Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,516 times

Advertisements

I know this question is a little late but I just discovered this site and was interested in getting some feedback.

My husband and I just put an offer on a house in Sterling in the Seneca Ridge area. We are in our early 30's with no kids yet and have lived in Fairfax County our entire lives (he is from Springfield and I am from Fairfax City area). This particular neighborhood is located north of Rt. 7 and to the left of Algonkian Parkway. It all seems well but I was just wondering if any locals have any advice?

He works in Fairfax City and I work in Annandale. I know that our commutes may be brutal but we really wanted a single family home at this point in our lives and we really seemed to like the Sterling area and thought that it was most affordable for the houses that we found. I have endured an hour and 15 minute commute from Fairfax to DC so I know I can handle that but these roads are all new to us.

Does anyone have any feedback on our specific area of Sterling as far as the neighborhood and the demographics (young families, older families, a mix??)? I have read a lot about other areas but couldn't find much on this area. Also, any advice on the best route to Annandale would be helpful. If I was to take the Toll Road, anyone know how much it costs?

Thanks so much in advance, we really appreciate it. Please be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,320,291 times
I have no first hand knowledge, but wondered if you have checked out the HOA website...It often gives you more specific details about the neighborhood...
Seneca Ridge HomeOwners Association

Good luck! And Congrats!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 17,955 times
Regarding the safety of an area, I always advise my clients to go past a neighborhood around 11pm on a Saturday night and make their own assessments.Due to fair housing there is a fine line and I never want to be presumed as if I am steering. Also, I always send them a link with demographics of their area.

Best of luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,783 times
Seneca Ridge is a very nice area of Sterling. There are several occasional posters who live in this area, perhaps one will chime in. I see families out with small children when I drive in the area, you can get a feel for the area by going there on a weekend day and just walking around. It is a very low crime area, I can't remember hearing of anything going on there and I live about 2 miles from there.

You can take Seneca Ridge Drive past Dominion High School to Augusta Drive and be on route 7 very close to Fairfax County Parkway, which will take you to route 50 to Fairfax City and then go on to Annandale from there on 236. Traffic will be heavy there depending on the time of day, but you won't have to use the toll road or the beltway. You will have to experiment and find out what is best for you, my advice is to get a map and try alternate routes.

Anyway, you have not made a mistake. You will enjoy the area, it is very close to Algonkian Park which is right on the Potomac River, with hiking paths, a public golf course and access to the river for boating or fishing.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,516 times
Thanks everyone for your responses! We did hear back and they like our contract so after we work out a few minor details, we may be residents of Loudoun County very shortly.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,097,433 times
We have friends who live off of Algonquian Pkway & Rte 7 so I think it's Seneca Ridge? It is a newish development and looks very clean and nice.

Not exactly sure how your neighborhood is as the Sugarland neighborhoods are near you and I hear mixed reviews about them. Anyway, congratulations on the new house!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM

172 posts, read 564,378 times
We're in Lowes Island and my hubby works in Springfield. He takes Fairfax Cty Pkwy all the way. He's tried every way possible, and says the good thing about FCP is it's constantly moving - usually the traffic lights work with you and there's not too much stop & go, or at least compared to the alternative routes.
I'm not very familiar w/the Seneca Ridge neighborhood, but have driven thru the area - it looks well-kept with lots of families. My DS's elem school feeds into Seneca Ridge MS & Dominion HS - I've heard good things about both schools.
Good luck w/your move!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
He's tried every way possible, and says the good thing about FCP is it's constantly moving - usually the traffic lights work with you and there's not too much stop & go, or at least compared to the alternative routes.
I really like FCP for the same reason. I find when I cross over the 7 and start driving on Algonkian Parkway, a feeling of peace comes over me. Like "Ahhh, I'm home."

I'm not personally familiar with Seneca Ridge but know many of the communities along Algonkian and all of them are nice. It's a very pretty and pleasant area to live, especially if you like taking walks or going to parks.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,804,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
...I find when I cross over the 7 and start driving on Algonkian Parkway...
the 7? Your Californian is coming out, Caladium. You've lived on the East Coast long enough; you should know better.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 AM

790 posts, read 1,882,237 times
A very good friend of mine lives in this area and it's very nice. I can't remember the subdivision name, but I always feel like I'm in another world, the second I turn off of Route 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia