Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,745,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Sunrise Valley draws from a VERY high income area. The part of Reston that is almost in Vienna. Up until this year, they were one of the half-day districts in FCPS. It is not the ghetto by any stretch of the imagination.
I didn't think it was ghetto by any means--just upper-middle-class as opposed to Ashton Heights/Lyon Park, where houses start at around 650K and go up to $1.5 million or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM

518 posts, read 1,452,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
It's interesting to me that the schools in the very most expensive parts of N. Arlington (e.g., no. 24, Jamestown, and no. 28, Nottingham, both in 22207) didn't do as well as no.1-ranked McKinley (in comfortable-to-affluent but not obscenely wealthy 22205). Clearly, income is not the sole determinant here--though education might still be, because the super-high incomes might be from lobbyists or pharma sales people (long on money but short on education), who probably let their kids vedge in front of the TV or Internet all day and night.

Also, I'm guessing Sunrise Valley Elementary is in Reston. It too would disprove the income-equals-academics theorem, given that it came in at no. 8, well above Ashlawn Elementary, which is no. 29 (and is a stone's throw from McKinley), or (astoundingly) Long Branch Elementary (no. 67), in very tony Lyon Park (N. Arlington).
McKinley's boundary is huge, and it includes very affluent areas of Tara and Bluemont, in addition to the more modest, but still pricey, colonials of Madison Manor and Dominion Hills. Most of the neighborhoods that used to be zoned to Walter Reed and Stonewall Jackson elementary schools are part of the McKinely attendance area. While it's not the consistently wealthiest corner of N Arlington, the parents in that part of the county are very well educated (as you pointed out), and that often translates into high performing schools.

Long Branch receives many lower-income students from the eastern part of South Arlington, who are bused in. But with all the new families in Ashton Heights and Lyon Park who comprise a much wealthier demographic than that of my generation back in the 90s, the lower income kids are shrinking as a proportion of the school population.

btw, the list is three years old.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,108,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I didn't think it was ghetto by any means--just upper-middle-class as opposed to Ashton Heights/Lyon Park, where houses start at around 650K and go up to $1.5 million or so.
Sunrise Valley draws from North Reston and parts of the 22181 and 22182 zip codes in Vienna. There are a few condos/townhouses, but for the most parts the houses start around $500K and go up to $1.7 million or so (in, for example, the Victoria Farms and Hunters Crest sections of Vienna). For the most part, it's very similar to Ashton Heights/Lyon Park, with many houses selling recently for between $800-950K. New construction, of course, is more expensive.

Last edited by JD984; 09-26-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,745,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
McKinley's boundary is huge, and it includes very affluent areas of Tara and Bluemont, in addition to the more modest, but still pricey, colonials of Madison Manor and Dominion Hills. Most of the neighborhoods that used to be zoned to Walter Reed and Stonewall Jackson elementary schools are part of the McKinely attendance area. While it's not the consistently wealthiest corner of N Arlington, the parents in that part of the county are very well educated (as you pointed out), and that often translates into high performing schools.

Long Branch receives many lower-income students from the eastern part of South Arlington, who are bused in. But with all the new families in Ashton Heights and Lyon Park who comprise a much wealthier demographic than that of my generation back in the 90s, the lower income kids are shrinking as a proportion of the school population.

btw, the list is three years old.
The latter was news to me. Wonder why the OP posted it then.

Also didn't realize some South Arl. kids went to Long Branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Sunrise Valley draws from North Reston and parts of the 22181 and 22182 zip codes in Vienna. There are a few condos/townhouses, but for the most parts the houses start around $500K and go up to $1.7 million or so (in, for example, the Victoria Farms and Hunters Crest sections of Vienna). For the most part, it's very similar to Ashton Heights/Lyon Park, with many houses selling recently for between $800-950K. New construction, of course, is more expensive.
And this was news to me as well. (Must admit my knowledge of Reston entails Sprint and something called Reston Town Center--which I have read about but never laid eyes on.) Wow. I guess it makes sense if you work in Tysons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia