Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 25,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Hi everyone!

I lived in NoVa for 6+ years as a single person. While I generally do well wherever I am, I have to admit that those were my 'desert years'. It was a tough time personally and for other reasons, and I was very happy to leave when I got married 7 years ago.

Weeelll, fast forward a few years and several military stations later, and DH is retiring from the military and beginning a second career. The overwhelming majority of the offers and opportunities either require or strongly urge him to live in the greater Metro area. *sigh* Although I'm really hoping we'll be able to live in one of the other areas we've looked into and are quite drawn to, if we have to do this I am going to make the best of it. (That recent post by Movewesttoeast was a HUGE encouragement!! )

I thought I'd ask folks here for opinions about where we might find a slower-paced, friendly, down-to-earth environment for our family. I really disliked the frenetic pace and often materialistic lifestyle I found so often closer inside the Beltway, so I hoped some of the areas out in Loudoun County (or even farther out) would be different. A recent visit to a friend in Gainesville shocked me with how busy and developed her specific area was, and I was concerned that there may not be "small-town" feeling places left! LOL Am I delusional to hope to find a place with honestly friendly neighbors, pleasant green spaces, places for kids to play, and the usual schools/Y/libraries in a reasonable distance?

How have Leesburg and similar locations changed in the last 5 years or so? Do we need to go farther out? He doesn't need to be within a very easy commute, but rather what he's calling "shouting distance" from the Herndon/Reston area.

Please spam me with your opinions on this one, and TIA.
My recommendation is a developement named Ravensworth Farms which is off Braddock Road, right off the beltway, and a short drive to Herndon/ Reston. Good family neighborhood, (I grew up there) and convienent to everything. Also good schools, theres an elementry school right in Ravensworth Farms developement...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Well I absolutely share your distrust of elected officials but I think the vast majority here in Western Loudoun will toss them out on their ear if they start getting ideas about developing beyond what is allowed. The mindset is much different out here. For example most of the gorgeous Middleburg countryside is in preservation so it can be done. You don't have to go far out here in Western Loudoun to find a ton of open land and working farms. Yes when the silver line is done it will be easier to commute to DC from out here, but I do hope the communities out west here keep their resolve to keep Loudoun beautiful...we're a pretty die hard bunch.

Oh and the zoning change was only within the last 2 yrs or so I believe, 10 acres = 1 building lot. yes there will be continued building and I'm sure many beautiful farms will continue to be developed but here's hoping it won't look anything like Leesburg with high density development. Hirst farm in Purcellville is a great example of horribly ugly high density development and of course it is grandfathered in since it's been developed over the last 5 yrs or so...but hopefully no more big developments like that will be approved. The people have spoken...
It's even better than that. In 2008 (or around then), zoning in western Loudoun was changed to one house per 20 acres. To subdivide a property, there must be at least 40 acres, and then it can be divided into two houses. Some cluster developments are allowed, if 70% of the space is left open with houses on 10 acre lots. It is next to impossible to have another development like Hirst Farm.
Lovettsville Real Estate Blog - Homefinders.com » » Zoning and Development in Loudoun County There is ZERO chance that western Loudoun will look like Leesburg. As you said, no politician would DARE to propose zoning changes in western Loudoun.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
It's even better than that. In 2008 (or around then), zoning in western Loudoun was changed to one house per 20 acres. To subdivide a property, there must be at least 40 acres, and then it can be divided into two houses. Some cluster developments are allowed, if 70% of the space is left open with houses on 10 acre lots. It is next to impossible to have another development like Hirst Farm.
Lovettsville Real Estate Blog - Homefinders.com » » Zoning and Development in Loudoun County There is ZERO chance that western Loudoun will look like Leesburg. As you said, no politician would DARE to propose zoning changes in western Loudoun.

thanks, I couldn't remember if it was 20 acres or 10 that's much better!~

Old 08-08-2010, 05:42 PM

189 posts, read 374,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I second and third the notion of areas west off of Rte 7 (Purcellville, Round Hill, etc.). We moved from NOVA/Sterling last year to Winchester, in the Shenandoah Valley, near Berryville and north of Stephens City and we love it. Houses are more affordable here, taxes are lower and you can get something lovely with some land. The people are extremely friendly. And this is a very walkable town. There are all the amenities you'd need here including supermarkets, two Lowes, two Walmarts, shops, restaurants, book stores, etc. It is a historic town so if you like old houses and historic architecture, then you'd love this place. Rte 81 runs north and south so if you're heading to Gettysburg, you'd go through the gorgeous scenic route via Harper's Ferry which is stunning.

The time estimates I'm reading so far are about right: about 40 minutes to leesburg, 1 hr to Reston/Herndon, that is, unless there's some traffic snarl-up. Otherwise the Dulles Greenway is quick and efficient. I had dinner with some friends in DC last week (near GWU campus) and it only took me 1.25 hrs to get in there. I was really shocked b/c I met them at 5:30pm on a Friday evening.
The forum won't let me give you any more rep points for this post, but I wanted to thank you specifically. I've been looking at Winchester online and think it might be the perfect solution. Land is generally something we love (my parents have 14 acres in Pennsylvania and it's idyllic), but at this phase in our lives we are kind of looking for the neighborhood experience for the little ones. I'm kind of glad they're not a dime a dozen out in western Loudoun, though; thank goodness people put things into place to stop sprawl before it got out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Have you considered MD? Maybe Hagerstown or Frederick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Frederick is nice. It does have that hometown feel to it My mom used to own a shop in the downtown part of Frederick. I don't know about schools though.
DH has something about Maryland, particularly taxes, it seems. Not sure it's so much worse than Virginia, but he's really not interested in looking at Maryland. (But I agree--Frederick can be rather charming.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiecrabby View Post
My recommendation is a developement named Ravensworth Farms which is off Braddock Road, right off the beltway, and a short drive to Herndon/ Reston. Good family neighborhood, (I grew up there) and convienent to everything. Also good schools, theres an elementry school right in Ravensworth Farms developement...
Thank you for that suggestion! I'm adding it to my places to research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
It's even better than that.... There is ZERO chance that western Loudoun will look like Leesburg. As you said, no politician would DARE to propose zoning changes in western Loudoun.
Cheers to Loudoun County!!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,455 times
I am actually moving out of a house right outside of Warrenton, VA. The area has a small town/ country feel without being too far away from DC. It's actually about 15-20 minutes south of Gainesville taking 29 South. If it weren't for a job conflict with the military I wouldn't be moving. Here is the link where you can view details about the house. Good luck with your search. Total Luxury! Fine Living in an Executive Community.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
I would also check out Aldie and even South Riding. South Riding may have some of that hometown feel that you are looking for, but is also pretty close to shopping and dining, and jobs.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 PM

189 posts, read 374,495 times
Thank you all so much. It looks like we're most likely heading to the Charlotte area (south of the city or into SC), and I'm so grateful for all the help you folks gave me in researching areas for our family. Thank you very much!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much. It looks like we're most likely heading to the Charlotte area (south of the city or into SC), and I'm so grateful for all the help you folks gave me in researching areas for our family. Thank you very much!
Good luck with your move to Charlotte! Hope you fnd a great place to live.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:56 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
I guess we won't be able to be neighbors after all! Good luck on your move to Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia