Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 10,299 times

Advertisements

Hi newbie here , just looking for some info .

What is this area like ? Is it rural ? Are the schools good ? Do they take kindly to transplants ? Is it a "churchy" area or infested with drugs ?

I have searched and cannot find a main website for this area. Any local newspapers ? Anyone here from Greentown ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Parts of it are rough in the winter ,,, Your shopping is limited to Dutch's Sur save unless you want to drive to Hamlin or Mount Pocono . In the summer the town is busy .( With lake Wallenpaupack nearby ) you get a lot of tourists ,, In the winter it pretty much dies out , A 4x4 or AWD car would be best in the winter ,, I would avoid all community's unless you want to pay HOA fee's and be told what to do ...

It is pretty rural .. But its a nice area .

Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I only drive through the area occasionally. I have purchased our ducks up there. It is a very scenic area and I don't think that you will have to worry about drugs and crime – but it would be better to hear from other residents of the community. Your shopping choices will be limited; as Riverside pointed out. However; your new area is centrally located to either the Hamlin, Mt. Pocono, Moscow or Scranton. If you plan on commuting to work; you probably could shop close to your work. You will be close to recreation – if that is what you are about?

Anyway; good luck and welcome to our area!

PS Riverside is also right about the 4X4 or AWD car.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
I met my wife down the road from there, At "The Hotel" in Newfoundland ..

Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Just curious, what school district services Greentown and Newfoundland?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Just curious, what school district services Greentown and Newfoundland?
Wallenpaupack Area, I believe.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I hope that somebody gives us first hand information on the Wallenpaupack Area SD. I am a little confused. I have heard some people say that it is a great SD and the taxes are lower than the surrounding communities. On the other hand, going back to a kids in poverty article; they were listed that around 50% of the kids were receiving free or supplemented school lunches. Of course you don't have to be rich to be smart. I am just a little confused how a poor SD can also be a great SD? I would just like to hear how it all works.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
ty!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:55 AM

6 posts, read 10,299 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,939 times
We own a home in Greentown and think the Newfoundland/Greentown area is quite nice. It's very quiet. The northern portion of town is close to the lake. We live close to Newfoundland (not so close to the lake). There are quite a few nice communities. Not sure if that is what you will like as communities comes with rules and dues. The rules and dues vary widely from community to community. Our community has very few rules and very low dues (covers road maintenance and central trash dumpsters). While we do not have young children, the Wallenpaupack Area School District seems to be quite well regarded. I'm sure you can get detailed information online when you want to compare districts. Also, I believe there is a photo tour available for viewing on this site. Any more questions, just let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania