Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Opinions on recent 54% increase in sewer utility in Moscow area; feedback on overall cause and effect of increase, positive and negative comments okay

Old 12-16-2007, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,381 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,
I would appreciate any positive or negative feedback on the recent 54% increase in the sewer utility. Also any insights into the fact that we are overloaded with sewer connections and this is the answer we all knew was coming. Does real estate rule -more residents, more sales, more money-whose pockets? How does this increase affect you, your community, and your budget? If you would like to be credited as a quote, please include your name and area. If anonymous, it's okay as well.
Thanks!
Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee705 View Post
Dear Friends,
I would appreciate any positive or negative feedback on the recent 54% increase in the sewer utility. Also any insights into the fact that we are overloaded with sewer connections and this is the answer we all knew was coming. Does real estate rule -more residents, more sales, more money-whose pockets? How does this increase affect you, your community, and your budget? If you would like to be credited as a quote, please include your name and area. If anonymous, it's okay as well.
Thanks!
Lee
Well, based upon recent issues I've been having with immature folks using my real name against my family, I'd advise folks on this forum not to post their name and/or hometown on this forum. If you wish to make a statement to what sounds like a member of the media here, please send him or her a private direct message with your name and hometown, but then also only do so if you are comfortable in doing so.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
To address your inquiry, I live in Northern Luzerne County, so I won't be a good source to use for a quote as a result of me not residing in Moscow Borough. However, growth in the North Pocono area is inevitable, which is also why I don't understand the mass revolt against the new high school. As the population grows, so does the demand for services (hence necessitating higher taxes/fees to pay for them).

Just look at the U.S. Census Bureau for Moscow. In 1990 there was a population of 1,527 in the borough. In 2000 there were 1,883. The estimate for 2006 is 1,944. I'd have to say that right now there are probably 2,000 people living in this borough, an increase of roughly 1/3 since 1990, thanks mostly due to Harmony Hills. In 1990 Moscow was little more than a rural country hamlet. Now it is the center for the North Pocono area, which is being redefined as being "outlying suburban" from "rural." With each new subdivision, such as Independence Ridge, Glen Meadow, Windsor Hill, Stonefield Estates, etc., the stress placed upon municipal services, the school district, etc. only worsens. Now that the overflow growth from Monroe County is epxected to begin spilling up I-380 into the Moscow/Daleville area in the coming years, this sewer upgrade was inevitable. Moscow is cursed with a prime location for falling victim to urban sprawl, being the intermediary between the Poconos and Scranton. As the Abingtons continue to become overpopulated, folks from Scranton seeking a more laid-back lifestyle are considering North Pocono. At the same time, as Monroe County becomes more congested, folks are beginning to look into North Pocono.

Greater Moscow is only going to continue to grow in the coming years; it's better that folks there face the music now instead of paying more for these sewer upgrades down the line. Likewise, I'd rather have my taxes raised modestly now to pay for a new high school that is only somewhat needed as opposed to having them jacked up even higher 5-10 years down the road when a new high school will be DIRELY needed.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Oh, gee, maybe I should set my sights on a different place to call my new home.
54% increase...so what does that mean in $$??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania