Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,493 times

Advertisements

I am about to purchase a house in Fairfax Station (in $650K range), but the radon test came back 4.5.

This can be fixed with RADON mitigation system installation (about $1500).
Question is, will this be a resale killer on the house? I.e, should i wish to sell the house in a couple years, will the fact that there is RADON coming into the home that must be mitigated with a system send potential buyers running?

First large house i am buying and want to be sure i am not buying something that will have a stigma on it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
LOTS of homes have radon systems in place. It shouldn't be a big deal to an educated buyer. You will always have some paniced buyers, but really it's not an issue. When you have a buyer one day, they will most likely do a radon test and it should come back low since you put in the system.

Good luck and congrats on the house!!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 PM

66 posts, read 180,626 times
When I bought a house with a radon mitigation system in it it actually made me not worry about radon in the home. I considered the mitigation system a plus rather than a detraction.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
when I was looking at houses here in NOVA, almost every single one had a radon mitigation system in place...seemed that it's very very common here. Of course when our new build tested slightly high, we insisted that they put in mitigation and I am not worried about the resale at all.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,195 times
Do not worry about it, it is very common here especially as you get toward the west and will not discourage any potential buyer or their agent.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
Every house in my neighborhood has a radon remediation unit installed. No biggie. We didn't even consider it (and didn't get a radon test done because there was already a system in place). It is a very common occurrence in this area. Maybe negotiate with the seller to get them to cover the cost?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
If you look at a map of the VA-DC-MD area, you'll see areas of radon throughout the area with higher concentrations west towards the mountains (density of the land). I would think that a mitigation system would help re-sale since you've already installed one.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
Agree with South Jersey Styx on that one. If I were looking to buy a house in a high radon area, I think I'd prefer a house where the owner has been pro-active in addressing the situation and where a radon test would presumably show safe levels.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
We bought a house 10 years ago in Vienna and had the house tested for radon. It came back at a 4. I will admit I was quite nervous about it, too. We got the system, though, and it brought the level down to a 1 or 2 depending on the season. (This is in the basement only.) I haven't given it much thought since buying the house, although we haven't tried to sell yet. I do agree that it is quite common. At the same time we bought our house, my friend bought one in Reston that had a level 8. They bought the house and put in a system as well, and they still live there.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM

274 posts, read 709,030 times
As Margery says, it's quite common, mitigation is expected, and it hasn't been a huge issue for my clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Do not worry about it, it is very common here especially as you get toward the west and will not discourage any potential buyer or their agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia