Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 34,017 times

Advertisements

Leave NEPA. Maybe even the state. I left after high school and I've lived in 5 different states now, and I am never coming back. I don't want to be too mean, but since the area is so toxic with pollution, ( 7 people on my street in Larksville had cancer), I recommend leaving for that reason only.
I laughed when the National news covered the gross intolerance of Hispanics going on up there. It's so so disgusting, but expected.
I wasn't surprised that some people (during this campaign) said people from PA were "bitter" and "racist". A lot people in NEPA are that way.
There are also good people there who don't know any better, because they only know what they've been taught. Chances are a lot of people are this way.

If people were better educated and if the area were a little more diverse, I don't think it would be so bad.

Everyone I have ever met whose left NEPA (and PA) always ALWAYS says "Thank GOD I got out of there".

You have no idea how bad it is until you LEAVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 AM

248 posts, read 799,107 times
i have left and WISH i could go back.

i see you live in Hawaii - just coming back to NEPA to spread your cheer?

sorry if i am being harsh - i dont mean to be, but i am sick of people bashing a truly wonderful place to live. i am sorry if you had a bad experience, but not everyone has/will.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:50 AM

904 posts, read 2,057,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapason05 View Post
Leave NEPA. Maybe even the state. I left after high school and I've lived in 5 different states now, and I am never coming back. I don't want to be too mean, but since the area is so toxic with pollution, ( 7 people on my street in Larksville had cancer), I recommend leaving for that reason only.
I laughed when the National news covered the gross intolerance of Hispanics going on up there. It's so so disgusting, but expected.
I wasn't surprised that some people (during this campaign) said people from PA were "bitter" and "racist". A lot people in NEPA are that way.
There are also good people there who don't know any better, because they only know what they've been taught. Chances are a lot of people are this way.

If people were better educated and if the area were a little more diverse, I don't think it would be so bad.

Everyone I have ever met whose left NEPA (and PA) always ALWAYS says "Thank GOD I got out of there".

You have no idea how bad it is until you LEAVE.
Thank you for your keen insight--I'm sure you know the personal situations, finances, and tastes of everyone reading this. Understanding this, I'm sure they will all heed your advice and leave promptly.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Thank you for edumacating us dumb hicks, what would we do without such intelligent people like yourself to enlighten us.

Can't say I've lived anywhere else but I have traveled quite extensively through many parts of this country. Plenty of nice places to live but nothing beats home. Think I'll go hunt some varmints now right after I get done reading the bible.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:01 AM

10 posts, read 34,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post

sorry if i am being harsh - i dont mean to be, but i am sick of people bashing a truly wonderful place to live. i am sorry if you had a bad experience, but not everyone has/will.

Maybe you didn't stay away long enough. I remember when I first moved to Washington state, I called my friend back in PA.. I was so excited because strangers in the grocery store SMILED and said HELLO. People let me go when they had the right of way in traffic. My friend didn't believe me. haha
I was in awe of how friendly everyone was. They all cared about the environment and about treating people right. They were tolerant and educated.
There are so many places like that in the US.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 AM

858 posts, read 3,045,758 times
Thumbs down A Hawaii boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post

Thats funny! The person lives in Hawaii and then trashes PA!! Didnt think they had internet out there?? O-well that person is a lot smarter then us dumb PA, fokes. Hope the sharks dont get ya out their! lol...

Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 AM

858 posts, read 3,045,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapason05 View Post
Maybe you didn't stay away long enough. I remember when I first moved to Washington state, I called my friend back in PA.. I was so excited because strangers in the grocery store SMILED and said HELLO. People let me go when they had the right of way in traffic. My friend didn't believe me. haha
I was in awe of how friendly everyone was. They all cared about the environment and about treating people right. They were tolerant and educated.
There are so many places like that in the US.

"There are so many places like that in the US" Im glad you found one of them! Do us all a favor and stay there! We already got enoff people coming from the city that think there S@#! dont stink!!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 AM

904 posts, read 2,057,305 times
I'd post some more now, but I gotta go shoot me a skwirl for breakfas'. Den I gotta call da INS and report my naybers; dey got some funny akacent. Den I gotta go ta da church. Hoo-wee, busy day.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:37 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
You know, I happen to likewise be a college-educated young professional who is moving out of NEPA in 2009. However, I can already safely tell you that I will most certainly be returning ("I'll be Bach" for you Gov. Schwarzenegger fans out there!) Connecticut will offer my same-sex partner and I the opportunity to have our relationship formally recognized, Hartford is teeming with lucrative career opportunities in my field, and best of all it's only a two-hour or less jaunt to Boston, New York City, or Providence. The beaches of the Long Island Sound are under an hour away. Hartford itself is one of the nation's slummiest and impoverished cities, but I have my sights set upon Manchester, a suburb about ten minutes to the east with an urban flair (reminiscent of Kingston or Dunmore).

I'm going to miss NEPA quite a bit, but I have to do what's best for my career and for my personal life. A few weeks ago I was once again graced with someone screaming a slur out of their car window at me for being of an alternative sexual orientation. I'm not implying that this doesn't happen in New England as well, but obviously the general populace is much more tolerant if they aren't protesting or boycotting their states' legalization of same-sex marriage while here in PA quite a few people still believe sexual orientation is a "choice."

Thank you though for your need to enlighten us "hicks" from way out there in the Valhalla of Hawaii. I'll remember how inbred I am when I'm driving my Audi TT Roadster through CT with a Starbucks thermos in the center console compartment, an Enya CD in my player, and an iPhone at the ready to take important business calls that I likely won't be able to understand because I'm a product of our sub-par area.

For as many political and sociocultural flaws as I can find in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (the chronic whiners at Scranton council meetings, the love and promotion of urban sprawl, the narrow-mindedness towards minorities, the lack of a desire to pursue further education, etc.) it will ALWAYS be "home" to me, no matter where my future endeavors lead me. I learned to ride my bike here. I first fell in love here (well, in the Poconos, but close enough). I broke my first bone here while growing up. I lost all of my baby teeth here (some due to rough-housing of course). I scored my first hole-in-one at mini-golf here. I ate my first delectable potato pancake here. I had my first car accident here. I've worked with the public for the past five years and have made numerous friendships with our clientèle (see, I can even properly use a FRENCH word---couldn't possibly be a product of a Luzerne County public high school, could I?) I had my first kiss here. I was baptized and confirmed here, and God willing I'd be married here too except for the fact that eventually PA will be the ONLY Democratic Northeastern state not to offer some sort of same-sex legalization.

This area's not NEARLY as bad as you portrayed it. As the influx of transplants from NY/NJ continues I can only foresee better things coming in terms of more diversity, more social understanding and tolerance of minorities, new business enterprises, growth, and opportunity. I'm just young and want to see the "REAL" world while I can still enjoy it, since I've rarely ever left the Wyoming Valley due to financial constraints.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 AM

937 posts, read 2,891,501 times
Gosh, I grew up in NY.. I am a city gal but love living in PA. Fresh air, friendly people, beautiful mountains, etc. You are entitled to your opinion, it is only an opinion. You must be happy there in Hawaii, aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania