Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times

Advertisements

I was just told that supposedly Scranton POWER! is looking to restore a gazebo in Nay Aug that was originally from Luna Park. Anybody know anything about this? This is the first I heard that a gazebo may have survived from the park. I tried the Scranton POWER! website, but no luck there, and the one email address I found came back undeliverable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 AM

That will help, Thanks!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Hmm, it still doesn't say which gazebo they are referring to. The one opposite the front side of the Everhart doesn't seem to be of an appropriate age; the use of metal supports in the roof columns makes me doubt a 1906-1916 build date. There is a pavillion style building behind that, all wood construction, that certainly seems to be off the correct vintage, maybe even the trolley stop that was once located in Luna, as the shape could dictate that use, but this is just a guess. As far as I know, that only leaves the 'main' gazebo near the pool complex, but I doubt this is a remainder of Luna. I think the best guess is that due to it's age (100 years would peg it at 1908) and it's general location, I think someone must have just assumed that section of Nay Aug contained Luna Park, and that only the gazebo survived. Barring any other information the people working on this project may have, I'm going to say that the Luna connection is false.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:07 PM

15 posts, read 50,678 times
It is the large one that is situated near the zoo. I suppose you could say it is in between the zoo and the water park.

Any why we are on the topic did anyone know that Nay Aug was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead - the designer of Central Park in N.Y.C.

..At least I assume this to be true. I once read it on his wikipedia article.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM

45 posts, read 132,506 times
actually it's a group called Leadership Lackawanna that is involved in the project. they are looking to restore the pavilion nearest the pool. as for the pavilion across from both CMC and the Everhart Museum, it is one of the original structures of the park. there were actually two pavilions opposite one another, one burned in the 60's or 70's. the rock foundation and pad still exist. Leadership Lackawanna is an offshoot of the Chamber of Commerce. as for the Luna connection, this area was once the major entrance into the park via a footbridge that spanned the gorge. from the viewing platforms around the gorge you can still see some of the suspension bridge cables.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
actually it's a group called Leadership Lackawanna that is involved in the project. they are looking to restore the pavilion nearest the pool. as for the pavilion across from both CMC and the Everhart Museum, it is one of the original structures of the park. there were actually two pavilions opposite one another, one burned in the 60's or 70's. the rock foundation and pad still exist. Leadership Lackawanna is an offshoot of the Chamber of Commerce. as for the Luna connection, this area was once the major entrance into the park via a footbridge that spanned the gorge. from the viewing platforms around the gorge you can still see some of the suspension bridge cables.
I should have updated. I started talking with LL but haven't got a response back after asking more questions, probably stumped them when I mentioned the Luna part.

You're way off on the location and the cables; the cables and some of the bases that you see were part of the 307 bridge, NOT the Luna footbridge. The footbridge was located more to the eastern side of the park, where the top of Gibson street would theoretically be. The archway was originally on the same elevation as the playground below Genesis, behind and a bit to the right of where the port-o-john is. Anchor points and the base of the stone support can still be found, and a support is still in place on the opposite side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania