Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,604,551 times

Advertisements

I will just share the highlights.

Sat PM went to Old Town for the Alexandria birthday concert and fireworks. We found easy parking, as we always do, and a good spot in front of the stage. We ran into and chatted with several friends from Alex we hadnt seen in a while. The concert was very nice (though I swear one day that young man Kluge is going to throw out his back), they did the 1812 the way I like it, and lots of Sousa, as well as some nice stuff prefireworks (south pacific, ET, and Holsts Jupiter) The free cupcake distribution went smoothly. The fireworks were serviceable.

Afterwards we decided to avoid getting stuck in traffic, so we took a walk down to King street (from Wythe), stopped at the place on the south side of King for ice cream (non fat, non sugar) and walked back up St Asaph (to get around the projects, and to show DW where the Trader Joes is).

Sunday we went to the Smithsonian Folk Life festival - themes this year are Colombia, The Peace Corps, and Rhythm and Blues. We saw some ukrainian dancers at the Peace Corps stage, shared an African entree, learned about the making of shea butter as economic empowerment of west african women, and then listened to and danced to Peruvian (pop - i guess) music.

We were still in the mood to eat something - I wanted to show DW the new development along H street - we decided it looked too sketchy to walk around on a Sunday night till we got to 12th street, and even there didnt see anything that really appealed to us. I wanted to try Maoz, a Vegan kosher (but not under the Vaad) place in Dupont Circle, unfortunately we didnt have the address or the phone that has the internet on it. we drove over to Dupont and tried to find it, but apparently overlooked it (turns out its on M near 18th). So we parked by 21st and Q and walked around that end of P street - we passed on the Japanese places, and the Vfelafal place, and the VN place was closed, so we went into the moroccan place and shared a veggie couscous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM

105 posts, read 391,276 times
next time post this before the events happen

Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,604,551 times
russia will be one of the themes for the 2012 folk life festival.

Start planning NOW!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,953 times
I especially like the play by play on the Sunday dinner hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: