Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 19,237 times

Advertisements

I am starting work in Scranton on the 15th of Aug. I will be arriving a few days before to find an apartment. I will be working on the Northwest edge of Scranton. We have two children 5 and 3. Looking for some advice on neighborhoods and suburbs with decent schools. Do any of the schools have pre-k? I don't mind having a bit of a commute, so are the surrounding school districts worth it. We will only be in this apartment for one year max while we look for a home (I have been looking hard at lake Ariel, it seems beautiful). Ideally we would like a two br apartment around 700/month. I have never been to the Scranton area (lifelong Southerner) so this is all new to me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM

452 posts, read 681,807 times
The smart bet would have been to visit the area BEFORE accepting a job and planning a move. That being said, you're basically screwed....the place is a crap hole and getting worse by the day. Good Luck!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,549 times
C'Mon Trips, it aint all that bad!! Politics here is bloodsport, but aside from that, the area isnt all that bad.. Newton /Ransom, Falls, Dalton, are all good if looking for a more rural setting. Clarks Summit Dickson, Taylor and Old Forge arent bad for Urban.. There are even nice parts of Scranton, but the wage tax is less in other communities.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
C'Mon Trips, it aint all that bad!! Politics here is bloodsport, but aside from that, the area isnt all that bad.. Newton /Ransom, Falls, Dalton, are all good if looking for a more rural setting. Clarks Summit Dickson, Taylor and Old Forge arent bad for Urban.. There are even nice parts of Scranton, but the wage tax is less in other communities.
thank you johnq. I tried to rep you but it said to spread it around, which I know my father told me never to do!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM

452 posts, read 681,807 times
I'll be the first to admit there are many outstanding parts of NEPA. However, when you bring Scranton, WB and Hazleton into the mix, I question anyone who thinks moving here with a family with any long term expectations is a good idea. The area is still trending downward with numerous financial issues still unresolved. Scranton in particular when thinking in terms of ever increasing taxes with little or no services rendered in return. Until certain economic indices show positive and sustained improvement, I'm standing pat that there are better choices to be made for anyone thinking of relocating to the area.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 PM

Well considering I am moving from the poorest area of the country and getting a sizable wage boost I doubt Scranton will be that big of a disappointment. I have seen quite a few rentals listed in the towns in between Scranton and Wilkes-barre. Is it relatively easy to commute across Scranton?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtitus55 View Post
Well considering I am moving from the poorest area of the country and getting a sizable wage boost I doubt Scranton will be that big of a disappointment. I have seen quite a few rentals listed in the towns in between Scranton and Wilkes-barre. Is it relatively easy to commute across Scranton?
Yes

Old 08-04-2013, 02:35 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtitus55 View Post

If you have a car, 10 minutes end to end, if your looking for public transport the COLTS bus system is available..

Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Are there any advantages to living inside the city limits? Or is it just higher taxes.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,228 times
While the wage tax is higher, rental prices tend to be lower, and taxes on homes tend to be lower than surrounding areas. I may not be able to say this in 2014. There is no other way to say it, the city government and many of the services...simply suck.

My son was 6 when we moved here, except for a 3/4's of a year in private school...his elementary school years and knock wood so far middle school, he is doing wonderful and has finished his 6th grade year with a 97.2 average. I live in North Scranton, and except for one douche neighbor I love my neighbors and little neighborhood. Hope this helps, and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania