Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 AM

477 posts, read 737,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
FWIW I've been on this forum for many years. Every six months or so someone comes along, convinced that we're about to see some big real estate crash. Usually it turns out to be wishful thinking. They want to buy a house and are hoping to wait for the big price drop. Most times they give up because the big crash that's supposedly right around the corner never seems to happen.

Before an election, politicians spout and spout about making drastic cuts. It's all big talk to get elected, but in reality it's not that easy, it doesn't happen often, and when it does it doesn't last for long. Sort of like closing the rest rooms along the interstate. It wasn't even a year before they decided the budget savings weren't worth having closed restrooms. Big whoop.

In addition, Va has more contractors than federal employees and they can always switch to other types of contracts if necessary. Moving a company is expensive, so unless the state passes some stupid new taxes I doubt we'll see many companies moving out.
+1

I agree with what you said (most of it).

Should I wish for a housing crash..Absolutely..why not..I am a prospective buyer and would like to get in bargain.(NO offense)

But..it ain't happening IMHO. I don't see a mercurial drop either..It will be a slow-po drop/stagnant for a while
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,581,534 times
Quote:
FWIW I've been on this forum for many years. Every six months or so someone comes along, convinced that we're about to see some big real estate crash. Usually it turns out to be wishful thinking.
there's wishful thinking both ways, and one time those expecting a crash were right, and we are, still living with the ramifications of that, around the US and around the world.

I do not expect a crash. I think the possibility that there will be some fallback in prices in this region is quite real, and is worth discussing.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I think that prices will continue to be set at the levels that individual buyers and sellers can agree upon. Most of these care not one whit how big New York City is or what the temperature in California might be. Real estate is a local market. There is meanwhile no external body moving area home prices up or down and no external means for determining what a particular home is actually "worth". Furthermore, the looming "cuts" that you and some others seem to envision amount to reductions on paper in rates of growth with the bulk of them even at that level being backloaded to ten years from now and beyond.
Disagreed. It will happen, since this environment is still based on the Post-9-11 spending. The real question isn't if cuts (especially in DHS and DoD) will happen but rather how soon and how deep.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,789,004 times
"Almost half the new jobs being created these days are in Government"
"How long can the nongovernment workers support Uncle Sam's work force?"
--Barry Goldwater, 1976

Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM

477 posts, read 737,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
"Almost half the new jobs being created these days are in Government"
"How long can the nongovernment workers support Uncle Sam's work force?"
--Barry Goldwater, 1976
And it still holds good

Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 PM

26,244 posts, read 49,145,261 times
Quote:
FWIW I've been on this forum for many years. Every six months or so someone comes along, convinced that we're about to see some big real estate crash. Usually it turns out to be wishful thinking. They want to buy a house and are hoping to wait for the big price drop. Most times they give up because elections come and go, different parties take control, yet the big crash that's supposedly right around the corner never seems to happen.

Before an election, politicians spout and spout about making drastic cuts. It's all big talk to get elected, but in reality it's not that easy. Most cuts never happen, and the few that do get put in place often don't last for long. Sort of like closing the rest rooms along the interstate. It wasn't even a year before they decided the budget savings weren't worth having closed restrooms.

In addition, Va has more contractors than federal employees and they can always switch to other types of contracts if necessary. Moving a company is expensive and a highly trained work force is in place here (more important than you might think). Rents aren't as big of a deal as you might think and are often negotiable; companies might move in a metro area but they don't tend to move out of state unless taxes become a problem.
Hey Normie, howya doing! I recall you moved to GA; did you move back to NOVA? We left Chantilly in 2005 and do NOT want to go back east, except maybe for funerals and crabcakes in Baltimore.

I've a few people here in my COLO forums who have been preaching doom and gloom since they joined in 2007 that the bottom is going to fall out - any day now - and they'll be mobs going door to door killing for food, etc. That's what they get for reading nonsense like Kuntsler's blog, and others of that ilk.

I checked rental prices in NOVA last week for a person here in COLO who's moving there for 3 years; the prices were so high I did a double take. For rentals, I use padmapper.com to find them, a really cool tool.

I don't think home prices are going to crash in NOVA. Interest rates are at an all-time low (4% or less) and housing prices have come down quite a bit. The house we sold in Chantilly in 2005 for $500k are now in the $350 price range, a 30% decline.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I don't think home prices are going to crash in NOVA. Interest rates are at an all-time low (4% or less) and housing prices have come down quite a bit. The house we sold in Chantilly in 2005 for $500k are now in the $350 price range, a 30% decline.
Well Mike, that's what you and other misinformed NoVA wannabes may think but I happen to talk to a lot of old-timers around here and they agree the days of high priced real estate are numbered. Once gas hits $10 a gallon and the Federal government goes bankrupt it'll be 1893 all over again. When the full weight of higher fuel costs, deteriorating roads, disappearing commercial air service, and higher prices for basic necessities (most of which have to be shipped in from someplace else) descends upon NoVA (and that WILL come--it's already starting), a lot of people will likely develop a much less favorable opinion of what a "paradise" this is.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 PM

15,157 posts, read 27,854,532 times
Is this a tongue-in-cheek response?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Is this a tongue-in-cheek response?
Disclaimer for the above: I spend way too much time with Mike over on the CO forum.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 PM

100 posts, read 220,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Further random thoughts, though - I have seen almost no houses come on the market in the past month in the areas we were looking. Things seem to be coming to a halt. Does anyone else sense that those who can move already have? I have no idea what that means for prices. Lending standards are tighter even though rates are low, there is very little inventory, and many potential move-up buyers are stuck.
I have noticed the same situation in neighborhoods I'm interested in. I've been following a couple of zip codes for two years or so, others for about a year, and the inventory is the lowest I've ever seen it. For the first time since I started looking in 2009, I wouldn't buy any of the houses available in my areas of interest. I certainly hope there is more available this spring... we may be selling and buying then.

Like others have said, I don't foresee another large, dramatic crash. Prices have risen a bit over the last two years in the neighborhoods I watch, while they've fallen in my own neighborhood. I expect prices to remain relatively stable as long as interest rates stay low and the economy is uncertain. (That's bad news for my selling situation but "good" news for my buying situation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia