Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM

29 posts, read 68,668 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Northern VA area or MD. I need some help.

My job is going to be in Chevy Chase MD and my wife is going to be working in Bethesda, MD. I am looking to rent an apartment for couple of years. No kids yet. Both the areas are expensive and I don't think I can rent there.

Is living in Tysons corner/Falls Church/NOVA a good idea? I have researched a little bit and people have suggested me to look into staying in Rockville, MD area. But I also found out that the traffic coming from Rockville towards Bethesda on I270 is as bad as traffic going north on I495. Is this true? If so is it better to stay in areas like Tyson corner?

I am looking for 2 bed room apartment. My range for rent is somewhere around 1500$ for 2 bed room. Is it too low? Is it possible to get an apartment in that area?

How bad a commute could be from Herdon/Reston to MD?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,237,069 times
With both of your jobs in Maryland, not looking for a long-term place to settle down, and no school-aged kids, I do not see any benefit for you to reside in Northern Virginia. Maybe Wheaton or Silver Spring would be possibilities, but the Maryland forum could give better answers.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,948 times
From VA you have one option, the Cabin john Bridge. Living in MD affords you many more commuting opportunities for working in the same area.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,807,461 times
I'd stay in Maryland, too. There's only one way over the bridge from Virginia to Maryland but there are many alternatives and backroads from Rockville to Bethesda or Chevy Chase.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,098,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin347 View Post
Is living in Tysons corner/Falls Church/NOVA a good idea?
Quote:
How bad a commute could be from Herdon/Reston to MD?
I side with previous posters in that is absolutely a horrid thought. Why venture into NoVA when both of you work in MD? Have you visited the area? If not, I encourage you to do so. Bethesda, Silver Spring, Chevy Chase, etc. are all very nice areas. There are many neighborhoods and regions in the outlying areas of these cities/towns; some could be more affordable.

Quote:
I have researched a little bit and people have suggested me to look into staying in Rockville, MD area. But I also found out that the traffic coming from Rockville towards Bethesda on I270 is as bad as traffic going north on I495.
Yes, the traffic on 270 is a nightmare during rush hours. Look in parts of Howard County (just north of the city). Burtonsville, MD is on Rte 29 which would bring you straight to your jobs. And Columbia, MD should also be investigated. [/quote]

Old 11-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the information.

I will look into Burtonsville and Columbia area. I have been to some potion of Rockville area and I did not like the apartments I saw so far. I am going for another tour coming weekend. Rockville/Bethesda/Chevy chase also has lot of good apartments but they look very pricey for my range. I talked to few people and they have expressed concerned over the Silver Spring, MD safety issues. Not sure how much is true. I am going to visit that area as well.

I was also thinking to see the areas little north toward Gaithersburg & germantown.

I also checked out some apartments in Tysons/Falls Church, Mclean and Vienna area. They are pricey and pretty old apartments. I was told Herndon and Reston are nice areas and little cheaper compared to Tysons, mclean etc.

I understand the commute could be an issue but I think for me priority is a good safe and nice neighborhood.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I side with previous posters in that is absolutely a horrid thought. Why venture into NoVA when both of you work in MD? Have you visited the area? If not, I encourage you to do so. Bethesda, Silver Spring, Chevy Chase, etc. are all very nice areas. There are many neighborhoods and regions in the outlying areas of these cities/towns; some could be more affordable.

Yes, the traffic on 270 is a nightmare during rush hours. Look in parts of Howard County (just north of the city). Burtonsville, MD is on Rte 29 which would bring you straight to your jobs. And Columbia, MD should also be investigated.
[/quote]

Old 11-08-2010, 01:32 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,230 times
You can find plenty of safe neighborhoods MUCH closer to your job than Herndon or Reston. I don't think you understand how awful that commute would be twice a day...

Silver Spring has good and bad areas, like any urban environment. I would definitely not brush off the entire city.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,098,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Silver Spring has good and bad areas, like any urban environment. I would definitely not brush off the entire city.
CaliTerp is right. You cannot just generalize one town or city. You have to take a look at the neighborhoods within those places.

I had a friend who lived in Takoma Park and it looked decent (old/historic but not ghettoey). Also, Langley Park might be a possibility but I don't know that much about it. Try the DC Forum and folks there might know.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Yes I agree. I am going to look at some apartments this weekend in SS and see if I like the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
CaliTerp is right. You cannot just generalize one town or city. You have to take a look at the neighborhoods within those places.

I had a friend who lived in Takoma Park and it looked decent (old/historic but not ghettoey). Also, Langley Park might be a possibility but I don't know that much about it. Try the DC Forum and folks there might know.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

20 posts, read 56,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin347 View Post
Thanks for the information.
I also checked out some apartments in Tysons/Falls Church, Mclean and Vienna area. They are pricey and pretty old apartments. I was told Herndon and Reston are nice areas and little cheaper compared to Tysons, mclean etc.

I understand the commute could be an issue but I think for me priority is a good safe and nice neighborhood.
As others have mentioned, it may be difficult to really appreciate how bad that commute would be for you until you've done it. It sucks bad, both ways (plus toll to/from Herndon/Reston). Unless you're working odd hours, I'd avoid the VA-to-MD thing.

I think you'll find $1500 doesn't get you very much in this area. I, like many others, had that same sticker-shock when I moved there. You'll have to look really hard and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia