Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 PM

9 posts, read 17,337 times

Advertisements

I came from NY almost 2 years ago, to honesdale. It was alright but too secluded for us and too far from my husbands job here in Scranton with our crappy car , we moved to Scranton rather suddenly, without knowing much and settled in Southside...it was fine for a while considering I don't go out much and my block isn't bad according to how bad I heard some others may be. Now I have really ghetto neighbors (duplex) and just don't want to deal with the crowd moving on the block and our lease is just about up. I have a friend who keeps making Wilkes Barre sound extremely dangerous, like I'm going to get shot or raped in my backyard during rush hour..is it that bad? I found a house I am in love with (rental) on S. Meade Street & would love and appreciate ANY input or any where I may look into. A bit of information...3 children, 1 in elementary, husband will either commute to Scranton or get a transfer to Wilkes and we have a dog (so knowledge of a dog park will be awesome!!!) I'm not rich, so I can not afford upscale (unfortunately), so my budget cutoff is $900.00. I just want to know if my family and I will be safe and if there is as much crime as my friend makes it out to be. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 PM

142 posts, read 362,684 times
You should find something nice in Kingston or Plains in your budget, and there is a dog park near there called Hollenback. The biggest problem I found looking for a rental in the area was how few people were pet friendly, even when I offered an additional 1000.00 deposit. Avoid Wilkes Barre proper unless it is in the Parsons section near the Mohegan is pretty decent.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:44 AM

151 posts, read 183,913 times
I think you should move back, somewhere, northeast of Interstate 380/81 in, say, the vicinity of the Viewmount Mall. Towns like: Dickson City, Throop, Dunmore, Eynon, Archibald, Jessup, Blakley, and Jermyn come to mind. None are as far away as Honesdale; but one heck of a lot better off than living in either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. (Which are the twin cities of doom!)

Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,765 times
How far down S Meade St. will you be? North of Northampton St you get pretty close to Sherman Hills and South of South St. gets really nice for a few blocks. So it depends on where you are in Wilkes Barre whether you will have a problem or not, I live in the Mayflower section and love it. There are certainly spots that are bad but you will find that in most cities, you just have to know where to avoid. I am sure you have already heard about Sherman Hills and yes, stay away from there. If you have other concerns I'll be happy to try and answer them either In the main forum or PM.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM

We decided not to go with the house on Meade Street. The realtor showing it seemed to get the bad bunches, as for all the houses she was listing were in the not so once parts of scranton and Wilkes.

I've been looking into Hanover Twp. It seems nice there, any feedback.

Thank you for the names of some other areas, I will be looking into them. I too am finding it very difficult to find places that accept a cat and dog. That's my biggest hurdle I'd say and rehoming them just isn't an option.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
..even when I offered an additional 1000.00 deposit.
I have dogs but if I had rentals I probably wouldn't allow pets. $1K is peanuts if the pet is urinating in the house especially if it's a cat.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:36 PM

I don't think that's right. Cats who aren't neutered while going spray, but responsible owners who fix their pets and train them suffer because of the irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania