Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Mall of America and KOP malls are also in much more populated areas, and those malls are so large they are tourist attractions, not to mention the Mall of America has other attractions like an amusement park....the Steamtown Mall is just a small, run of the mill small-town mall built only a few miles from an existing mall. A city the size of Scranton and its surrounding towns just doesn't have the population to support 2 malls.

They should just close half of the shopping area in the Steamtown Mall and try to bring in Dave and Buster's.

Dave and Busters Yeah baby that is what I am talking about!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Mall of America and KOP malls are also in much more populated areas, and those malls are so large they are tourist attractions, not to mention the Mall of America has other attractions like an amusement park....the Steamtown Mall is just a small, run of the mill small-town mall built only a few miles from an existing mall. A city the size of Scranton and its surrounding towns just doesn't have the population to support 2 malls.

They should just close half of the shopping area in the Steamtown Mall and try to bring in Dave and Buster's.
I don't disagree, although I think it was believed at the time Steamtown National Historic site would be a bigger tourist draw than it actually is.

My points in my comment is that at the time the Mall at Steamtown was opened, it wasn't part of a dying breed or was built with shortsightedness.

Upscale outdoor shopping centers were not on the radar in this part of the country in the 80's and 90's. Many indoor malls, large and small were built before, during, and after Steamtown was built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Dave and Busters Yeah baby that is what I am talking about!
I agree to an extent. When we go to Philly, on the way home, we sometimes stop at Dave and Busters at the Plymouth Meeting Mall to eat and let the kids burn off some steam. The mall is always empty, and Dave and Busters has never been crowded while we have been there. As a side note, for those of you with kids, try stopping at Ikea to eat on your way home, reasonably priced food, with kid friendly seating and they have a huge play center you can drop the kids off at while you shop.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I don't disagree, although I think it was believed at the time Steamtown National Historic site would be a bigger tourist draw than it actually is.

My points in my comment is that at the time the Mall at Steamtown was opened, it wasn't part of a dying breed or was built with shortsightedness.

Upscale outdoor shopping centers were not on the radar in this part of the country in the 80's and 90's. Many indoor malls, large and small were built before, during, and after Steamtown was built.

I agree to an extent. When we go to Philly, on the way home, we sometimes stop at Dave and Busters at the Plymouth Meeting Mall to eat and let the kids burn off some steam. The mall is always empty, and Dave and Busters has never been crowded while we have been there. As a side note, for those of you with kids, try stopping at Ikea to eat on your way home, reasonably priced food, with kid friendly seating and they have a huge play center you can drop the kids off at while you shop.
I love Ikea and miss it so much, it was a hike for us back on LI but worth the trip. Thanks for reminding me where D&B is in Philly I am there everyother week for medical treatment and now with summer lil man and friends will be coming and it will be a great treat for them.

The mall situation, I have a personal bias, I simply dislike malls immensely and hate the fact that most of America is starting to look the same. The one thing about me that always made me different from many of my suburbia friends, never liked hanging out in the mall. Give me a parking lot with a bunch of dudes and some nice mid 60 cars and I was in heaven!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I love Ikea and miss it so much, it was a hike for us back on LI but worth the trip. Thanks for reminding me where D&B is in Philly I am there everyother week for medical treatment and now with summer lil man and friends will be coming and it will be a great treat for them.

The mall situation, I have a personal bias, I simply dislike malls immensely and hate the fact that most of America is starting to look the same. The one thing about me that always made me different from many of my suburbia friends, never liked hanging out in the mall. Give me a parking lot with a bunch of dudes and some nice mid 60 cars and I was in heaven!
If you have been to the Dave and Busters on the waterfront in Philly, you will be a bit disappointed by the one in Plymouth Meeting, it is probably half the size. Although Ikea in Conshy and Dave and Busters in Plymouth Meeting, are only a few miles away from each other.

I could take or leave malls, I don't like shopping much, so I never went to any with great frequency.

If you want a treat for your son....
A few miles north of King of Prussia on Rt.422 is a super place for kids. Although it can get pricey, they do include a free food buffet and I have seen half price specials for it on groupon. We have been there twice and my kids love it.
Arnold's Family Fun Center
^^^ I think something like this would be a draw for the mall, instead of D&B. We have plenty of bars, but not much for kids.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
If you have been to the Dave and Busters on the waterfront in Philly, you will be a bit disappointed by the one in Plymouth Meeting, it is probably half the size. Although Ikea in Conshy and Dave and Busters in Plymouth Meeting, are only a few miles away from each other.

I could take or leave malls, I don't like shopping much, so I never went to any with great frequency.

If you want a treat for your son....
A few miles north of King of Prussia on Rt.422 is a super place for kids. Although it can get pricey, they do include a free food buffet and I have seen half price specials for it on groupon. We have been there twice and my kids love it.
Arnold's Family Fun Center
^^^ I think something like this would be a draw for the mall, instead of D&B. We have plenty of bars, but not much for kids.
Oh I am so "crs" it was the one on the waterfront. Ty so much for the suggestion I have to go on the 14th and he and his buddy will love this place! Ty

Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
The Mall at Steamtown; Scranton, Pennsylvania | Labelscar: The Retail History Blog

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, if not, enjoy

Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Long before the mall, I used to visit some of the XXX dirty book stores on Lackawanna. As a young gay man these were great places to meet so-called "straight" guys who wouldn't be caught dead in a gay bar.

Okay, I'm sure many if not most of you are going to think this is a total "perv" post, but I'm just stating some facts of historical interest. It was before the outbreak of AIDS, and there weren't many places in Scranton a gay guy could 'hook up' with other guys.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 AM

I had read an article somewhere about Lackawanna Ave and its old go-go bar days, wow! It was very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania