Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM

200 posts, read 560,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinNOVA View Post
Well, I work 7:30 to 3:30. It takes me about 10-15 mins to get to the metro and on a good metro day it takes about 35-40 mins to get to my stop in DC. The time of day that I leave really doesn't affect much except whether there is parking at Vienna or not ... its mostly up to the schedule of metro. If there is a delay or a broken train or something then the commute kinda sucks. But for me, sitting on the metro for 45 minutes is way better than sitting in traffic for 45 mins. I also work from home 3 days a week...
Amy, I am looking for a place around Fair Oak as well. what about during rush hour? Do you know how long does it take to get from Fair Oaks to Vienna metro? (I assume you must leave home around 6:30 AM to get to work at 7:30?) I guess Vienna Metro usually fill up by 8:00 AM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 PM

144 posts, read 333,549 times
Well I take the back roads to the metro and my husband usually drops me off. Depending on the day, I usually leave between 6:30 and 7:30 as I said before it takes about 10-15 mins maybe 20 mins if I leave too late ... the back roads are not all that much packed. In the evening it gets a bit more congested but leaving at 3:30 I don't really notice.

And yes, if you don't get to Vienna metro to park by 8:00 AM you will most likely not find a parking spot.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Just be aware of this construction project:

Fairfax County Parkway/Fair Lakes Parkway

Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Here's a photo tour you might find helpful

Fair Lakes

Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinNOVA View Post
Well, I work 7:30 to 3:30. It takes me about 10-15 mins to get to the metro and on a good metro day it takes about 35-40 mins to get to my stop in DC. The time of day that I leave really doesn't affect much except whether there is parking at Vienna or not ... its mostly up to the schedule of metro. If there is a delay or a broken train or something then the commute kinda sucks. But for me, sitting on the metro for 45 minutes is way better than sitting in traffic for 45 mins. I also work from home 3 days a week...
Ooooh! Nice catch on the telework! Sounds about as expected otherwise. I probably have a little bit shorter run overall from Vienna/Oakton, and on a good day, I can do door-to-door in just under an hour, but most days just over. Even with the occasional delays and breakdowns, Metro is the only way to go though, especially if SmartBenefits is picking up a bunch of the tab. And getting on in Vienna, you always get a seat. Yay! There seem to be even more new places that have been/still are going up off of West Ox and over by Lee Highway. Don't think you'll be the new kid on the block for very long :-) ...

Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Fair Lakes
And still a very nice photo tour, it is. Captures the look and feel of the Fair Lakes area quite well. At least the eastern half. A certain element did a lot of grumbling about the costs of the Government Center when it was first built. More than a few "Taj Mahal in the middle of nowhere"-type whines were heard. But it's worked out and held up very well in the long run, and of course what it's done for what used to be the little crossroads of Legato and Dixie Hill and so forth is really rather amazing.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM

301 posts, read 691,201 times
While I've never lived in the Fair Oaks area, I have worked there in the past and I've had numerous friends who have lived there. I also frequent the area quite a bit as I don't live too far away (Merrifield).

Depending on where you work, I'd say it's a really nice place to live. My wife is from Bethesda and she has commented on how much she likes the Fair Lakes area as it is very updated, clean, safe, and has tons of amenities. Within a few miles of each other you have a Wegmans, a huge Whole Foods, Costco, Fairfax Corner w/ a bunch of restaurants, shops and a movie theater, and Fair Lakes Shopping Center with Walmart, Target, Best Buy and more restaurants. And then right down the street you have Fair Oaks Mall. As far as amenities and convenience, it doesn't get much better than that. There are also lots of newer apartments and homes that have been built in the area recently.

The only "potential" negatives I could see are commute (depending on where you work) and lack of a nightlife if you're young and single. The only bars in the area are of the restaurant variety, not what I'd consider true nightlife...you'd need to live in Arlington or Alexandria for that. But if those things don't pertain to you, then I think Fair Oaks/Lakes a great place to live.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And still a very nice photo tour, it is. Captures the look and feel of the Fair Lakes area quite well. At least the eastern half.
It would be wonderful if someone would post some photos of the western half, too. And photos of a few more residential neighborhoods, since there are some that have different "feels" than the ones I shot.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Would every human being find that everything they needed or wanted was within walking distance there? No. But the walkers who so much value walkability would not be at all unhappy there. No less so, the bikers and the skaters.

Different visions of walkability - woodsy trails, for recreation, that may or may not be direct paths to where you need to get to, and which may have safety issues at certain hours due to isolation from the street, vs walkable city like blocks.

We could call it James Rouse Walkability versus Jane Jacobs Walkability, or something like that.

Ive lived in Kingstowne, which has a little of both. Its great that Fair Oaks has trails - I guess I was thinking its not the kind of place that folks really walk around on the street - other than in FFX corner itself.

I didnt think of those places in FFX corner as bars - I thought they are mostly restaurants. Live and learn.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 07-15-2011 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Fair Lakes
Thats helpful - I think it gives a good idea of the mix of walkability in the area. As you show and state, there are sidewalks and street lights throughout the denser area. I am not sure its quite all come together - I think the relatively non walkable approaches to Fair Lakes Mall, and the big old strip center just west of that at Fair Lakes and Monument may be impediments. And FFX corner which is the premier "walkable place" still seems a little isolated, esp by I66 from some of the denser residential areas north of 66. But the area does seem to have potential, I hope it comes together.

Any particular projects in the pipeline that will help tie together whats already there, from an urbanism/walkability perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia