Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,582 times

Advertisements

Im a Latina woman about to turn 30. I am recently remarried to my husband. We both have children from a previous marraige. I would like to make some female friends but find it difficut. My neibors are not oppening up to me even after I have reached out to them.. any suggetions. I am hispanic my husband is white, I dont know if that has anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Meetup groups are the way to go. Volunteering is good, too. Help out at one o your kids schools, and you'll probably meet other moms.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,740,578 times
If your kids go to school already - volunteer in their classes or with the PTA. Hang out at the bus stop with the other moms and start a conversation. If they're not at school yet, go to playgroups, library story hours, find groups at meetup as suggested or just talk to people at the neighborhood playground.

Depending on your personality, it can be tough to make friends in this area. I have made three very close friends; one moved away two years ago and one is moving in three weeks. I have other friends that I see weekly but it took years to get to this point. This is most likely because of my personality.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,670,834 times
I have lived in my neighborhood for over 16 years. I have not made one friend in the neighborhood with the exception of my next door neighbor who used to do daycare for my son. Even at that, we don't get together and do things. No is "unfriendly" in my neighborhood--people are just not interested and are either working all the time or at different stages in their lives that there's not a lot of commonality.

Sometimes you can get very lucky and move into a community that has a lot of young children and stay-at-home parents that all seem to be in the same boat as you. When that happens, you sort of hit a "friend" gold mine but I don't find that to be a common occurrence.

As other posters have suggested, you are going to have to go outside of your neighborhood, work in the schools or get involved in the kids' sports programs in order to meet other women who have commonalities with you.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,084 times
Do you have time (and the interest) to play sports? Tennis and softball are good for meeting people. Many counties offer reasonably priced classes at different levels, and you can organize people you meet in the classes to play more. Book clubs are another possibility.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Do you have time (and the interest) to play sports? Tennis and softball are good for meeting people. Many counties offer reasonably priced classes at different levels, and you can organize people you meet in the classes to play more. Book clubs are another possibility.
This! And other classes as well, such as photography, art, acting, cooking..

Old 05-08-2011, 04:20 PM

I dont feel comfortable talking to the people at my school I suffer from a inferiority complex. and I think your right meetup is the way to go. I just want one good female friend my husband is enough just thought it would be nice to have a female friend

Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linie38 View Post
I dont feel comfortable talking to the people at my school I suffer from a inferiority complex. and I think your right meetup is the way to go. I just want one good female friend my husband is enough just thought it would be nice to have a female friend
If you're shy/don't feel comfortable talking to people I highly recommend checking out toastmasters. Go to a few different groups until you find one where the people "click" for you. Avoid the ones at office building--check ones at libraries, community centers, etc.

Toastmaster is made for shy people, so it's easy to meet people in the same boat as you. People tell stories mostly drawn from their own life, so you get to know people pretty well. They often tell funny stories, so if nothing else you'll have a few good laughs. Everyone talks a little bit at every meeting, but the table topics make it easy for shy people.

They have a lot of toastmaster groups in northern Virginia. There's bound to be 10 or so close to where you live. You can find them by googling toastmasters. They have a fee if you decide to join, but you can visit a club for quite awhile before joining.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 AM

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia