Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 9,228 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Well I'm just a phone call away from accepting a job at Tobyhanna Army depot. My wife and I will be relocating to the area all the way from Albuquerque, NM. We're originally from Western NY and we've been trying to get back to the NE for a couple years now. The rapid growing western city life is just too much for us. Plus our families are both rooted around western NY. We're researching a place to live right now. We're looking to rent for a while til we get a feel for the area. We've been looking on Craigslist a lot in the Scranton and Poconos areas. I know that pics can be deceiving so if there is any info you guys may have on nice rural areas to live, then please feel free to help us out. We're looking to live in a nice quiet area maybe no more than 30-45 minutes to the base. We'd also prefer to be within a 30 minute drive to shopping/dining. A safe area is our main priority. I've driven through a lot of Western PA but never have been through the East. We would greatly appreciate any ideas on where to look. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,198 times
You are not alone in your quest for info on this forum. There have been quite a few folks relocating due to a new job at Tobyhanna. I'm sure you will get plenty of answers on the subject, but in the meantime, if you do a search for 'Tobyhanna' in this forum, you will find lots of replies to posts similar to yours.
Good Luck...this is truly God's Country!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Oh my gosh! I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner---our sub-forum gets a bit busy sometimes, and occasionally questions go unanswered.

Let me start by saying that there are many other folks in the same boat as you. The Tobyhanna Army Depot is hiring many more employees, and a few others have posted on this same forum asking for advice. Most had the same general requirements as yourselves---relatively easy commute to both the base and shopping/dining in a semi-rural area. To me, I'd say that the North Pocono School District in Southern Lackawanna County (Moscow, Daleville, Elmhurst, Mt. Cobb, Thornhurst, etc.) would be your best bet. It lies along I-380 midway between the base and Scranton, a city of 72,000 where you'll find a lot of urban amenities.

The only downside here is that most seem to want to rent, including yourselves, yet rentals are very scarce in the Moscow area---single-family detached homes are much more common. I believe I saw an advertisement for a newer townhome rental community in the Scranton inner-ring suburb of Dunmore. That would put you 30 minutes from the base and right in the middle of services/conveniences. I don't blame you for wanting to rent first until you decide if this area is a good fit. As you can see with another poll I posted, which you (and 48 others) voted in, more people are happy living here than are unhappy, but many of the unhappy ones are downright bitter---I'd hate to see you plunk down money for a home only to regret your decision in coming here and then being tied down. As for me, I think our location is ideal. We're two hours from either New York City or Philadelphia, yet we have a fraction of the cost-of-living, crime, traffic, etc. If anything, I see us becoming one giant exurb of both cities in the coming decades, especially when the commuter rail line linking Scranton to NJ is completed in probably another 6-8 years.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,131,008 times
Default welcome

there are alot of nice ,safe areas in nepa, finding a rental is another story. I recomend clarks summit,it is a very safe area, shopping is close, so are restaurants, the viewmont mall is approx. 6 miles away, the commute from tobyhanna is about 35 mintues, route 380 to 81 exit 194. people sometimes rent out there homes, you would need to check with a realtor. also the up and coming electric city, scranton is about 8 miles away. feel free to ask for more info............. best of luck

Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,228 times
Thanks guys. We are visiting our families up in Western NY right now but I plan to be going down there to PA this weekend to scope out the area and I start work on the 7th. Hopefully we can get into a place soon. Are there any nice townhomes or condos with garages that allow dogs? I am having a very hard time finding places to rent online. I would prefer to have a garage and we are not separating from our German Shepherd. My wife and the dog are gonna stay up in NY while I look for homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania