Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:06 PM

5,316 posts, read 6,286,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabryan View Post
Thanks everyone. Are all the mentioned areas safe? Yes, a garage would be ideal :-) I will forward all the info to my nephew along with the link so he can stay updated in case anyone posts any new info. Really appreciate the help!

Not sure how accurate the linked crime map is but there are sections of Wilkes-Barre where crime is above average but not on par with your bigger urban areas. WB used to be a very safe city but the demographics have changed in the last 30 years with the spillover from greater NYC and Philly.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
The west side communities will be safer and the back mountain region the safest but most expensive.

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2018 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 10,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Not sure how accurate the linked crime map is but there are sections of Wilkes-Barre where crime is above average but not on par with your bigger urban areas. WB used to be a very safe city but the demographics have changed in the last 30 years with the spillover from greater NYC and Philly.

The west side communities will be safer and the back mountain region the safest but most expensive.
Thanks Wells5. I've forwarded the links and info to my nephew. Appreciate all the info.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:00 PM

33,109 posts, read 36,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

That map is a bit deceiving. My mother lived in a light blue area for years and never had any problems with crime.

I don't think the Back Mountain area is a good idea. Rt. 309 from Luzerne to Dallas can be a traffic nightmare. Also, the area between Luzerne and Trucksville can be icy in the winter.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:34 PM

13 posts, read 10,568 times
Once again, thanks everyone. Love the helpfulness of this site.

Another question about areas: any feedback on the Wyoming, Pittston, Avoca, Moosic, Old Forge areas? Seems like nicer rental properties in those areas but not sure about neighborhoods and commute, especially during the winter.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM

5,316 posts, read 6,286,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabryan View Post
Once again, thanks everyone. Love the helpfulness of this site.

Another question about areas: any feedback on the Wyoming, Pittston, Avoca, Moosic, Old Forge areas? Seems like nicer rental properties in those areas but not sure about neighborhoods and commute, especially during the winter.

Avoca, Moosic and Old Forge are suburbs of Scranton. Commute time will be about 45 minutes on a good day. Downtowns are shabby. Old Forge is best known for pizza. Pittston has undergone a revival but West Pittston across the river is a better location. Wyoming is OK but next door Forty-Fort is better. I neglected to mention Forty-Fort before because it's a little more upscale than the other west side communities (Kingston excepted) and rentals are a bit more expensive.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,922,689 times
Forty Fort is nice and you can hop on the 309 expressway near there and be to the VA in no time. Don't bother with any area north of that, you'll regret the traffic and south of Forty Fort can also be very traffic heavy. The only way to get to the VA would be either down Market and across the bridge through Wilkes Barre or through Forty Fort to the 309 expressway. You could also do areas like Ashley or Nanticoke which are easily accessible off of 29 which connects easily to 81. Only risk there being that 81 can back up during road work or an accident. That's the same reason I would say avoid going North to live because the only road getting you to the VA is 81 from there and all bets are off that you will always have an easy ride. Plus that whole area is geographically locked by the Susquehanna river on the West and 81 to the East. Just a traffic nightmare getting in and out of that section everyday.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:31 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,121,045 times
parts of old forge,moosic and minooka are fine and 315 and 11 are decent alternates routes---used it myself when i worked at va traffic not so bad but then heavy traffic for me was what i encountered in orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania