Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 AM

7 posts, read 12,082 times

Advertisements

I know there's been several old posts about churches in the area, but is anyone familiar with any churches in the Alexandria/Arlington area that are like Vineyard Community Churches? We went to a Vineyard in Houston, TX before moving here and I also went to one in Cambridge, MA when I lived there. All the Vineyards in this area our far and we would like to find a good church in the area so thought I'd see if anyone has any recommendations for our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
Not familiar with Vineyard Community Churches but after looking at their website, I would suggest you look into McLean Bible Church. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Not familiar with Vineyard Community Churches but after looking at their website, I would suggest you look into McLean Bible Church. Good luck.
Similar to McLean but closer to Arlington/Alexandria is Immanuel Bible Church off Edsall Road (2B) from 395. I attend there (specifically their Venture service) and love it.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info.
May have to look into McLean though would prefer a smaller church and a closer one as well.

After looking at the Immanuel Bible Church's site and in particular the document about women and leadership in the church, I don't think that would be the place for me.

I guess there's not really anything like the Vineyard around here...

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellebelle View Post
I guess there's not really anything like the Vineyard around here...
Could you be more specific about what you're looking for, maybe? Size, type of service, type of sermons, etc?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,502,767 times
There is The Vine Church in Dunn Loring. Not sure if its mission is that of a "Vineyard Church", but it's not at all a mega-church...

Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 PM

707 posts, read 1,410,589 times
There is a Vineyard Church in Woodbridge it's off 95 going east it has about 200 people FYI.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 AM

4,621 posts, read 6,455,310 times
Some of you are suggesting churches that are not charismatic or Pentecostal, which I would assume, would therefore NOT be very much like a Vineyard Church.

Vineyard Church is a charismatic/neocharismatic denomination with over 1,500 affiliated churches worldwide.

The Vineyard Movement is rooted in the charismatic renewal and historic evangelicalism. Instead of the mainstream charismatic label, however, the movement has preferred the term Empowered Evangelicals (a term coined by Rich Nathan and Ken Wilson in their book of the same name) to reflect their roots in traditional evangelicalism as opposed to classical Pentecostalism. Members also sometimes describe themselves as the "radical middle" between evangelicals and Pentecostals, which is a reference to the book The Quest for the Radical Middle, a historical survey of the Vineyard by Bill Jackson.

It has been associated with the "Signs and Wonders" movement, the Toronto blessing, the Kansas City Prophets, and a particular exuberant expressive style of Christian worship music.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 7,930 times
I became a member of City Data today just so I could answer your question! I've been to the Cambridge Vineyard and I really miss it. I never quite found one quite like it in this area (unfortunately), but there are some options.

Besides the Vineyard in Woodbridge (which I've never been to but could be worth a try), you can try The Falls Church...in Falls Church. It greatly differs from the Vineyard in that it's Anglican and therefore liturgical-heavy (and the atmosphere is a little more formal, even in their casual service), but I recommend them because they have a vibrant healing ministry which reminded me of the Cambridge Vineyard's emphasis on healing. The Falls Church has satellite churches in Arlington (Restoration Anglican) and Alexandria (Christ the King), which I've never been to but would probably be smaller congregations and maybe a more informal atmosphere.

Another church: I've only been to Grace Community Church in Arlington once, but it really reminded me of Cambridge when I was there. I would've gone more, but I was dating my then-boyfriend/now-husband who is diehard McLean Bible (if one can use such a phrase), so I never made it back. Grace Community actually might be the closest thing to the Cambridge Vineyard that I've seen for this area, but then again, this is based on attending one service.

And a long, long time ago, I attended Bridgeway 242 in Arlington, which also reminded me of the Cambridge Vineyard. But I can't seem to find them on Google, so I don't know what happened to them.

I can say though that a lot of smaller churches have popped up in the area over the last 15 years that I've lived here, so if you're willing to explore, I'm sure you'll find something.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM

thanks so much for the advice. we were in the falls church for new years when a bluegrass band was playing and i was reading about the church and was drawn to the healing ministry as well. my husband is definitely interested in checking it out, probably the closest satellite. i had also heard of grace and we were considering trying there too.

i saw the vine church too and wondered but then i saw on their site they were methodist so i'm not sure it's gonna be like the vineyard after all but it does look like a really neat church from their website.

i saw their was the vineyard in woodbridge but i'm lame and don't really want to drive far. i'd like to find community and i'm worried going to a church far away means not having community close by.

thanks for the info about the vineyard, tarheelhombre - i guess i should have explained what is was - was just hoping if someone knew what it was, they would know what to suggest. or maybe i'm just lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia