Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 AM

25 posts, read 47,642 times

Advertisements

Hi, I shopped at a very nice Giant in Crofton, MD when visiting my B-I-L, but found one here in Arlington, and it was really small and not so nice. Anyone know of one in this area that is on the larger side and nice? Thanks!

Rhonda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
The one on Route 7 near Bailey's X-roads is really nice and big.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
The one is Sterling (Cascades Marketplace) has been recently remodeled and is very nice.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 109,172 times
There's one on route 7 in Falls Church that's very large - just off the Falls Church exit on 66 - going toward Falls Church. There's one in McLean on Chain Bridge road as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I think that the largest Giant in that area is going to be the new one at Loehman's Plaza on Route 50. Giant left the stores at Seven Corners and Yorktown to build that one, which is about the same size as the Hunter Mill Giant in Oakton. The Giant on S Glebe has been under reconstruction, and I am not sure if it's finished, but I don't know if it is larger than Loehman's.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-31-2010, 06:13 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I think that the largest Giant in that area is going to be the new one at Loehman's Plaza on Route 50. Giant left the stores at Seven Corners and Yorktown to build that one, which is about the same size as the Hunter Mill Giant in Oakton. The Giant on S Glebe has been under reconstruction, and I am not sure if it's finished, but I don't know if it is larger than Loehman's.
The giant on S. Glebe is significantly smaller than the one on Rt 7 or the one in Kingstowne. Unless their renovation involved taking over store space next door, it's probably nicer, but not larger.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
The one on Rt 7 is large, but it's frequently crowded and the parking lot is horrendous (regarding both potholes and drivers who probably should start putting the phone down and looking where they're going -- they "drive" their grocery carts inside the store the same way).

The Giant at Kingstowne is nicer and larger. It's like the difference you noticed the first time you stepped into a Target and compared it to WalMart. There's also a Giant in the Fair Lakes shopping area that's better than some of the others. I usually go to Giant on Columbia Pike in Annandale, but it's small, just like the one on Beauregard in Alexandria (that one is tiny, dark and just plain ick) and the one on Duke Street closer to Old Town Alexandria. They really are hit-or-miss, mostly miss. They built a lot of smaller ones years ago in places that don't have room for expansion.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Grocery stores in general are smaller in Arlington. The Harris Teeter in Shirlington often doesn't have what I need. Not to mention I've given up on ever shopping there right after work took forever to find a space in that crowded garage. Never been to an Arlington Safeway but the one on Wilson looks like its seen better days. But yeah the one on 7 is an exception. I think its the largest Giant in the DC area.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
Terrence--you're absolutely right about the Shirlington one! But I think of that as a convenience store. In Chicago, there are a lot of little groceries tucked into the lobbies of very large apartment/condo buildings (there was one in the condo building next to the old Sun-Times building, where I used to work--that building also had a McDonald's!). Because during winter time (OK, half the year!), those little groceries do a heck of a lot of business! As I'm sure Shirlington does. I also never go there on weekends even just to use the adjoining library; I've had to park illegally just to return books using the outside bins.

The Harris Teeter at the Lee Harrison shopping center, tho, is nice to shop at--again, if you can find a parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia