Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM

128 posts, read 356,317 times

Advertisements

The topic says it all. Put whatever outlandish and wild ideas you have here for NEPA

Here's mine: a rail transit line running from Nanticoke to Carbondale. That would cover pretty much all of the valley. It could stop roughly as follows:

Nanticoke--Plymouth--W-B South--W-B Center--W-B West (Kingston)--
Kingston--Forty Fort--Wyoming--Exeter--West Pittston--Pittston--
Dupont--Airport--Moosic--Montage--Minooka--South Side--
Scranton Downtown--Scranton Hospitals--Throop--Olyphant--
Jessup--Archbald--Jermyn--Carbondale

Possible extensions include:
-extensions to Forest City and/or Waymart
-spur running to Dickson City, South Abington, Clarks Summit, Dalton
-spur running to Dallas
-spur running thru Old Forge and Duryea

Naturally there could be express trains too that would zip between places like W-B and Scranton. Some parts could be underground and parts above ground. Some places would obviously have multiple stops at locations where services are located.

Okay, so that's it. No need to flame...I already know this will never happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
I would love to see CenterPoint here in the Pittstons started anew. In its rebirth it would parallel the Triangle Research Park in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill area in North Carolina. With thousands of positions available for aerospace engineers, software developers, pharmaceutical sales representatives, biochemists, ACCOUNTANTS!!!, etc., our region would FINALLY be able to ebb our "Brain Drain" and retain some of our fresh college graduates. Not all of us wish to relocate to NJ/NYC/Philadelphia for employment, and this would be a great boon to our region.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-01-2008 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,974,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I would love to see CenterPoint here in the Pittstons started anew. In its rebirth it would parallel the Triangle Research Park in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill area in North Carolina. With thousands of positions available for aerospace engineers, software developers, pharmaceutical sales representatives, biochemists, ACCOUNTANTS!!!, etc., our region would FINALLY be able to ebb our "Brain Drain" and retain some of our fresh college graduates. Not all of us wish to relocate to NJ/NYC/Philadelphia for employment, and this would be a great boon to our region.

I agree...but the most we're going to see are more warehouses with $10/hour jobs....

I think the Triangle benefits from having UNC, NC State, Duke, and other major universities in the area. NE PA may have a good number of colleges for the size of the area, but Wilkes, Kings, Da U, and Marywood aren't competing with the schools in the Triangle by a long shot.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM

703 posts, read 1,548,312 times
We'd need a billion dollars in federal earmarks for that.

That seems like a lot until you realize we literally spend that in 3 days in Iraq. If there's one thing I don't mind spending money on, it's maintaining our infrastructure and improving mass-transit. Amtrak sucks. It's painfully slow compared to train service in Europe, and expensive as hell. Other than a powerful auto industry lobby (of which the Big Three and the auto-unions are complicit), there's no reason an area as developed as the Northeast US should have such shoddy train service.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 AM

182 posts, read 451,207 times
An indoor fully "green-eco friendly" golf course open year around. Humm I wonder if that would be dangerous "fore"? What happens if golf balls just start ricocheting everywhere? Ok even I have to mess up my own fantasy.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:36 AM

128 posts, read 356,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
An indoor fully "green-eco friendly" golf course open year around. Humm I wonder if that would be dangerous "fore"? What happens if golf balls just start ricocheting everywhere? Ok even I have to mess up my own fantasy.
I would be surprised if the Japanese don't already have something like this. Keep in mind they're the same people who brought us indoor skiing.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,636,755 times
Quote:
Indoor Golf - Better than Par for the Course

Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM

923 posts, read 3,097,009 times
Quote:
Okay, hang up your balls, that ain't goin ta happen !!!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,106,582 times
City Hall falling into a mine during business hours.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 50,200 times
Thumbs up Ya RIGHT...

... If ya put a Bar at each end of the rail line! Then it will work or wait we already have bars on every corner and funeral homes in the middle. Hey the first 3 letters of Funeral are "FUN"...what gives?

Here's a better one "Me" shredding every Golf Course with my Quadzilla MXer 500 quad!... I know you'll bust me on that one... OK just kidding golf is cool!

How about reopen Rocky Glen, Luna and San Souci run the train to them!

Level the Shopping Malls and build Wind & Solar Farms?

Fix the bridges on RT 80 & 81 for good?

Help our poor people

Stop blowing your horns and flipping the bird at bicyclists when they are riding. They are saving fuel and being healthy also! Give'em a break, unless they are the dumbasses who ride WAY out in the LANE...Hit them!

Everyone gives me a dollar and I will help the poor people

Ok gotta ride now more later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania