Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times

Advertisements

Anything you notice around here that strikes you as odd? I'll start with some:

- How little time NoVAns with beautiful yards spend outside
- How underutilized is the Potomac River as a Recreation venue
- The the scarcity of land "close-in" hasn't resulted in the gentrification ofRoute 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,686,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
- The the scarcity of land "close-in" hasn't resulted in the gentrification ofRoute 1.
That's because the Supervisors (Gerry Hyland in Mount Vernon; Jeff McKay and previously Dana Kauffman in Lee) have always wanted to keep it "affordable" and full of subsidized housing.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
- How underutilized is the Potomac River as a Recreation venue
Shhhhh.... don't jinx the best secret around...

I must admit, it's something I don't understand but I thank my lucky stars for it.

Yesterday my grandson took me out kayaking and there were only a few other people out on the river. It was very easy to feel we were far, far away from the rest of the world. We saw deer walking along the river's edge and a large number of herons on this one rocky outcrop. When we passed by it they spread their large wings and flew out on both sides of us. What an awesome sight! It amazes me that I can live so close to a major metropolitan area and yet be so apart from it.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,764 times
Here are some:
I can't seem to find anyone that serves a decent iced tea.
There are hardly any tennis courts.
People love to eat outside even in the hottest most humid weather!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:03 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,954,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
That's because the Supervisors (Gerry Hyland in Mount Vernon; Jeff McKay and previously Dana Kauffman in Lee) have always wanted to keep it "affordable" and full of subsidized housing.
BINGO!!! No one is going to invest in land that they can't sell for a reasonable price.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
BINGO!!! No one is going to invest in land that they can't sell for a reasonable price.
Now now, the point of this is not to offer explanations, just your observations.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM

494 posts, read 1,192,382 times
Some neighborhoods have sidewalks, then they mysteriously end to someone's yard.
Sometimes the sidewalks are on one side; nothing on the other side.
Sometimes there are no sidewalks on either side.

I guess this explains why people drive to the grocery store even though it's only 6 blocks away.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 PM

51 posts, read 89,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Shhhhh.... don't jinx the best secret around...

I must admit, it's something I don't understand but I thank my lucky stars for it.

Yesterday my grandson took me out kayaking and there were only a few other people out on the river. It was very easy to feel we were far, far away from the rest of the world. We saw deer walking along the river's edge and a large number of herons on this one rocky outcrop. When we passed by it they spread their large wings and flew out on both sides of us. What an awesome sight! It amazes me that I can live so close to a major metropolitan area and yet be so apart from it.
Secret?

Why spend time at a river (freebie) when people have pool memberships, beach homes, private pools, and country clubs memberships in NoVa?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,249,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
Here are some:
There are hardly any tennis courts.
Come to Reston - we have tons!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:45 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,249,346 times
Million dollar home with vinyl siding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia