Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 PM

212 posts, read 503,153 times

Advertisements

oh i forgot to mention that the basement is really above ground... the house is sort of sitting on a mini grade, most of the basement is above grade... part of the basement like 1/4 of the house is about 75% height in the slope.... the rest of it is well above grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM

Found a few company around the area... some of it you may heard of...

anyone has any comment towards these companies?

1. Master Care Services: About Us (Master Care Services)
2. Lebron & Sons Constructon Co

570-243-4515
125 Holiday Dr White Haven, PA 18661

3. [FONT='Palatino Linotype', serif]Chad Liero Custom Homes, LLC

[/font]John Beresch Contracting

Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 PM

173 posts, read 583,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
Thank you pocopc... the basement does not seem to be flooded at all though... but I will ask the contractor about it and see how much it will cost to install one. but one question though... where is the water coming from... i mean if the basement will be flooded always, why finish it?

My water came up from the sump hole. But others have it come in thru the cracks in the wall/floor. The water table is high on the mountain so when it rains alot the water just comes up thru any way it can. if you dont have a pump and/or french drains sometimes it will just flood out the basement.

Since its above ground, you probably wont need to worry about it. Raised Ranches and such that have the foundation mostly above ground dont seem to have any issues.

I asked my wife since she works at a building supply company, and she does know John Beresch. She said he is good.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,691,091 times
Looks like your getting some good advice......
Also make sure the drains from your home go out underground a good amount of feet. Have that drain into rock. Plant water absorbing plants along your foundations.....
This has worked in two homes the family has owned. We made our own french drains, and we planted . No more flooded basements. The sump pump also helps for sure.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 PM

I am so tempted to plant bamboo all around... a new change for the Pocono to see bamboo... but last thing I want to see is that the half acre lot is filled with bamboo and in 5 years, it would spread to 10 blocks... my weekend neighbors will kill me :P

After months of research, I have discovered a species of bamboo that only grows to 15-20 feet tall, thin in stem diameter, and can withstand freezing weather.
We planted that type of bamboo into a 6 inch gap in between the concrete patio along the fence in our tiny backyard here in the city...

in just 1 year, those 6 inch gaps are FILLED with new bamboo stems and all of them are 10 feet tall already. It is so pretty like Japanese garden along the fence.

OK back to finding a good contractor!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM

humm no one has any comment? everyone fixes their own house and not hire any contractor?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM

65 posts, read 112,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
humm no one has any comment? everyone fixes their own house and not hire any contractor?
This might sound funny but.... Try Scranton Landscaping LLC or Scranton Landscaping LLC - home I know the owner and he does just about everything. Fair prices for roofs or your basement. Give them a call. I had some work done not to long ago. Very nice people to deal with.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 PM

John, would you please send me a Direct message on what work Scranton Landscaping has done for you please? thanks.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:06 AM

so to follow up on my adventure of seeking a good AND reasonable contractor in the Poconos...

We found an EXCELLENT roofer to strip and replaced our roof. I am not sure if I can post their name, but omg, 100% professional work.
we also found a good plumber and electrican, I heard mix feeling about them though, but so far, he did what he is tasked to do with reasonable price.

we also found a good father and son team of tree cutter/trimmer... decent price and excellent service.

our nightmare came when the handyman we hired to do some work in the basement, did 3 hr of work, delivered $100 worth of materials and RAN AWAY with our deposit...

so our search for a good, reasonable, trust worthy handy man continues.... does anyone know someone who fixes your house's common issues? Please feel free to refer to us. thanks...

poconogirl

Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 AM

hummm anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania