Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Haven't against the S.A. and I know their efforts help many but often the benefits go into the big machine. That may be where I end up, but I was hoping to find a charity that kept everything local. I will look up Catholic Charties and take a photo - great suggestions.
whoa...Catholic Charities...and you are making reference to 'the big machine'?

have you ever heard the term 'The Catholic Enterprise?'
because that it what it really is...

they are facing dwindling membership for a lot of reasons. one big one..(wayward Priests)
The Catholic Church is cutting corners, closing down Parishes in an effort to survive..

paying off all the victims of those Randy Priests ( and Nuns) can be costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The Salvation Army does fine things for people in need. They have a church with services like any other. They have a program to rehab alcoholics/drug dependents. When used items (and clothing) are donated, they pay the sorters and taggers a salary; generally down-on-their luck people who may otherwise be unemployable. The stores are staffed by paid employees, thus making jobs for people. The items they offer are generally priced well (although not always) so low income people can afford them. The money the SA makes in their stores goes to fund their many humanitarian projects.

Sally's seem to actually help many more people than we imagine.
Amen my sistah...and props!
gonna have my esposas Sally cousins beat that drum and ring that bell during the Holidays a little longer and harder for my friend and Nepa 'Sistah' Theater Gypsy.!

Old 09-26-2016, 05:24 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Haven't against the S.A. and I know their efforts help many but often the benefits go into the big machine. That may be where I end up, but I was hoping to find a charity that kept everything local. I will look up Catholic Charties and take a photo - great suggestions.
I tried to give them one 12,000 btu air conditioner today; but they were not biting. They took our clothing; but not the air conditioner - that ended up at the dump. There was nothing wrong with the AC other than it needed a new remote. But, because they get rust inside; my wife worries with her asthma. I think most of these places are fussier than they were years ago.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
Donating to a charity other than the Salvation Army is just my preference theaterg.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:19 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Donating to a charity other than the Salvation Army is just my preference theaterg.
My post was simply informational, noting a church that usually collects used clothing, which is what I believe you requested. If you have anything really nice in a 12 petite, please let me know which church gets your donation.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Maybe this is what she meant.

St. Vincent de Paul Soup Kitchen

Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Maybe this is what she meant.

St. Vincent de Paul Soup Kitchen

Good thought, G, but since the OP specifically asked for a church in "My Pocono area", I don't think Wilkes-Barre will cut it.

I do think however, that feeding and clothing go hand in hand and sadly, the strongly-felt need is being filled by the soup kitchen here in our Wyoming Valley.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Good thought, G, but since the OP specifically asked for a church in "My Pocono area", I don't think Wilkes-Barre will cut it.

I do think however, that feeding and clothing go hand in hand and sadly, the strongly-felt need is being filled by the soup kitchen here in our Wyoming Valley.
Back in the 1950s/60s I remember my grandmother always giving to the church. My grandparents owned a hotel and my grandmother was always giving food, clothing or money to the church that was only one hundred yards away. But, back then, it seemed as if everybody knew who was 'needy' and was quick to donate exactly what was needed at the time it was needed.

Today it seems more complicated and the funds do not always go to those that need them. Yesterday we got a parcel pickup notice in our mailbox; so I ran over to pickup whatever it was. It was one of these 'free gifts' from one of the veteran's charities. Now they already have us angry because they caused me to waste my time picking it up, I did not ask for it, if they have money to waste on junk why are they bothering me, of course the free calculator did not work!

I personally feel that no charity should even exist if the bulk of the collected funds do not go to the individuals that they collect for. I would rather keep my money than to support more bureaucracy.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 AM

I got that same package Fisheye...calculator is huge with big numbers...alas, mine didnt work either.
For charitable Military donations, I give to the Vietnam Vets..they have a pretty good rep.

http://vva96.org/images/VVA_logo.gif

Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I got that same package Fisheye...calculator is huge with big numbers...alas, mine didnt work either.
For charitable Military donations, I give to the Vietnam Vets..they have a pretty good rep.

http://vva96.org/images/VVA_logo.gif
Thanks! If I recall last year this group, with the calculator, sent me something about returning their junk or sending money weeks after they sent the package. I have really grown tired of these places that send us something and want our money in return - they can keep their junk/nickels/address stickers/post cards and checks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania