Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM

15 posts, read 53,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syop_aust View Post
What are the best Areas to Live in The City of Scranton or Wilkes-Barre?
What would a good price to rent a one or two bedroom Apartment there ?
what exactly are you looking for? & what budget are you working with?

In Scranton you pretty much need a car to survive & there isnt much to do in the residential areas anyways so the choice comes down to how much you are willing to pay...I live by Lake Scranton & its a nice, quiet area & in the 1.5 yrs I've been here, havent come across any crime.

Keyser Avenue has a fabulous apt complex called Keyser terrace - lil pricey though

Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
I grew up in Plains township which was nice...still is. When I got older, I moved to Mountaintop.
I didn't like it at first, but grew to love it. Once I got use to driving up and down the mountain
(especially in the Winter!), I felt like I was living in "country heaven"...so quiet and peaceful.
The sky is so beautiful at night..you feel like you're on top of the world there. I have been
living in the South for the past 10 yrs. and miss NEPA very much.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Says who? Where?

We are opting to stay in WB and if, for job reasons, we have to move...it will be to another urban area.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I live in Wilkes-barre and love it. The downtown is bouncing back strong, lots of new construction, restaraunts, a new transportation center ect.

Do you work for the chamber of commerce?

LOL - maybe the city should start patching the massive potholes and the crumbing infrastructure.

Bouncing back strong? - The only new businesses opening are bars to serve the college students..

Add to that the crackheads and prostitutes roaming the streets at all hours of the day or night..

All these wonderful benefits for 3% local income tax rate - when the surrounding communities tax their citizens 1%.

To the OP - stay away from Wilkes-Barre - it's a DUMP !!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Do you work for the chamber of commerce?
Neither my husband or I work for an entity that is associated with the city government.

Quote:
LOL - maybe the city should start patching the massive potholes and the crumbing infrastructure.
Yeah, so this is a problem allllll over PA, not just here. So are you suggesting people don't live in PA at all? REALLY?

Quote:
Bouncing back strong? - The only new businesses opening are bars to serve the college students..
Bullspit. There are several giftshops, upscale restaurants and a movie theater & popular bookstore that do a very good business in downtown WB.

Quote:
Add to that the crackheads and prostitutes roaming the streets at all hours of the day or night..
1. You are wrong.
2. When is the last time you were in WB in the middle of the night?

Quote:
All these wonderful benefits for 3% local income tax rate - when the surrounding communities tax their citizens 1%.
And your point is? You have a totally ridiculous, fictional view of WB that is only spouted by people who don't live here. It's bullcrap.

Quote:
To the OP - stay away from Wilkes-Barre - it's a DUMP !!!!
Wrong. Totally, emphatically, without a doubt, you are wrong. And not only are you wrong, but you are ignorant and your opinion is totally without merit.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Neither my husband or I work for an entity that is associated with the city government.

Yeah, so this is a problem allllll over PA, not just here. So are you suggesting people don't live in PA at all? REALLY?

I live in White Haven, 25 miles away on the western edge of the Poconos.
Our roads have no potholes.

Bullspit. There are several giftshops, upscale restaurants and a movie theater & popular bookstore that do a very good business in downtown WB.

If it was not for the colleges (Kings & Wilkes) the bookstore would be out of business. Gift Shops --- LMAO. Upscale restaurants- did Thom Greco pay his delinquent property taxes yet?

1. You are wrong.
2. When is the last time you were in WB in the middle of the night?

I would not take the chance to park my vehicle in that crime infested dump during nightime hours. Last time I was in town I decided to grab a quich lunch at Abe's Hotdogs on S Main Street. There were two hookers and a couple of hooded thugs on the corner eyeing up my vehicle - and I'm sure they weren't selling Girl Scout Cookies.

I told the one yellow eyed community leader not to get any funny ideas because I will be keeping a close eye on him.

The graffitti laden buildings on the lower end of S Main Street and the smell of humanity almost made me lose my lunch as I drove out of town.

And your point is? You have a totally ridiculous, fictional view of WB that is only spouted by people who don't live here. It's bullcrap.

My local tax rate paid to Dennison Township is 1%.
Are you denying that WB charges their residents 3%?

Wrong. Totally, emphatically, without a doubt, you are wrong. And not only are you wrong, but you are ignorant and your opinion is totally without merit.
Ignorant? Why not use the latest greatest liberal buzzword and call me a Xenophobe?

I stay in White haven thank you. Where I can sleep in peace with my doors and windows open and unlocked with no fear of breakins or violence.

Say Hello to Mayor Leighton and all the crooks at the Courthouse for Me!!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 PM

So you live in White Haven with no potholes. Good for you. You also live in an area where no one really visits or wants to spend money. Go White Haven. The bookstore actually does a GREAT retail business outside of college booksales. Where are you getting your info? You can LMAO all you want - fact stands: There are upscale restaurants in WB. They may not be up to the White Haven brand of a night out, but they are what they are...

How do you know they were hookers? I live in an area that most out-of-towners would deem unsafe. It makes me laugh.

I am asking why you believe an urban area should charge less than 3%....

I have no issue with locking my doors. Takes two seconds, and quite frankly, if people wanted to get into my home, they could.

And if you think there are no crooks in your gov't...well....ignorance is bliss, isn't it? LOL ::shaking head::

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 PM

We get our share of visitors staying at the nearby Hickory Run State park and the rafters and kayakers that utilize the Lehigh River. I get to see them from my deck that overlooks the river.
Thankfully come Sunday afternoon they all head back to their city haunts.

The one hooker asked me if I wanted a date....That's how I know she was a hooker. I would not have touched that piece of skank if it was for free and she was the last woman on earth.

Please explain what services WB provides to it's residents that warrant 3% income tax when EVERY OTHER MUNICIPALITY IN THE AREA charges it's residents 1%..

Oh wait - I can offer one up - how about properly paved roads?

Here's another one - how about a functioning water fountain in the downtown Public Square???
(too bad it's broke and WB can't fix it - the derelicts that call it home will be able to bathe!!!).

Keep digging deeper Magritte....

Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM

LOL OF COURSE, you had a hooker proposition you. They must have a special radar for out of towners.

We live in a city, we are going to pay more into maintenance and salaries than other areas. I totally accept it.

You can bash WB all you want. All I know is that I am a happily married mother of two that finds WB to be a totally family friendly city.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM

I am glad you are happy.

However, you painted a very rosey picture for a person seeking out factual information about WB city - and you clearly avoided the crumbling roads and infrastructure, extremely high earned income tax rate (200% higher) than surrounding communities, high crime rate and rampant drug and street gang problems created by NYC and Phila implants.

I speak the truth... If it hurts, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania