Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

It makes sense to get advice from people who chose to live there and people who didn't. It helps get a less-biased opinion. We looked into Manassas because my husband works there. But I found other areas that I liked better and we were able to afford them. However, if I couldn't afford other areas, I would settle for Manassas. There are definitely nicer parts to Manassas and less-nice parts, as with most places.

However, overall, it does have more crime than some other cities/towns in NoVA. Of course no place is crime-free. I just looked at city-data's city information to see if anything I wrote in my last post was incorrect, but it backed up my statements. Manassas' crime index between 1999 and 2008 had a range of 223-313. Vienna's crime index for 5 years between 1999 and 2009 had a range of 83-128. (Nation's average is 319 and the higher the number the more crime there is.) Manassas is below the national average, so as I said, it depends on where you are coming from whether it feels safe or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not sure taking advice from someone who has never lived in Manassas is the right thing to do but to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 AM

160 posts, read 233,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not sure taking advice from someone who has never lived in Manassas is the right thing to do but to each his own.
I'll keep that in mind. I know there are no crime free areas. Manassas would be more of a commute to where my husband would be working though and I noticed the price of some of the places rose into the same range as those in Fairfax, Centreville and Herndon, if they were in decent parts of Manassas when searching craigslist and realtor.com. Most of the cheaper stuff was in Iron Gate which someone above said they would not recommend.

Anyone want to add to which parts to stay away from and which parts are good?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It makes sense to get advice from people who chose to live there and people who didn't. It helps get a less-biased opinion. We looked into Manassas because my husband works there. But I found other areas that I liked better and we were able to afford them. However, if I couldn't afford other areas, I would settle for Manassas. There are definitely nicer parts to Manassas and less-nice parts, as with most places.

However, overall, it does have more crime than some other cities/towns in NoVA. Of course no place is crime-free. I just looked at city-data's city information to see if anything I wrote in my last post was incorrect, but it backed up my statements. Manassas' crime index between 1999 and 2008 had a range of 223-313. Vienna's crime index for 5 years between 1999 and 2009 had a range of 83-128. (Nation's average is 319 and the higher the number the more crime there is.) Manassas is below the national average, so as I said, it depends on where you are coming from whether it feels safe or not.
I agree. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
I'll keep that in mind. I know there are no crime free areas. Manassas would be more of a commute to where my husband would be working though and I noticed the price of some of the places rose into the same range as those in Fairfax, Centreville and Herndon, if they were in decent parts of Manassas when searching craigslist and realtor.com. Most of the cheaper stuff was in Iron Gate which someone above said they would not recommend.

Anyone want to add to which parts to stay away from and which parts are good?
Without knowing what you are looking to spend it's kind of hard to give advice. But, stay the heck far away from Irongate, Westgate, Coverstone, Bristow Station (Manassas City) Georgetown South and there are some others as well. Most of Wellington is nice but not too close to Georgetown South. Anywhere along Bristow Rd or Linton Hall Rd will be nice. Vint Hill Rd is nice and Sudley Manor, depending on where, is nice as well.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
I agree with Bigfoot, I could also try and help (although I probably sound dumb with only 3 years of living here) find some areas for you if we knew what you wanted to spend.

I am living in the Fairmont section of Manassas, which is a very nice quiet neighborhood. There is a nice park up the road, with 4 baseball diamonds and a jungle gym in the back of the park for kids. A lot of people walk their dogs there during the day. We also lived in Sudley Manor before, which was also very nice, quiet, and pretty. It was nice to take long walks there.

The Fairmont section is considered more of a development I guess, and there are a few homes for sale that I pass by sometimes. We got our house when it was a foreclosure, but it was kept in very good condition. All we really had to do was repaint the house. Excellent yard size, parking space and big wide driveways

Good luck with whatever you choose! Manassas is huge (to me) so there are tons of areas where you could end up if you go with it. I really enjoy living here and would not move. All the best to you

Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks beatlecrazy and bigfoot.

I'm thinking the budget will be a max of $1450 for a 3 bedroom (or if possible - a 2 bedroom for a time.) I have a hubby, 2 young boys and baby on the way.
Must have W/D or hookups.

Last edited by Danimarie; 02-15-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 PM

71 posts, read 203,962 times
Where does your husband work? DC?, Pentagon? Tysons?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM

84 posts, read 275,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I am living in the Fairmont section of Manassas, which is a very nice quiet neighborhood. There is a nice park up the road, with 4 baseball diamonds and a jungle gym in the back of the park for kids. A lot of people walk their dogs there during the day. We also lived in Sudley Manor before, which was also very nice, quiet, and pretty. It was nice to take long walks there.

The Fairmont section is considered more of a development I guess, and there are a few homes for sale that I pass by sometimes. We got our house when it was a foreclosure, but it was kept in very good condition. All we really had to do was repaint the house. Excellent yard size, parking space and big wide driveways
Fairmont seems like a nice little area, but since the OP has kids, I would advise her to look into the schools first.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anpanman View Post
Fairmont seems like a nice little area, but since the OP has kids, I would advise her to look into the schools first.
Considering the surrounding areas I would agree.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anpanman View Post
That's fine, was just giving her an idea of what different areas look like, like she asked. There are schools nearby my area too, but i did still wish her luck. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia