Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

These are photos of Fairfax City, taken on a sunny afternoon in mid September. I hope Alicia will provide commentary on some of these photos, since she’s our local expert on the area. I tried to shoot public, commercial and residential buildings, as well as the CUE bus, street lights, bike paths, and other such every day things. I particularly liked the sidewalks, which had plenty of benches and planters.

Lots of nice restaurants, some with live entertainment.

Bike path leads into local park.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Concert pavilion near City Hall.

Fairfax City runs it’s own bus line called the CUE bus.

Sidewalks in the historic area are wide, and have planters and benches.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 AM

I don’t know where these two got ice cream cones but they sure seemed to be enjoying them. They were making me hungry!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM

As with most of northern Virginia, there is plenty of construction taking place.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Those rowhomes that are right up near the sidewalk look pretty interesting.

I like you have a lot of photos with the lanterns as well in the picture...nice.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
As always, great pictures!

I can answer the mystery...The ice cream cones were from Woody's which recently re-opened in its new location behind the Auld Shebeen. Basically, it was about 100 feet from where you took their picture, around the corner, in the little alley area, behind the old TT Reynolds. It's roughly behind the Firestation 3, which was the old Firehouse Grille unitl recently.

The townhouses run from University Drive to Chain Bridge Road, and were built in the 1970s. They are across from the site of the former library that is now under construction as a new residential project. They have carports to the rear of them, and are accessed via Whitehead Street, or the dead-end section of Layton Hall Drive. AFAIK, they are the only townhouses of that kind in Fairfax, where parking is to the rear. Newer townhouses have garages, and the other older development, which is to the south on University, closer to City Hall, has surface parking lots in front of the units, but those do feature small yards to the rear.

ETA: The fauxlonial, newer looking townhouses that are depicted in Post #2 are actually commercial buildings on Armstrong Street. I just wanted to be clear, in case someone thought I was discussing those in the comments above.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-17-2010, 12:16 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Wow, not only did you take some terrific photos, but this is very thorough. You covered all the things people wonder about. Good job!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Was the big white building the original court house?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
That is the Old Fairfax Town Hall, actually, at Main and University. What is now a parking lot to the north will become part of the Kitty Pozer preserve. Kitty Pozer was the garden editor for the Washington Post and willed her property to Fairfax City -- and she happened to live in the Ratcliffe-Alison House next door.

Prior to the gravel parking lot, this was an unremarkable 1950s era commercial building that was long and low, with restaurants on the lower level, and offices on the second level. It was deemed an eyesore in that it blocked much of the side of the Old Town Hall, so it was secured and removed as part of the redevelopment plans of the downtown core.

The Old Courthouse is the brick structure that appears in the third post, second picture. Here is a link to the library's images of the courthouse through history: The Fairfax County Courthouse: A Brief History - FCPL

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia