Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Eats A Lot View Post
I don't think some of you understand the point of this thread. Someone asked for opinions from transplants, I am a transplant, I gave my opinion, and there's been about half a dozen responses saying "Aw quit yer bellyachin', if you don't like it you should just move." I know most of you who responded with posts like that have lived here since the 50's, and have nothing but fond memories and nostalgia for this area, because your love of this place certainly isn't based on the economic opportunities or low prices. But those of us who have lived elsewhere, and are used to no city or school taxes, lower gas and food costs, better restaurants, nightlife, culture, and more jobs that pay good wages don't find this area so endearing.
Instead of personal attacks, why don't you give some of the reasons why you like living here, I'd be glad to hear them as well.
Well, Sir, I came to NEPA having lived in Philadelphia, PA; Alexandria, VA; Washington, D.C. and Bucks County, PA - All of which are metropolitan areas or have quick access to same.

There are a lot of us - people who have "lived elsewhere" and are well aware that conditions are not the same here as they are in other places.

My late Hubs and I, and our now-grown children, all five of them, have always had jobs that paid a living, livable wage with benefits.

There is less crime than other places I have lived. Sure, there is crime but the percentages are lower. A traffic jam is when the guy ahead of you fails to make it through the light and you have to wait for a second green.

There are so many grocery stores in my area - none of them more than 20 minutes away and not counting convenient marts - that you can shop each store's weekly specials and not blow your food budget.

There are parks and public pools. There are ski slopes for the snow-loving people. There are community theater groups, some of whom put on a reasonable entertainment featuring local writers, directors, performers. Visit Rickett's Glen and hike the waterfalls.

Colleges all over the place. Ethnic festivals. Craft beer makers. Local wines. Farmer's markets offering locally grown produce. A couple of over-priced water parks if you're so inclined. There may well be a lack of the type of restaurants you prefer but there are places to eat. Better yet, take a cooking class and learn to make those chi-chi fa-fa dishes yourself.

Shopping at the Crossings, while it isn't something that excites me but there are tons of places to shop for just about anything you could need.

Actually, if I would complain about anything, top of the list would be public transportation. Oh, yes, and PennDot for the condition of the roads.

I would ask where the places are that have no city or school taxes. Some entity must fund them so I'd be interested to know.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:59 AM

232 posts, read 278,648 times
For good and bad i call poconos home since 2011 even many times i feel like get out being in my late 20s single guy ,( on this forum requested couple different places). After efforts to blend in area i found myself to make it work in those mountains. Here live is about simplicity can't look on it metropolitan area way even with all future projects never will .For those who want adjust there is always something to do .Not sophisticated as north jersey or nyc but still is . Being around family and proximity to nature nonetheless important too.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:13 PM

67 posts, read 132,618 times
I agree with you on your view of NEPA. I visited the area last fall to see if I would like to relocate the family there. No Way. The price of houses is outrageous compared to the Midwest, for example. The roads, buildings and houses are in need of repair. There is a lack of restaurants and of other stores. I hear from locals that the medical care is not very good either, especially for a heart patient like my husband. City and property taxes are also high in NEPA. I do not live on the East coast, so I am comparing it to the Midwest. Grass is not greener on the other side.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 PM

151 posts, read 147,715 times
Lucy, there are tons of stores and restaurants so what part of Nepa were you in? Roads are awful, weather is awful, jobs aren't good or plentiful. If you think real estate is high here the Midwest must he dirt cheap. You should see the prices in Md, Philly, DC, NJ Ny etc.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:40 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
You should see the prices in Md, Philly, DC, NJ Ny etc.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I couldn't buy a condo apartment in the Bronx (where we came from) for what we paid for our house.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
I agree with you on your view of NEPA. I visited the area last fall to see if I would like to relocate the family there. No Way. The price of houses is outrageous compared to the Midwest, for example. The roads, buildings and houses are in need of repair. There is a lack of restaurants and of other stores. I hear from locals that the medical care is not very good either, especially for a heart patient like my husband. City and property taxes are also high in NEPA. I do not live on the East coast, so I am comparing it to the Midwest. Grass is not greener on the other side.
LOL Cheapest cost of living I have seen is around these here parts, If you can find it cheaper I am not sure what I am going to find and I'm not sure I want to.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:44 PM

151 posts, read 147,715 times
Chef, I guess if the poster was referring to Clarks Summit, Waverly etc those are expensive relatively speaking.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:16 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Chef, I guess if the poster was referring to Clarks Summit, Waverly etc those are expensive relatively speaking.
There's a house for sale in Laflin for $299,000 and change. That's expensive for the area.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 PM

19 posts, read 16,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's a house for sale in Laflin for $299,000 and change. That's expensive for the area.
There are a couple in the 600k range right around the corner in the greater pittston area. The taxes are 1k a MONTH. Who in their right mind would want to invest that in an area that is in decline and eating its tail?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 PM

19 posts, read 16,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
I grew up in NePA and now live in fly over country. The schools are poorly performing in NePA as well, compared to where I live and most places. The roads here are very good and you can drive for hours and never experience road rage. Try that in NePA. No state inspection sticker needed, no high school taxes or teacher unions who only care about themselves. Many parts of the midwest and south are booming. Auto makers are building new plants. Mazda and Toyota are building a huge plant in AL.

The mentality of those of us who grew up in NePA is there is only here, or at least that is the way I thought at one time in my youth. Many there still do. There's a big friendly world out there that's never heard of NePA and its issues; and they certainly don't want that attitude migrating to their areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania