Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieBee View Post
Thanks, blip! We've got a lot of research to do, but it's the kind I enjoy. The more I investigate the Scranton area the more pleased I am. This is going to be a good move.

I grew up on PA, on the other side :-). Just north of Pittsburgh.

Can someone point me to FAQs for this forum? I'm a long time forum (and usenet) poster here in Iowa, but this set up is unfamiliar to me. What does it mean to add to someone's reputation? What's the point of rating a post as positive? I'm pretty internet/computer savvy, but have the charming trait to not see something that's right under my nose. My google skills are thoroughly underwhelming. I like to post, though.
I joined this forum in mid-2006 when there were still under 10,000 registered members (amazing now as we near a half-million, isn't it?!) LOL! Back then I felt as if the reputation system had much more substance to it. People would "rep" someone who was consistently helpful and who strove to make a difference on our forum. My first true "friend" on here was MoMark, a very highly-regarded member who died suddenly of a tragic illness. I felt honored that one of the forum's "big shots" had taken such a keen interest in me for online friendship, and I didn't handle his loss very well (much as how I now feel my heart sinking to read of all of the depression cathyde, I LOVE PA, ashley19, etc. are all enduring right now). We're all a big cyber-family here. When one of us suffers, it affects us all.

Every time someone hits an increment of 1800 rep points they receive a "badge." I have two because my reputation is now over 3600, and I'll receive three when I hit 5400 (assuming I'm not banned by then for my political beliefs!) LOL! Way back when we also used to have the ability to reduce a poster's reputation in order to discourage them from acting out-of-line and to punish them for callous behaviors. Unfortunately it soon became apparent to the moderators that many were ABUSING the negative reputation system "known as red dots," so they abolished them. My own reputation would probably be over 4000 by now if I didn't endure a few hundred of these "red dots" in prior years, largely from people who disagreed with me on either the NJ (man those people are hostile!) or Politics boards.

It used to be that, generally speaking, someone with a very high reputation was seen as being more reliable and more credible. If someone with a high reputation replied to your inquiries, you knew you weren't getting a load of garbage. Unfortunately, a number (not all) of the "power hitters" with the rep points didn't gain their high numbers through being helpful, but rather they CHEATED THE SYSTEM with stupid little "repping games" designed solely to rack up points before the moderators caught on. The regulars on the Religious forums are legendary for repping one another incessantly with their "Amen!" and "Praise the Lord!"

I used to care about my reputation here. Not anymore. Instead I view the "read count" as a better barometer of how I'm doing. Being the second-most-visible individual here out of nearly a half-million makes me realize that what I type is read by many, many people, hence why I don't like it when others try to belittle me behind my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 AM

This symbol , which is located in the upper-right-hand corner of a post, can be used to increase a member's reputation. Use this if what the member posted was credible, sensible, helpful, or flat-out humorous. I've even used it as a means to give a "gift" to people who are feeling down in the dumps, as I can award up to six points of reputation at a time (those with higher reputations can give out higher rep point boosts to others as their own reward for amassing a high reputation). You can click on this and include a little message in there if you'd like, but it will remain anonymous unless you type in your name at the end.

This symbol , which is located near to the scale, should be used sparingly. This will automatically send out a "red flag" to the moderators to review that post and make appropriate "adjustments" if deemed to be necessary. Use this when you see unjust name-calling, inflammatory language, trolling (i.e. posting stuff just to elicit commotion), etc. I use this rarely myself but used it the other day to defend go phillies from a "one-post-wonder" on the Jon & Kate thread who wrote some VERY nasty things about him. Do NOT use this if you merely disagree with the poster's beliefs (i.e. "Scranton sucks" is permissible language; it's free speech, even if it's an over used phrase on this forum).

This phrase "Rate This Post Positively" near the bottom-left will automatically boost a member's rep count by one point when clicked, but unlike the scale you will NOT be afforded the opportunity to add a message to your rep boost. I get a LOT of rep boosts from "guests" (people who just cruise around but don't wish to register), and often times I believe they just click on this to show their approval.

Anything else we can do to help?!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-21-2008 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Text Formatting Error

Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM

14 posts, read 25,028 times
Thanks, ScranBarre. It's an interesting concept to be "rated" in writing by fellow posters. I've been a long time (one of the first) posters to our local forum, sponsored by our newspaper, and the only rating system here is to call others names. Some of it is good natured, some definitely not. I've also been called a "Pollyanna" because of my almost 100% positive postings about our city, but I do love it here and there are enough naysayers to more than balance out me and a few others.

I build web sites both for profit and fun, though mostly fun these days. In response to all the negative forum posts here I started a web site to highlight all the good things here. If anyone is interested in where I'm coming from (literally!!) the web site is here.

From all that's happened in the past few days it seems that son and I will be moving to Scranton sooner rather than later.

I can't wait!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM

904 posts, read 2,056,237 times
Quote:
Can someone point me to FAQs for this forum? I'm a long time forum (and usenet) poster here in Iowa, but this set up is unfamiliar to me.
The FAQ is here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
You can get to it by clicking "City-Data Forum", the top-level of the bread crumbs above, and scroll to the "Administration Zone" at the bottom of the list

And rep points for mentioning usenet.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post

And rep points for mentioning usenet.
Why, thank you, blip!!!

Will read the FAQs tomorrow. Just got home from our community choir's performance of the Messiah. Our son had 2 solos!

One of his quests will be to find a community choir in the Scranton area. We've already scoped out the community band (forget the name - he and I are both musicians) and he's got a beautiful singing voice.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
I grew up on PA, on the other side :-). Just north of Pittsburgh.

Then you'll fit in fine here. Scranton really is kind of a "little" Pittsburgh. The culture is pretty similar.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Then you'll fit in fine here. Scranton really is kind of a "little" Pittsburgh. The culture is pretty similar.
Except for the fact that Pittsburgh has a gorgeous skyline, and ours sucks!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 PM

87 posts, read 183,338 times
Quote:
Why, thank you, blip!!!

Will read the FAQs tomorrow. Just got home from our community choir's performance of the Messiah. Our son had 2 solos!

One of his quests will be to find a community choir in the Scranton area. We've already scoped out the community band (forget the name - he and I are both musicians) and he's got a beautiful singing voice.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!
Welcome to NEPA. There are so many people on this forum that are helpful. You ask it and someone will respond. I am new too so this is a wonderful place to learn about the area. good luck

Old 12-22-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
This post gave me a huge grin. I've missed Pittsburgh since moving away many years ago. Just getting back to PA makes me feel great!

I'll think I died and went to heaven if the accents in NEPA are even close to Pgh has to offer.

I'm getting more excited about this move as each day passes. Now my husband just has to start his job (Jan. 5!!) so this will become a reality.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,691 times
Quote:
I'll think I died and went to heaven if the accents in NEPA are even close to Pgh has to offer.
I think you will like the native accent. Of course, there are a lot of New Jersey and New York transplants in the area, but the local accent reminds me of Chicago, and possibly Pittsburg. It is certainly very different than the Philadelphia accent. You tell us what you think after you arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania