not failing by any stretch)

Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Well how much is a reasonable amount of money?
max to 1600 monthly..

Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM

146 posts, read 343,508 times
I live about 7 miles from MWH in Spotsylvania. I wasn't crazy about the middle school here but the high schools are good and there are tons of townhouses in the area.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM

300 posts, read 606,620 times
The Stafford County schools are relatively good; if you're commuting to Fredericksburg, you'll be going opposite traffic. Stafford itself is getting very crowded and there tends to be a lot of traffic within major roads in the country during rush hour, especially in North Stafford. Stafford County as a whole is also more expensive than the neighboring counties.

I don't think there's anything impressive about Fredericksburg schools, but you'll be closest to your job.

I don't know much about Spotsylvania and Caroline schools; Spotsylvania is becoming more urbanized, especially along route 1 in the Southpoint/Cosner's Corner area. You'd have to go northbound and may hit traffic. Caroline homes are definitely the cheapest way to go out of the four locations.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alster View Post
Hello all and Greetings. I'm (yet another) relocating from South Florida to the Fredericksburg area. I'll be working at the Mary Washington Hospital and I'm looking forward to living in the north and experiencing 4 seasons, and all that NoVa has to offer (I'm one of the few Miami natives (born and raised) so the perennial green and 90-100 degree swamp weather is old to me to say the least. Looking to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom home/townhome near the area for a reasonable amount of $ in a safe area. I have 2 kids 14 and 11 so looking for Good schools (High shool and Middle) (coming from South Florida anything should be an improvement). I don't mind a bit of a commute (fact of life here in SoFl) and Ill be working evenings (12-9) so early am traffic shouldn't be a problem for me. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated! (Will be in the area next week looking around, very excited! )
Greetings, I am from South Florida too....been here 6 years. If I were you I would overanalyze where I moved. One poster mentioned Cosner's being urbanized which is true, but even more so is the Route 3 corridor. I don't think that you will have much of an issue with traffic but I know that there is plenty of blue collar traffic in that area during the day. Another thing that takes some getting used to is that most people keep to themselves here. It is like jail, you have to be standoffish here right back to "earn your keep". It is not like South Florida where people walk up to you in the street and immediately get in your business or ask you where you are from (this can be a good thing in retrospect). People can be a bit standoffish at first here. Also, the summers here are FAR hotter than South Florida's with lower humidity though. Everyone complains about the humidity but in the winter RH is as low as 7%. All in all the summers are hotter IMHO than in SFLA here. Make sure that your vehicle is equipped for winter driving too. It is not as simple as going out and getting a 4WD vehicle, you are going to need the correct tires. Another thing concerning location, I guess that not many people in the medical field have to worry about commuting to DC or Richmond, but verify that there are other opportunities for what you are doing locally should you lose your job. A rather large number of us have to commute to either of these cities. The Fredericksburg area is ideally situated between both DC and Richmond but commutes can be hell going into DC (even worse than Miami because 95 is only 3-4 lanes wide). You mention others moving from South Florida to here...maybe that is why I can't stand this place some days.

PM me if you'd like to chat further.

Last edited by va_lucky; 10-27-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia