Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 AM

85 posts, read 297,125 times

Advertisements

My job could have me in downtown DC at times and down near Quantico at other times. I would be driving down to Quantico and would either use public transportation or drive into DC. So, I am looking for something in between the two and would appreciate any recommendations. Here is some background info on my family/housing requirements: we have kids so schools are extremely important, we need at least 2,000 sq ft and 3BR/2BA, we want to live in a single family home - not a townhouse or condo, and our budget is $500K or less. We currently live in Old Town Alexandria and LOVE it, so anything even remotely close to that feel would be idea (I understand that area is unique which is why I said 'even remotely close').

With that in mind, what would be the best options - Springfield, Franconia Lorton, Manassas? Any other ideas? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:09 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,386 times
I worked in DC for years and then was transferred to Quantico before I finally retired. I live in Springfield and the location was perfect for me.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I've done both commutes from my house in Mount Vernon so this would be an area to check out. You'll have no trouble finding what you're looking for in your price range here. Some neighborhoods to consider would be Riverside Estates, Riverside Gardens, Stratford Landing, and Waynewood. Schools will be comparable no matter where you go in Fairfax County, though test scores may differ due to demographic mix. If you enjoy Old Town you should live somewhere not far from it. I go there all the time (nearly every day) to shop, eat, or just walk around. There's no traffic between here and Quantico either way and a bit going into DC through Old Town (mainly when some numbskull leaves his car parked overnight in the HOV lane) and at the 14th Street bridge. Come on down the parkway and take a look.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 AM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
I have to second what CAVA1990 says. That area is close to Huntington metro to get to the city, the drive to Quantico is not too horrid once you get past Ft. Belvoir.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Default Commute times

Thanks for the information thus far.

Kembek, how long is the commute from Springfield to Quantico?

CAVA1990 and roninsedge, I have the same question. How long would the drive be from the Mt. Vernon area to Quantico? Also, if I had to drive into downtown at rush hour, how long would that take?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Yeah, if you can handle West Potomac, the Waynewood/Hollin Hall area will be great for you. Your house won't necessarily be the most updated, though.

If you'll be @ Quantico more often than DC, you can try Lake Ridge.

If you'll be @ DC more often than Quantico, you can try places in South Arlington (but you'd have to be OK with Wakefield HS).

If you want a top-performing school pyramid, you'll want West Springfield. Burke would be too far out imo.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 AM

336 posts, read 768,099 times
Springfield

Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Default Manassas

So, why doesn't anyone recommend Manassas? It is a bit longer commute, but the housing is much more affordable. The schools seem to be good, depending on the specific school, so I am always curious why people appear to have a bias against Manassas. Can anyone comment? I have only been to the area once and thought it looked like a good option since the statistics (housing, schools, commute) indicate it would be a good option and I like history and unique shopping/restaurants (not all chain).

Old 06-29-2011, 05:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
How long of a Metro ride is it from Huntington into downtown DC?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskkm View Post
CAVA1990 and roninsedge, I have the same question. How long would the drive be from the Mt. Vernon area to Quantico? Also, if I had to drive into downtown at rush hour, how long would that take?
It's about 30 minutes to the North gate then depending how far you'll be working from the gate could be another 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia