Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
They would HAVE NEVER moved into Scranton's downtown. Not in a million years. The only corporations that are in Scranton is Prudential and I think the JC Penny building......

Why would you open a company in a city with an oppressive mercantile tax, business priviledge tax and the second highest wage tax in the state.

What drives me nuts is that there are people that think companies will move into Scranton because the parks are nice or that they rehab'd a block of Lackawanna ave.....

Ever wonder why the surrounding business aprks are full of companies that USED TO BE LOCATED in Scranton proper?

I personally doubt that the stadium needs the repairs as much as I think that contributors to the new commissioners need kickback construction contracts.

Let them leave. The economic impact to the city of Scranton is minimal at best IMHO.
Exactly. My company, Harper Collins, used to be located downtown years ago until they moved to Throop in the sixties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Hockey is a game that really needs to be seen live to appreciate it.
I agree....live hockey games are great, but as much as I've tried, it just doesn't keep my attention for long on TV. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot now that I have a HD TV.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM

79 posts, read 150,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Television doesn't do it justice unless it is in HD.
But boy does it compensate in HD!

Depending on where your seats are, I think hockey is almost better viewed on HD than live in person. At the house my wife and I have a 48 inch television for the family room and we hooked it up to one of those Home-Theater-in-a-Box surround sound sets. While it doesn't quite fully capture the experience of being there in person, it comes pretty close.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM

331 posts, read 639,961 times
I can't stand the Yanks, and won't see them because of that.

That said, I used to go to Red Barons games when I lived here previously. They were cheap, fun and you got great seats. I don't remember the stadium seeming that old, but again I haven't been there in a few years. I would say let the Yanks go if they want to leave, it's not worth having them here anyway. They're far too polarizing a team.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
They would HAVE NEVER moved into Scranton's downtown. Not in a million years. The only corporations that are in Scranton is Prudential and I think the JC Penny building......

Why would you open a company in a city with an oppressive mercantile tax, business priviledge tax and the second highest wage tax in the state.

What drives me nuts is that there are people that think companies will move into Scranton because the parks are nice or that they rehab'd a block of Lackawanna ave.....

Ever wonder why the surrounding business aprks are full of companies that USED TO BE LOCATED in Scranton proper?

I personally doubt that the stadium needs the repairs as much as I think that contributors to the new commissioners need kickback construction contracts.

Let them leave. The economic impact to the city of Scranton is minimal at best IMHO.
Only corporations in Scranton are Prudential and the JC Penny building?
What about PNC-Northeast Region Administration offices, Penn Foster College (which I believe is for profit), Penn Security Bank, Diversified Information Technology (which moved it's corporate headquarters from Pittston), etc. and I believe there are also some meat packing plants that are corporately owned within the city limits.

The reason all of these industries opened up or moved outside of the city of Scranton is the same it has elsewhere, no one wants it in their neighborhood. They all want the jobs and the money it brings, they just don't want the street traffic and the noise. So on was the migration out of the city to large industrial parks away from neighborhoods.

When Jerry Joyce first went before the zoning board for his planned mixed use loft project near Nay Aug all I saw and heard at the zoning board meetings and talk in the neighborhood was they didn't want the noise from the business with truck traffic and such, they didn't want the additional car traffic from the tenants, etc.

I saw this in other cities too. People moved into industrial districts and then complained and complained. Then you have a city like NYC where people will give just about anything to live in the garment district, the meat packing district, etc. with no complaints what so ever.
Well you cannot have it both ways. So Scrantonians will need to make up thier minds as to what they want and stop complaining.

Last edited by shoegal111; 07-06-2009 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Only corporations in Scranton are Prudential and the JC Penny building?
What about PNC-Northeast Region Administration offices, Penn Foster College (which I believe is for profit), Penn Security Bank, Diversified Information Technology (which moved it's corporate headquarters from Pittston), etc. and I believe there are also some meat packing plants that are corporately owned within the city limits.

The reason all of these industries opened up or moved outside of the city of Scranton is the same it has elsewhere, no one wants it in their neighborhood. They all want the jobs and the money it brings, they just don't want the street traffic and the noise. So on was the migration out of the city to large industrial parks away from neighborhoods.

When Jerry Joyce first went before the zoning board for his planned mixed use loft project near Nay Aug all I saw and heard at the zoning board meetings and talk in the neighborhood was they didn't want the noise from the business with truck traffic and such, they didn't want the additional car traffic from the tenants, etc.

I saw this in other cities too. People moved into industrial districts and then complained and complained. Then you have a city like NYC where people will give just about anything to live in the garment district, the meat packing district, etc. with no complaints what so ever.
Well you cannot have it both ways. So Scrantonians will need to make up thier minds as to what they want and stop complaining.
In weluvpa's defense I think the first part of your reply can best be addressed by clarifying that he was providing us with the only two or three businesses on Montage Mountain that are actually within Scranton's municipal boundaries (my father worked at Prudential for a number of years, so I know they are definitely in Scranton).

Also, some businesses are good for the city while others can be a detriment to a neighborhood. Dan led a successful crusade to rid Lower Green Ridge of Daron Northeast because of numerous alleged violations they were committing against nearby residents. I even went undercover "Erin Brockovich"-style and snapped some photos of the area in question and agreed with Dan's assessment that the heavy truck traffic in and out of Daron was causing nearby side streets to buckle. The particular day I was there yielded none of the alleged noxious dust/fumes, but then again I didn't go on a particularly warm or windy day. A business like that did NOT belong in a residential area. However, if MetLife decided to bring 100 white-collar jobs to the former Daron building, I'm sure nearby residents would not be opposed to that.

I'm in the camp that supports mixed-use zoning and hopes to see Scranton continue to "infill" in the coming years. Shoegal, do you mean to tell me that people actually opposed The Lofts at the Mill? WHY?!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
In weluvpa's defense I think the first part of your reply can best be addressed by clarifying that he was providing us with the only two or three businesses on Montage Mountain that are actually within Scranton's municipal boundaries (my father worked at Prudential for a number of years, so I know they are definitely in Scranton).

Also, some businesses are good for the city while others can be a detriment to a neighborhood. Dan led a successful crusade to rid Lower Green Ridge of Daron Northeast because of numerous alleged violations they were committing against nearby residents. I even went undercover "Erin Brockovich"-style and snapped some photos of the area in question and agreed with Dan's assessment that the heavy truck traffic in and out of Daron was causing nearby side streets to buckle. The particular day I was there yielded none of the alleged noxious dust/fumes, but then again I didn't go on a particularly warm or windy day. A business like that did NOT belong in a residential area. However, if MetLife decided to bring 100 white-collar jobs to the former Daron building, I'm sure nearby residents would not be opposed to that.

I'm in the camp that supports mixed-use zoning and hopes to see Scranton continue to "infill" in the coming years. Shoegal, do you mean to tell me that people actually opposed The Lofts at the Mill? WHY?!

Yes, they were. I saw it all play out on TV as well as hearing it first hand. Darden may have been a bad apple but I have no doubt that if Diversified wanted to put one of it's warehouse in a Scranton neighborhood the reaction would have been the same. In Darden's defense though regarding the truck traffic only seems to me the city should have fixed the road to carry that kind of truck traffic if the area is zoned industrial. If someone wanted to reopen the silk mills in the South Side and East Scranton neighborhoods and run them around the clock the neighbors would scream about it, even though those areas are industrial/residential.

Recently, a local business woman operating a company which manufactures aromatherapy products was given a difficult time at city council meetings. She requested a small loan (25K) from the city to expand her business and there were residents who obviously didn't know anything about her business came to the city council meetings to oppose the loan saying "more investigation is needed", "she's practicing therapy without a license", "how do we know her business isn't creating an environmental problem", etc. and her business is in the downtown area.

And if Metlife or any other business opened in the city, hiring for white collar jobs and operated 24X7, the neighbors would not want it, again because of the traffic.

Last edited by shoegal111; 07-06-2009 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: addition of last paragraph

Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Recently, a local business woman operating a company which manufactures aromatherapy products was given a difficult time at city council meetings. She requested a small loan (25K) from the city to expand her business and there were residents who obviously didn't know anything about her business came to the city council meetings to oppose the loan saying "more investigation is needed", "she's practicing therapy without a license", "how do we know her business isn't creating an environmental problem", etc. and her business is in the downtown area.
You really can't take Ozzie Quinn too seriously sometimes. While I think he's a rather intelligent guy who generally means well with his ideas, I worry that senility is starting to settle in with his old age. I saw that entire debacle unfold earlier this year on Channel 61, and it was a MESS, to say the least! Some people don't know a thing about the phrase "law suit!"

Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You really can't take Ozzie Quinn too seriously sometimes. While I think he's a rather intelligent guy who generally means well with his ideas, I worry that senility is starting to settle in with his old age. I saw that entire debacle unfold earlier this year on Channel 61, and it was a MESS, to say the least! Some people don't know a thing about the phrase "law suit!"
Yes, and unfortunately it just isn't Ozzy.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Metlife doesn't operate 24/7, nor does Prudential and I will let you in on a secret...If you have ever worked on Montage you would realize that companies like Prudential(where I worked and was licensed) creates alot of traffic in the morning and the end of the day and I would never want that in my neighborhood. I would not want to worry about my son or wife getting hit by some idiot who is late for work.

Companies like that belong in business parks or downtown, period. If you keep stuffing the neighborhoods with business you will no longer have neighborhoods....Obviously this doesn't mean much to a single unattached person who travels alone around the counrty, but it does mean alot to those of us that have wives and children, who we want to be able to play in and around our neighbors and their families.

mod cut, personal attack

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-08-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania