Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 AM

74 posts, read 122,510 times

Advertisements

When does it start to warm up around here? At first, this weather was "cute", now I'm just over it. Please tell me February is warmer than January!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH1978 View Post
When does it start to warm up around here? At first, this weather was "cute", now I'm just over it. Please tell me February is warmer than January!
Jan/Feb are the bitter cold months here.

After that, March starts to give you some hope; however, we can get some very cold weather in March.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,214 times
Is this your first winter here? It gets better! For now, just try and be happy with what it is now. Last year we had how many 90+ days? It was unbelieveable! Just throw on some layers and it won't feel cold anymore

Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 AM

It is my first winter here! I am used to 60's and 70's this time of year...

As for the layers - I have been looking like this when I leave the house lately:

Just have to keep looking forward to our vacation in Key West in April!!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
You poor thing! I moved here from Los Angeles and I can tell you that the first winter is usually the worst. And you had the bad luck to get a really cold winter, to boot.

Two things that can help: 1) The Home and Garden show is at the end of the month. It's at the Dulles Expo Center, and several of the garden centers put on lavish displays of spring flowers. You'll be surprised how much this helps. 2) The tropical rooms in the National Botanical Gardens are also good for battling winter fatigue at this time of year. Or, if you want something closer, stop by Merrifield Garden Center and walk through their large indoor plant greenhouse.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Two things that can help: 1) The Home and Garden show is at the end of the month. It's at the Dulles Expo Center, and several of the garden centers put on lavish displays of spring flowers. You'll be surprised how much this helps. 2) The tropical rooms in the National Botanical Gardens are also good for battling winter fatigue at this time of year. Or, if you want something closer, stop by Merrifield Garden Center and walk through their large indoor plant greenhouse.

Oh, I love Home and Garden Shows! The Botanical Gardens is a great idea - my husband is off today and tomorrow, maybe I'll have him take me.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH1978 View Post
Oh, I love Home and Garden Shows!
I go every single year, just to sit in the tulip gardens. They have little benches and walkways and bridges, so it feels like a place you can sit for awhile and breathe in the fragrance of spring blooms. For me, it's quite restoring. One vendor even brings in a bunch of fairly large flowering cherry trees.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
I hate cold weather and have never gotten used to it (and I'm from Pennsylvania, and this is the fartherst south I have ever lived). I need to get my Florida fix once per winter (twice is better but that's hard with children). The high points of winter for me are the few days here and there where the weather is in the 50's. Tomorrow is supposed to be 48! March definitely shows signs of spring - some years more than others. January and February are definitely the worst months. Some years are better than other years. The winter of 2001/2002 was very mild. There were 60-degree days in there and maybe we had one dusting the whole winter. Other years are horrible like last year with 70+ inches of snow. This year seems particularly cold. Hopefully, it will be a warm winter next year!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,214 times
Actually - that is how I looked as a kid growing up near the canadian border. And putting on a halloween costume....well, it was pointless because it got covered with a hat and gloves and coat, etc....

If you are into flowers and plants and stuff - why not have some indoor plants that flower even during the winter months? There are all different kinds.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,568 times
I love this weather, for some reason. I love being warm and cozy in the house at night, and hearing the wind outside. It would be better if there were lots of snow with the coldness

Summer is too hot for me, but my favorite summer/spring month is June. This is my favorite winter month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia