Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,467,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borngrace View Post
Found houses in Leesburg and Waterford -- but don't know about the commute. Didn't see anything in Clifton - or really anyplace that was closer in. Do not want to live in a subdivision. I need some personal space :-)
Yeah that is really where you are going to find land and older houses...like I said, the commute from most of Leesburg will easily be a solid hour. Waterford, depending on where, but I assume in "village" of Waterford, will be probably about 10-15 mins farther away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,204,825 times
The other thing to know about Waterford is the homes there can be very expensive.

OP, to be honest I doubt you'll have much luck finding what you're looking for. There might be a few houses out there so who knows, maybe you'll be lucky. But, to be realistic, there are very few historic properties here, and horse property is going to be a long & wearying commute from McLean. Nova is mostly new and suburban.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,973,439 times
I used homesdatabase.com and found 2 homes in Herndon on 5+ acres on Thoroughbred Lane in your price range. They are not "antique" homes and will probably need work but it would not be a bad commute to McLean. Use that site and do some looking on your own, you can specify how much acreage you need.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,128,988 times
Leesburg, Hamilton, Purcellville, and Round Hill. If you use the Dulles Greenway, your hubby might be able to do it in 50-60 min, depending what time(s) he leaves. In the morning, the earlier the better.

I've been on that road 6:30ish (coming in from Winchester which is further west) and traffic is fine until you get closer to the Rte 15 & Rte 7 east exit. The Greenway is clear ($4.80 - $5.25 toll one way) and then it's stop and go traffic roughly from Reston to McLean. The construction around the Tyson's area has made it worse.

It might help if he can work from home too, at least 1 day a week. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM

27 posts, read 83,026 times
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. It has helped tremendously. I do know that properties that I like will be few and far between. That's ok. Old house people are used to that. The couple of houses I have found are not more expensive than the suburban developments (just more land and smaller houses -- and quirky stuff that would drive non old house people CRAZY!) We are currently 1 hr north of NYC and 20 minutes to Metro North so my husband is used to that kind of commute - and NYC hours where no one really leaves work until 8pm or so. He is also ok with getting up early and going in. But when he's home it's nice to be somewhere you love just hanging out - and old houses and nice rolling hills and horses do that for us. (well he couldn't give a rats *ss about the horse part - but they make me smile).
I was really very surprised that Northern Virginia didn't have more of the kinds of places we like closer in - and I suppose we could also look in Maryland - but I worry a bit about school districsts there. We have always had kids in small private school here - but they will now go to public and I have to figure all that out too.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,128,988 times
Quote:
I was really very surprised that Northern Virginia didn't have more of the kinds of places we like closer in - and I suppose we could also look in Maryland - but I worry a bit about school districsts there.
Loudoun County was/is nicknamed "Horse Country". When we first moved there, there were farms and lots of horses which slowly diminished as the newer suburbs got built. You should be able to find something you like in the areas Leesburg-ish and west that we've described.

We lived in NoVA for many years and recently moved out to Winchester (way west than Leesburg) into a historic home (not 1800s but 1930 Arts & Crafts Am Foursquare). We absolutely love it. If you like historic towns, you should come visit. It makes a wonderful day trip. The trip out here is filled with rolling hills, mountains, and big hairy cows.

Quote:
We have always had kids in small private school here - but they will now go to public and I have to figure all that out too.
Same here. My kids went to private school in DC when we first moved into the area. But they went to public school when we moved to Loudoun County. You'll be fine!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM

660 posts, read 1,711,570 times
Quote:
I was really very surprised that Northern Virginia didn't have more of the kinds of places we like closer in - and I suppose we could also look in Maryland - but I worry a bit about school districsts there. We have always had kids in small private school here - but they will now go to public and I have to figure all that out too.
No reason to worry about the schools in Montgomery County, which is the only school system in Maryland within a healthy commuting distance to McLean, and is comparable to Fairfax County Public Schools. That said, you won't find any more 19th century houses there than in Virginia. Development patterns there largely mirrored those across the Potomac until roughly the New Deal.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM

186 posts, read 489,891 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. It has helped tremendously. I do know that properties that I like will be few and far between. That's ok. Old house people are used to that. The couple of houses I have found are not more expensive than the suburban developments (just more land and smaller houses -- and quirky stuff that would drive non old house people CRAZY!) We are currently 1 hr north of NYC and 20 minutes to Metro North so my husband is used to that kind of commute - and NYC hours where no one really leaves work until 8pm or so. He is also ok with getting up early and going in. But when he's home it's nice to be somewhere you love just hanging out - and old houses and nice rolling hills and horses do that for us. (well he couldn't give a rats *ss about the horse part - but they make me smile).
Not to be negative but there is hugh difference between sitting on Metro North and sitting in your care creeping along on the Greenway...the metro system here is nothing like Metro North and the NYC subway system.
Traffic in this area really needs to be experienced, it is not like anyplace else...

Old 03-04-2011, 05:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,467,945 times
OP it really sounds like you'd love the western Loudoun County area, Waterford, Hillsboro, Hamilton, Purcellville etc. Absolutely stunning countryside if you like rolling hills, horses and old houses. I just moved here from Fairfield County CT so it sounds like you may be from northern Westchester? If so, even though I love that area, especially North Salem and surrounds, to me, Western Loudoun is just so much more beautiful. My husband and I love tooling around the area on a Saturday, he'll just say, "let's go for a drive" and that will be the highlight of the day. The schools are absolutely top notch as well. In fact the Waterford Elementary is consistently rated one of the very best in all of Loudoun County. If you can deal with a long commute, at least check out the area.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,808 times
don't know anything about the schools, updated house but maybe you could restore.

17121 SIMPSON Cir, PAEONIAN SPRINGS, VA 20129 | MLS# LO7529876
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia