Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

Also, a lot of the Fairfax County libraries will have their used book sales in the fall. They are great! https://va.evanced.info/fairfaxcount...ivate=0&ln=ALL

Also, in Montgomery County the Friends of the Library there operate 3 bookstores - one in Gaithersburg, one in Rockville, and one in Wheaton. Those are very good, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Also, a lot of the Fairfax County libraries will have their used book sales in the fall. They are great! https://va.evanced.info/fairfaxcount...ivate=0&ln=ALL

Also, in Montgomery County the Friends of the Library there operate 3 bookstores - one in Gaithersburg, one in Rockville, and one in Wheaton. Those are very good, too.

arlington public library has a most excellent sale.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
arlington public library has a most excellent sale.
Ooh, good to know. I've never been to one there. Any specific library? Also, there is the AAUW (American Association of University Women) sale at the McLean Community Center in September that is very good.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Already Read on Duke in Alexandria is overpriced. They have some interesting stuff, but they charge, like, four or five times what you'd have to pay for it elsewhere (online or brick-and-mortar). Love the owner's cats, though.
Is that the place along the service road (across from the animal hospital?) - I keep saying I want to to in but now that I know they are overpriced....

Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Is that the place along the service road (across from the animal hospital?) - I keep saying I want to to in but now that I know they are overpriced....
Yep, that's the one! The shop has got a nice vibe, but I was shocked that they were in some cases charging ~95% of original retail for run-of-the-mill used hardcover fiction. I bought a couple things just to be supporting a local business, but still... There are cheaper places around to get similar used books!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
There is a HUGE used-book store in Rockville, on Parklawn, right down the street from the FDA: Second Story Books. Not too bad a drive on a weekend.

Arlington Central Library on North Quincy in Ballston (exit 71 from I-66) has the booksale every year.

Goodwill actually has a lot of used books, just not that well organized.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Ooh, good to know. I've never been to one there. Any specific library? Also, there is the AAUW (American Association of University Women) sale at the McLean Community Center in September that is very good.

The main branch in Ballston is what I was thinking of.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
There is a HUGE used-book store in Rockville, on Parklawn, right down the street from the FDA: Second Story Books. Not too bad a drive on a weekend.
Their location in Dupont Circle is at least as convenient from many parts of NoVa, and is driveable on the weekend if you are sharp eyed about looking for parking spots. Plus its a nice area to walk around.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
Oct. 20-23 is the next Arlington library book sale (in the parking garage at the Central Library). Go early.

In Fairfax County, each library seems to have their own "friends" volunteer group that holds its own book sale.

But the George Mason branch library, off Little River Turnpike in Annandale, has its next big sale Sept. 22-25. The last day is half-price day. I didn't go to the last one; I had too many books in my own home to get through and a twice-as-long list of books that are available in the libraries. But I understand donations have tapered off over the past few years, I guess because some people were economizing and not buying books that would then be donated.

I have found the AAUW sale in McLean to be very poorly organized, and it's location was cramped (tight parking, inside tables too close together, more books in boxes under the tables than atop them). I picked up a few things and then just had to get out of there. It attracts a lot more dealers than I've seen at the local library branch sales.

(PS: I love our local book sales, but I have found nothing comes close to when I was living in Chicago and the local Brandeis University women's alumni chapter held a 2-week book sale in Skokie every summer.
Get this: An average of 400,000 books. Really. Almost everyone had their 'old people' grocery carts, pull-along luggage carriers stacked high with milk crates to take home their finds. It was amazing, as were the folks who manned the cash registers--I never got caught in a huge line. I understand the organizers ended it a few years back because they were getting older and couldn't do the work anymore. A shame; it was a great thing for readers and reaped a lot of money for the university. I see some Web mentions, tho, that the D.C.-area Brandeis women's association chapter might have done--or still do -- a sale in Bethesda?)

Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Already Read on Duke in Alexandria is overpriced. They have some interesting stuff, but they charge, like, four or five times what you'd have to pay for it elsewhere (online or brick-and-mortar). Love the owner's cats, though.
What is it about bookstores that have great cats--I always seem to find wonderful books there that I never see anywhere else, and a lot of time it happens because I stop to pet the cat and the cat is lying next to some interesting book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia