Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,970,204 times

Advertisements

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA! WNEP just had its top story profiling a detour in Abington Township around a bridge that is being replaced by PennDOT along Route 407 between Clarks Green and Waverly. A number of people in Lexuses, BMWs, etc. were observed trying to make an illegal "short cut" past several "DO NOT ENTER" signs on a restricted side street only to be stopped at the end of their wayward wrong-way jaunt by a Waverly police officer who expediently wrote them tickets. WNEP showed one elderly snob arguing with the police officer who proceeded to yell at him to "go home." The elderly man reciprocated with profanity. All of this ruckus and chaos arose over a mere TWO-MINUTE detour!

Apparently people in Waverly have money, but the brains didn't accompany them. Then there's those of us with brains who earn $15,000 per year. Capitalism at its finest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,003,360 times
Can't get in the way of those Abingtonites and their tea and crumpets or golf game at the country club....

Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Can't get in the way of those Abingtonites and their tea and crumpets or golf game at the country club....
Seriously. I hate to stereotype as I'm a hypocrite for doing so, but WNEP even stated it was a TWO-MINUTE DETOUR! Was that really worth what may have been a $100+ ticket? Was that really worth screaming profanities at a police officer? Was that really worth irking a woman they interviewed whose subdivision full of children was becoming a race track? For God's sake I'm constantly busy with classes, work, meetings/appointments, etc., yet I'd never dream of driving the wrong way down a side street and forcing everyone else to "make way for me!!!"

Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 PM

I wonder if the people of Waverly went to the same driving school that these folks in Denver went to?

YouTube - Multi-Car Crash Snow Slide on Ice

Old 09-10-2008, 05:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,341,489 times
LOL.... that's when you use the brakes as little as possible. If you start going wrong way, "steer" the car where you want to go and feather the gas lightly.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:50 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,718,420 times
Paul, I've seen people everywhere, not just in the Abingtons, with the "it doesn't mean me" attitude. They ignore signs, try to go the wrong way, go where they're not supopsed to, park where they're not supposed to park - all to save a minute or two of travel time. Unfortunately, it's just the way some people are. I haven't been watching the news much lately, but I did catch that story last night. I hope that police officer gets a pay upgrade or promotion for putting up with that old man.

Another issue they didn't address on the news is that I'll bet once people are around the detour, they go faster to make up for the time they think they lost.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,802,658 times
Depending on how much money you have...sometimes rules don't apply to you.
And that is the TRUTH!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM

923 posts, read 3,106,762 times
Yep, its the "do you know who I am ??" syndrome. You get it after you made your first million, or if daddy left it to you !!!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Paul, I've seen people everywhere, not just in the Abingtons, with the "it doesn't mean me" attitude. They ignore signs, try to go the wrong way, go where they're not supopsed to, park where they're not supposed to park - all to save a minute or two of travel time. Unfortunately, it's just the way some people are. I haven't been watching the news much lately, but I did catch that story last night. I hope that police officer gets a pay upgrade or promotion for putting up with that old man.

Another issue they didn't address on the news is that I'll bet once people are around the detour, they go faster to make up for the time they think they lost.
Dawn, very good points...........I experienced it when I put a road block across malfunctioning gates at a Railroad Crossing in Chappaqua, NY (yes home to Hillary and Bill). Same mentality, people think because they have money they are held under a different set of rules. That is why people in the mental health fields will always have work: "It's called the entitlement Issue" and cuts across all generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania