Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 PM

414 posts, read 911,222 times

Advertisements

About that commute to Tysons: The Tysons Express bus is a very good alternative. The 'wifi bus' as many call it. If LoCo did not have those commuter buses I think Leesburg might be considerably less appealing.

Turning out to be a great thread. Thanks to everyone so far for participating. Hopefully we can keep it going to be used as a comprehensive resource for others that want to know more about Leesburg and / or are considering living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM

154 posts, read 456,299 times
Another thing I'd like to add that I like about Leesburg is the proximity to the wineries. We went to Tarara Winery this weekend and had a great time!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,229,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutrach View Post
Another thing I'd like to add that I like about Leesburg is the proximity to the wineries. We went to Tarara Winery this weekend and had a great time!
Also, it's near White's Ferry and Balls Bluff (a Civil War site that sometimes has interesting historic events). White's Ferry is slow, but amusing way to cross the Potomac. There are a lot of fun little things near Leesburg that take a while to discover.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,430,183 times
Leesburg is bigger than i thought although seems a bit too far out. Ive been a couple times to go to the outlet malls. I also think i took a wrong turn on that King street.
How are the schools?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,537,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Leesburg is bigger than i thought although seems a bit too far out. Ive been a couple times to go to the outlet malls. I also think i took a wrong turn on that King street.
How are the schools?
They are somewhat above average by VA standards and somewhat below average by Loudoun County standards. Over 42k people here!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,897,567 times
I visited Leesburg and surrounding area 2 years ago and just loved it...I felt completely at home there. In fact, I must have "fit in" because people there were asking me where certain places were, directions, etc. I'd love to live there when I retire...hoping I can still afford it in a few years. By the way, I saw Winchester was named one of the least expensive places to retire in the US...so that area is probably going to grow too.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,812,735 times
Isn't Leesburg, Loudoun County's version of Woodbridge? My brother bought a TH there in 1989 for 125K, and I don't think it is worth much more than that now. I also don't think the public works are up to the standards of Fairfax County--sidewalks, etc.... If you worked out there it would be cool, but even commuting to Tyson's would suck.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Isn't Leesburg, Loudoun County's version of Woodbridge? My brother bought a TH there in 1989 for 125K, and I don't think it is worth much more than that now. I also don't think the public works are up to the standards of Fairfax County--sidewalks, etc.... If you worked out there it would be cool, but even commuting to Tyson's would suck.
Leesburg is very big, and includes a lot of developments surrounding the "downtown" section. Maybe your impression of Leesburg is based on a particular development? That's the only guess I can make, because a large percentage of Leesburg is wealthy, some of it extremely wealthy. Leesburg has neighborhoods for all economic levels, so maybe he bought in a lower income area (although I can only think of one, a small area near the police station on Plaza Street, that would be considered lower income and Plaza Street has sidewalks). There are a lot of middle class neighborhoods, too--some are new and some were built back in the 60s-- some of those older ones might not have sidewalks. Other than those older developments, most of the neighborhoods have sidewalks. Some neighborhoods have town centers or other "smart design" features.

Here are some photos from a few years ago--lots of sidewalks in these particular areas.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,812,735 times
It was on Smartt's Ln., NE. Good photos. They reminded me of why people move out there to begin with. It has an Old Town, with non mall shopping--that's one thing they really don't have in Fairfax County. It also has it's own identity as a city, and I think the people from Fairfax County are envious of that, also, unless of course they found out by getting a ticket from a Leesburg Cop.

There is some big money out there in Loudoun, we all know that--but let's look at people that have to go to work and use the public schools--the middle class. I think their counterparts in places like West Springfield, Annandale, and Vienna attend better schools, are more highly educated, and have much greater access to the things that make DC special.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 09-08-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 PM

I don't know that particular neighborhood, so I can't tell you what economic group it serves. But I was able to look at it on Google Maps and it looks like it has sidewalks. Of course, the sidewalks might be new--they've been adding a lot of things out that way in the last few years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia