Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 AM

12 posts, read 29,626 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

There is a possibility that I might be getting a job at Manassas Regional Airport and I have never been to Northern Virginia. All I have heard is that Manassas is rundown and not safe to live in and that other communities such as Centreville, Fairfax and Chantilly are much better.

I am a 25 year old man looking for a inexpensive apartment complex in a good/decent neighborhood or city that is still close to Manassas Regional Airport. Therefore, does anybody know where I could live that has affordable apartments, nice shopping places, good eateries, that is close to attractions, entertainment district, young people, etc.? Also, if I was to live in Fairfax for example, how long is the driving commute to and from Manassas Regional Airport?

I'm hoping to move there within several months and need to start looking now for prospective places. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,339 times
Much of Fairfax, Centreville and Fairfax are the VA "burbs" and would not compare to places such as Arlington & Falls Church for options of a 20 something happening area. There are some fun places for the 20 something crowd in all three of these areas, but frankly not that many. You could look in and around George Mason University area (Fairfax City)which would be a quick shot down 28 with a reverse commute or look in the Centreville area around the area that LifeTime fitness, movie theaters and a popular bar I can't recall the name of.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,441 times
I live in Manassas and the area I live is not run down. Certain few parts of it may be, but not all of it. That's a sweeping comment to make about the entire city of Manassas. I know other people that live here in very nice areas. I love it here and wouldn't move.
I also work in Chantilly and there are nice neighborhoods out there. Centreville can be nice but expensive. You could find some very nice apartments or townhomes for rent in Manassas that are very nice, not as costly, and it would mean a very short commute.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,252,095 times
As others have said the closer you get to DC the more expensive it gets. There is NO inexpensive here. Your best deal will be in Manassas as compared to Centreville. I have been in the Haymarket and Manassas areas since 73 with the majority of these years in Manassas. I'm a retired cop from this area. Without a doubt Manassas has its rundown areas but it has plenty of nice areas as well.

If you want a lot of nightlife and high end restaurants you will need to move to Arlington or Alexandria but be prepared to pay out the nose to live. Plus the commute will suck driving to M. Airport even though it's a reverse commute for much of it but not all. And reverse commutes carry a different meaning compared to just 10 years ago.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 11,647 times
As a general rule living cost go down the further you are from DC. Then you have to decide if its better to pay less for housing cost or deal with the traffic and commute. I would suggest geographically locating your employment between your residence and DC. There are some very nice areas near the Manassas Airport. Manassas City is generally cheaper....the Bristow area of Prince William County is generally nicer. Bristow has many new housing developments. The Homes in Manassas are usually older.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,704 times
Manassas is not that bad - some parts are very nice. Look also in Gainesville, very safe and new, very affordable, right next to Manassas. As for being somewhere fun near young people, very few places in NOVA fit that bill, and nothing close to Manassas or very affordable.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 29,626 times
Hmmm, thanks everyone so far for the advice!

I might consider Fairfax and Centreville, since they are relatively close to Manassas and are larger so more things for me to do and more things available at my fingertips. Still keeping my options open for now!

Also, is the DC metro line available in northern Virginia and where are the stations? If I was to move to Manassas, what is the most feasible way to visit D.C. (national mall, capital hill) for weekend trips and such?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,950,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Ville View Post
Also, is the DC metro line available in northern Virginia and where are the stations? If I was to move to Manassas, what is the most feasible way to visit D.C. (national mall, capital hill) for weekend trips and such?
Metro - Home page

You can find maps and calculate travel times and such. There is no metro anywhere near Manassas. You'd have to drive to the end of either orange or blue, park, and take the train in from there. To get to the end of the train station would be about 45 minutes, and another 30-40 minutes to get downtown on the train.

If you were just going for the day or the afternoon, I would probably entertain the idea of driving all the way in and paying for parking. The added time/frustration of the metro on the weekend may or may not be worth it for you. Usually I end up driving to Crystal City in Arlington, where there's free parking, and catching a train there. It's close enough that if the metro isn't running when I want to come home, a taxi isn't exorbitant.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM

92 posts, read 233,431 times
I live in Manassas City and have for 3yrs. I will say it is not as new as some other areas of NOVA but it's not bad either. Yes there is crime, but there is crime in most all areas of NOVA. I personally like Manassas but hey that's just me. I would say it would all depend on the things that you like to do. If you like more upscale restaurants, upscale shopping and bars then maybe Fairfax or Tysons Corner areas($$$) and you would be going opposite of rush hr. traffic. Manassas IMO is more for families.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,414,359 times
From Fairfax, the commute is not too bad to Manassas, especially as you would likely be going against traffic. If you were to work from 4-midnight, however, your commute could be awful. Generally, morning rush hour from Manassas is headed east, and in the afternoon it's westbound.

Do you know what a rough estimate of a budget is for the apartment? That can help to narrow down areas. Fairfax is also at the terminus of the Orange Line Metro, where there is parking, and also bus service, though the city's bus service ends before the last trains enter the station.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia