Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM

43 posts, read 167,298 times

Advertisements

My parents live in Birch Hollow Estates in Effort and love it there. It's off of Jonas Road. The HOA dues are verrrry low. I think they only pay like $175 a year. It's a really nice neighborhood. They live on the top of the mountain and have great views of camelback. As far as the roads go in the neighborhood they are really great at plowing them. The problem they had with Brodheadsville was the horrible traffic at peak times of the day at the 115/209 intersection. They also really like it because it has easy access to everything (well, as "easy access" as you can get here I suppose) but still out of the way. It's worth looking at in my opinion anyways. I live in Dingmans Ferry so it feels like the city to me when I visit them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:35 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicajinpa View Post
My parents live in Birch Hollow Estates in Effort and love it there. It's off of Jonas Road. The HOA dues are verrrry low. I think they only pay like $175 a year. It's a really nice neighborhood. They live on the top of the mountain and have great views of camelback. As far as the roads go in the neighborhood they are really great at plowing them. The problem they had with Brodheadsville was the horrible traffic at peak times of the day at the 115/209 intersection. They also really like it because it has easy access to everything (well, as "easy access" as you can get here I suppose) but still out of the way. It's worth looking at in my opinion anyways. I live in Dingmans Ferry so it feels like the city to me when I visit them!
Brodheadsville traffic is not bad at all. At West End Fair time, yes.......avoid and take the back roads.
But, all the talk about traffic is so silly to me. Being here 4 years, I have not hardly ever been held up in traffic for more then a few minutes.
This is country, there is no city to be found in the Brodheadsville, Kunkletown area........nor in lower Effort.
Again, it is difficult to travel in those upper areas. I have read on here where people moved due to the wind, and snow in those elevations.
I think the plowing in Pa. is done quite well, they are up to par with that.
If I was coming from Maine, or thereabouts, and wanting a home this way for 300 or under, with hubby working in Allentown.
I'd really want a home between Sciota, Saylorsburg, or Windgap.........
Thinking that Windgap is really ideal for the situation.
Windgap has a day care right off of the town area on Sullivan trail.
It has nice homes and good school.........your hubby could get to work and back in good time. I hope this helps..........

Old 12-22-2007, 03:15 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
Wind Gap or Pen Argyl would provide you more of a town feel and have the daycare/amenities you would like. The weather on this side of the mountain is generally much milder than even after crossing into Saylorsburg. The downside to me would be a lack of reasonably priced homes in decent condition, but maybe you'd find what you are looking for.

Just down the road is Nazareth and they have a bit nicer schools and just a really nice town - it's definitely worth a look.

If you have any more questions about the Wind Gap/Nazareth area, fire away. I'm a native LOL

Old 12-22-2007, 10:20 PM

43 posts, read 167,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Brodheadsville traffic is not bad at all. At West End Fair time, yes.......avoid and take the back roads.
But, all the talk about traffic is so silly to me. Being here 4 years, I have not hardly ever been held up in traffic for more then a few minutes.
This is country, there is no city to be found in the Brodheadsville, Kunkletown area........nor in lower Effort.
Again, it is difficult to travel in those upper areas. I have read on here where people moved due to the wind, and snow in those elevations.
I think the plowing in Pa. is done quite well, they are up to par with that.
If I was coming from Maine, or thereabouts, and wanting a home this way for 300 or under, with hubby working in Allentown.
I'd really want a home between Sciota, Saylorsburg, or Windgap.........
Thinking that Windgap is really ideal for the situation.
Windgap has a day care right off of the town area on Sullivan trail.
It has nice homes and good school.........your hubby could get to work and back in good time. I hope this helps..........
Thanks Summering, I didn't want my previous post to come across like Brodheadsville has horrible traffic and not to live there. For me anyways "traffic" is in the eye of the beholder. For my parents, it was too much for them. For me it's nothing compared to where I have lived in Kansas City and Texas etc. Honestly I would keep all of these areas open to you. I think without making a trip to the area and seeing all of the different towns in first person it's hard for anyone to know what you really like. Pretty much any where you go there will be things you like and things you don't like about it. Some people hate the extra snow and some folks like it. Anyways, you get my point. The Poconos have so many different types of areas concerning weather/shopping/conveniences. You can be in Stroudsburg/Tannersville and have all the conveniences known to man and then go north about 30-45 minutes to Dingmans Ferry and be in the middle of nowhere. As far as Effort goes, my parents and their neighbors absolutely love it. I on the other hand wasn't in love with the schools and the problems Monroe County seems to be having with the uprise in crime and overcrowding etc. so we went further up north and live in a very rural area to have the better schools and easier commute to NJ for the hubby. It all depends on what you're priorities are I suppose.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Wind Gap or Pen Argyl would provide you more of a town feel and have the daycare/amenities you would like. The weather on this side of the mountain is generally much milder than even after crossing into Saylorsburg. The downside to me would be a lack of reasonably priced homes in decent condition, but maybe you'd find what you are looking for.

Just down the road is Nazareth and they have a bit nicer schools and just a really nice town - it's definitely worth a look.

If you have any more questions about the Wind Gap/Nazareth area, fire away. I'm a native LOL
I appreciate the previous posters post, .......it is really hard to find a place for someone. Peoples likes are all so different.
However, I really agree with Karen concerning the location. The weather is a bit milder just over the mountain.
I think the location is fantastic for this person, whos husband will work in Allentown. Plus, there is daycare there, grocery stores, and a few good choices for shopping.
I never wanted my husband more then 40 min. or less away, when he worked.
When you have children, you want your husband to get home in a reasonable time frame.
I think Karens suggestions for the poster are good.
Sometimes it is more important to take less of a house, to be close to all you need.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,794 times
Hi , we are searching for a decent place to live in PA. Something close to shopping but far enough from the hustle and bustle. Don't mind driving out 30mins to shopping and stuff. Will be driving to northern NJ for work. Not a fan of crowded,loud noise ..like peace and quiet.Reading a lot of negative reviews about some towns in Monroe county. Can someone please share some insights.
Much appreciated.
Sheila

Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
You should start your own thread in the NEPA section of this forum.
(But I'm not sure why you want to live in PA and drive to northern NJ for work. The commute is brutal. I'd seriously consider living closer to your work. Whatever you think you'll save by living in PA, you'll lose in terms of quality of life, schools, infrastructure, housing values etc)

Old 06-12-2017, 07:42 AM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
We are moving to PA, and I cannot recommend enough that you go and visit the areas around where your husband will be working. We did and went to Plan B, our original plan would not work for us in reality.

Also please get a good map, pinpoint Allentown and draw a circle 15miles outside of Allentown all around. Google is your friend. While we have decided and placed a bid on our house, we are keeping a notebook with all the groceries, pharmacies - areas of importance to us. We don't mind living in a town population 492 but you have children, you may want to be nearer schools and school age population than we will be.

It might be best if you rent until you are certain of the area. Our situation is different so we need to buy and my husband is fairly familiar with the areas around Gettysburg - where we plan on living.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 AM

232 posts, read 278,151 times
Yout best bet look to Smithfield \ middle Smithfield twp to commute jersey.why not consider warren county jersey?

Old 06-18-2017, 02:13 AM

232 posts, read 278,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
You should start your own thread in the NEPA section of this forum.
(But I'm not sure why you want to live in PA and drive to northern NJ for work. The commute is brutal. I'd seriously consider living closer to your work. Whatever you think you'll save by living in PA, you'll lose in terms of quality of life, schools, infrastructure, housing values etc)
Smithfield / middle Smithfield twp is your best bet for commute to jersey. Why not consider warren county nj?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania