Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I looked at a house in West Side last night! WE fell in love with it and think it is perfect for the three of us. I think/hope we will be putting a bid in on it today/tomorrow!? Here comes my elementary school questions, how many are there in West side...what are the teacher to student ratios if anyone knows.

Wish us luck...please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Hubby and I looked at a house in West Side last night! WE fell in love with it and think it is perfect for the three of us. I think/hope we will be putting a bid in on it today/tomorrow!? Here comes my elementary school questions, how many are there in West side...what are the teacher to student ratios if anyone knows.

Wish us luck...please....
There's currently 4 elementary schools in West Side. Frances Willard, which is on Eynon St near the Gerrity's on S. Main Ave., serves the area approximately from the city line at Taylor north to Luzerne St. Lincoln-Jackson serves the area from Luzerne St. to Jackson St., Charles Sumner, which is on the corner of N Sumner Ave and Swetland St, serves Jackson St north to Pettebone St, and John Marshall, which is on Oram St serves the area from Pettebone St to Tripp Park. Willard, Sumner, and Marshall are very good schools....any of them would be fine. Lincoln-Jackson is not very highly regarded, but its mostly due to inadequate facilities...the school is kind of run-down and its overcrowded. However, there will be a new elementary school built in Tripp Park, and after that, Marshall will close and those kids will go to the new school, and Lincoln-Jackson will close and those kids will be split between the new school and Willard.

Student to teacher ratios: Sumner, Lincoln-Jackson, Marshall are all 15:1; and Willard is 18:1.

Like I said, any of those schools are a good choice, except for Lincoln-Jackson, which will be a moot point when the school closes and those kids either attend Willard or the new school.

Wish you all the luck in the world with the house, and hopefully, welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM

109 posts, read 366,892 times
Regarding Lincoln Jackson, you are right it is certainly not the ideal school. My niece is in the kindergarten class there, and the ratio is about 26:1. Something to think about. Not sure where the house is that you looked at, but check with the realtor about the school. I know my sister is looking into private school, b/c my niece is just a number in the class, and you really can't blame the teacher, she is doing the best she can with so many students. best wishes in your search.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvysmom View Post
Regarding Lincoln Jackson, you are right it is certainly not the ideal school. My niece is in the kindergarten class there, and the ratio is about 26:1. Something to think about. Not sure where the house is that you looked at, but check with the realtor about the school. I know my sister is looking into private school, b/c my niece is just a number in the class, and you really can't blame the teacher, she is doing the best she can with so many students. best wishes in your search.
Wow....that's terrible. My child is at Sumner and its been a great experience. The teacher is wonderful, and although there are maybe 22 kids in the class, the teacher has an aide, so its not so bad.

Even if her home is in the Lincoln-Jackson boundary, boundary exceptions are easy enough to get to go to one of the other schools, and also, if it is in Lincoln-Jackson's boundary, her kids would eventually go to either Willard or the new school anyways.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
From your description it sounds as if lil'man would be attending Willard. The home is up the block from Tom's Auto Sales. It is a pretty area IMHO! Thanks for info and your positive thoughts! We will be keeping our fingers crossed!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
From your description it sounds as if lil'man would be attending Willard. The home is up the block from Tom's Auto Sales. It is a pretty area IMHO! Thanks for info and your positive thoughts! We will be keeping our fingers crossed!
Yes that is in Willard's boundary. Its a very good school. Our son attended 3-year-old preschool there.

Another positive to that location is that you're also very close to the intermediate school and high school.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:41 PM

203 posts, read 577,326 times
From your description, we'll be neighbors. Willard is in your boundry.
Yes it is a very lovely area, if I may say so myself.

MrKrabs, when did your son go to PK? My youngest was in last year. She loved it & still does in 4yo PK. Maybe they knew eachother.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,682 times
Anyone send their children to Wyoming Seminary?

I was myself a product of Scranton-area public schools (K-12) and at this point I seriously question some of the lost opportunities I had as a result. Sure, almost every school (except say, Old Forge or Carbondale) sends their top kids to good colleges. But let's face it, most of these schools serve middle and lower income families, and the environment in these schools seems to reflect that. Even among the "top" sections, the atmosphere in these schools isn't very conducive to learning.

There was a study done on education where researchers found that lower income schools teach children how to stay out of trouble, middle income schools teach children how to follow the rules, and upper income schools teach children how to lead. The latter is what I want for my children, not a school where the environment is anathema to learning.

Cost is the only issue. Spending over $100,000 for K-12 education seems a little excessive to get a few more opportunities, better teachers, better selection of classes, and a better learning environment. But it's sad to say that that seems to be the price you have to pay to get a leg up these days. Now, I'm not saying you can't go anywhere from Scranton-area public schools, it's just that much harder if you do.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Yes that is in Willard's boundary. Its a very good school. Our son attended 3-year-old preschool there.

Another positive to that location is that you're also very close to the intermediate school and high school.

Good luck!

just wondering--what areas of west side should i avoid living in--am looking at homes on eynon st.and n.rebecca ave?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 PM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,804 times
Commish, my niece and nephew went to Wyoming Seminary and loved it. My own daughter went to Scranton High and loved that school. We had the same misgivings you're having now,wondering if we were doing the best we could for her.She's on the Dean's list in college now and last week she told me that she wants to send a thank you card to several teachers at Scranton. And it didn't cost me $50,000. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania