Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 AM

15 posts, read 50,697 times

Advertisements

When you head anywhere to visit, what do you look for? Lodging, FOOD, and then entertainment. So we have a couple of great hotels, we have beaucoup art galleries and six billion bars, but where can one eat? Who can pull dollars away from the chains? In my estimation here are six newer places that draw people to the city.
The Sambuca Grill on the 2oo block of Penn Avenue. Dim, intimate, and a different menu. Best damn Caeser salads in the city (MCF super taster certified). Yugoslavians doing Italian in an Irish City? Yup, love it.

Vida The Tapas bar. Chic, metro, and one of a kind. Phil Reinhardt is the owner and he is as eclectic as the place. He also features local artists on a rotating basis. Great guy who welcomes everyone. The place feels like home and this is the place that blew away the cast and crew of The Office who rolled in 50 deep with Timmy Holmes and left saying “We can’t ever shoot in Scranton; it is too nice.” Check it out on the 1 of North Washington.

Thai Rak Thai on corner of Mulberry and Adams is my mix it up place. Can’t do it all the time because the drunken noodles light my belly on fire but I must make the sacrifice often as they are too good to resist. For birthday dinners they drop a disco ball from the ceiling and bang on some silverware to make a great scene, a lot of energy (A Costanzo favorite).

Blues Street Cafe on the 2 of Wyoming in the Ritz is truly a one of a kind menu with a southern flair. Never had a pork crepe before and now I am hooked. It is non smoking and not to be missed when Clarence Spady is on stage. Open Friday and Saturday.

The Martini Grill. Very light menu but this place offers the best ambience and view in the City. 400 block of Spruce and sit in the front window on the second floor. The hustle and bustle on Spruce street below and Courthouse Square are perfect from this perch.
Faccia Luna is just a few blocks out of what traditionalists would consider downtown but it is a draw. Amazing facility in a former bank building (Hey, Marisa Bev, can you say reZONED?) and a fantastic menu. Specialty pizza out of an old school oven.

Did I miss any? How could anyone ever subject themselves to TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, yada yada yada?

Source: ECR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,106,083 times
Pappas, Farleys, Abe's, Mothers table, Coney Island I & II, Ground Round, Banshee, Traxx, Carmen's, Casey's corner, Trolley's, PJ's pub, Whistles, Osaka, Brixx, Caferazzi, Scanlons, Molly Branigans, La Trattoria which is closer to the downtown the Faccia Luna. But they weren't all funded by OECD and pushed by the times, oops sorry I meant Electric City so I guess they might not have made the list. Thanks for the updates.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,664,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scranton2007 View Post
When you head anywhere to visit, what do you look for? Lodging, FOOD, and then entertainment. So we have a couple of great hotels, we have beaucoup art galleries and six billion bars, but where can one eat? Who can pull dollars away from the chains? In my estimation here are six newer places that draw people to the city.
The Sambuca Grill on the 2oo block of Penn Avenue. Dim, intimate, and a different menu. Best damn Caeser salads in the city (MCF super taster certified). Yugoslavians doing Italian in an Irish City? Yup, love it.

Vida The Tapas bar. Chic, metro, and one of a kind. Phil Reinhardt is the owner and he is as eclectic as the place. He also features local artists on a rotating basis. Great guy who welcomes everyone. The place feels like home and this is the place that blew away the cast and crew of The Office who rolled in 50 deep with Timmy Holmes and left saying “We can’t ever shoot in Scranton; it is too nice.” Check it out on the 1 of North Washington.

Thai Rak Thai on corner of Mulberry and Adams is my mix it up place. Can’t do it all the time because the drunken noodles light my belly on fire but I must make the sacrifice often as they are too good to resist. For birthday dinners they drop a disco ball from the ceiling and bang on some silverware to make a great scene, a lot of energy (A Costanzo favorite).

Blues Street Cafe on the 2 of Wyoming in the Ritz is truly a one of a kind menu with a southern flair. Never had a pork crepe before and now I am hooked. It is non smoking and not to be missed when Clarence Spady is on stage. Open Friday and Saturday.

The Martini Grill. Very light menu but this place offers the best ambience and view in the City. 400 block of Spruce and sit in the front window on the second floor. The hustle and bustle on Spruce street below and Courthouse Square are perfect from this perch.
Faccia Luna is just a few blocks out of what traditionalists would consider downtown but it is a draw. Amazing facility in a former bank building (Hey, Marisa Bev, can you say reZONED?) and a fantastic menu. Specialty pizza out of an old school oven.

Did I miss any? How could anyone ever subject themselves to TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, yada yada yada?

Source: ECR
I like Olive Garden. Out of all the chain restaurants, they're the most authentic Italian place I know. TGIF is OK too, sometimes.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,773,090 times
Scranton2007...I was going to compliment you on your writing style...till I noticed the source. Are you one in the same?
Anyway...loved the write up of these resataurants, makes you want to try one each week.
I love the Olive Garden too.

Speaking of food...someone suggested a place with good home made pierogis. Where was it again??
I have written down on a scrap of paper...Rossis of Archbald...what goes on there? What kind of food?
Novacks?? What kind of food?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM

76 posts, read 261,210 times
Yes, Novkack's, you are right. Right off of Main Ave.
Novack's Food and Spirits "The Pierogi Bar": Contact Us
They have tons of traditional bar fare along with a slew of Polish staples like piggies and halushki and, of course, homemade pierogies.
They are also garnering attention for revamping more traditional Polish favorites (i.e. the "Polish Volcano").

Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
Ed, chain dining is fine in MODERATION, but I'm noticing more and more of my peers heading exclusively to Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, Johnny Rockets, etc. while eschewing the notion of patronizing small mom-and-pop operations. I'm fearful that my generation will herald the downfall of independent eateries as we know them once we mature into our middle-aged years.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 PM

I try to eat at the small neighborhood places as much as possible. Usually 2 or 3 times a week for lunch or breakfast.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM

23 posts, read 253,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Pappas, Farleys, Abe's, Mothers table, Coney Island I & II, Ground Round, Banshee, Traxx, Carmen's, Casey's corner, Trolley's, PJ's pub, Whistles, Osaka, Brixx, Caferazzi, Scanlons, Molly Branigans, La Trattoria which is closer to the downtown the Faccia Luna. But they weren't all funded by OECD and pushed by the times, oops sorry I meant Electric City so I guess they might not have made the list. Thanks for the updates.
Well the original poster stated that it was a list of newer places, so that would narrow your list down to what, Molly Branigans and PJ's pub? I know I've read the same type of softball restaurant review for Molly Branigans in the Electric City as I have for the other places mentioned, but I don't recall the Electric City pushing them in any other way (unless you're just referring to this post)

Also, and this is a genuine question as I have no idea what the answer is, did all those places receive some type of OECD funding that Molly Branigans and/or PJ's pub did not?

This post highlighted some downtown restaurants which are imho, with maybe a couple exceptions, infinately better and more interesting dining destinations that any of the places you've listed. Doherty deserves as much credit for the quality of these places as he does blame for a place like Tink's closing (or remodeling or whatever is going on there), which is basically none.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,664,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Ed, chain dining is fine in MODERATION, but I'm noticing more and more of my peers heading exclusively to Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, Johnny Rockets, etc. while eschewing the notion of patronizing small mom-and-pop operations. I'm fearful that my generation will herald the downfall of independent eateries as we know them once we mature into our middle-aged years.
Oh I def. agree Paul. Everything is fine in moderation. I like local places myself, but sometimes I can't resist Red Lobster, which is actually better than Cooper's in my opinion, TGIF or Ruby Tuesday. I can't stand Johnny Rockets though. A good place to eat here in Scranton is Victoria's on Main Ave. in West Scranton where Wendy's used to be. Nice atmosphere and good food. La Trattoria in South Side is a good place also. Love the fresh baked bread.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexcye View Post
Well the original poster stated that it was a list of newer places, so that would narrow your list down to what, Molly Branigans and PJ's pub? I know I've read the same type of softball restaurant review for Molly Branigans in the Electric City as I have for the other places mentioned, but I don't recall the Electric City pushing them in any other way (unless you're just referring to this post)

Also, and this is a genuine question as I have no idea what the answer is, did all those places receive some type of OECD funding that Molly Branigans and/or PJ's pub did not?

This post highlighted some downtown restaurants which are imho, with maybe a couple exceptions, infinately better and more interesting dining destinations that any of the places you've listed. Doherty deserves as much credit for the quality of these places as he does blame for a place like Tink's closing (or remodeling or whatever is going on there), which is basically none.
Welcome. Raki Thai is not that new been there well over a year and Blues Street has been in the downtown in one location or another for over 10 years. Glad to see a new poster fresh in the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania